9th Proz.com translation contest: Business. Submission phase is open
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Contest partners must be registered with ProZ.com Sep 9, 2009

Hello M. Ali,

I am afraid contest partners must have an account with ProZ.com. A free account can be registered here.

You can find more information about entering the contest with a partner here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Lucia vs the FAQ Sep 9, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
I am afraid contest partners must have an account with ProZ.com.

You can find more information about entering the contest with a partner here.

The URL above says:

Yes. It is possible for two people to work together on a contest entry. In these cases, one of the partners submits the contest entry, identifying his/her contest partner at the time of submission.

Note that non-members can pair up with site members to enter the contest. The option to submit an entry will only be visible to the site member. After submitting the contest entry, he/she should identify the site user as his/her contest partner.

...which seems to contradict your first sentence, Lucia. Or does the term "site member" in the above FAQ refer to platinum members only?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com site members and non-members/users Sep 9, 2009

Hello Samuel,

Yes. "Site members" refers to ProZ.com paying members while "non-members" refers to ProZ.com site users, those with a registered account.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Lucia

Duilio Pintagro
Duilio Pintagro  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Enjoying the contest Sep 9, 2009

Hello everyone!

Yes, indeed I noticed there was no Italian source text... and wondered why...
anyway, I'm working on the German one... and if I have time I'm going to try the English one...

Thanks for these contests...!

It's a joy to participate in them!

From Sicily
ciao e ancora grazie e buon lavoro!
Duilio

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Italian text should be available in short Sep 9, 2009

Hello Duilio,

I'm glad you are enjoying the contest.

The Italian text is to be confirmed. I will let all contestants know once it becomes available.

Good luck!

Lucia

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Contest entries supposed to be anonymous Sep 9, 2009

Am I the only one that feels rather uncomfortable reading postings where people announce that they will be entering the contest and sometimes even specify in which language?

Contest participation supposed to be anonymous until the final voting is over and the results are announced. I think this rule is there to ensure fairness, a level playing field and to prevent any possible influence on anybody when it comes to participation or voting. It doesn't matter whether participation in t
... See more
Am I the only one that feels rather uncomfortable reading postings where people announce that they will be entering the contest and sometimes even specify in which language?

Contest participation supposed to be anonymous until the final voting is over and the results are announced. I think this rule is there to ensure fairness, a level playing field and to prevent any possible influence on anybody when it comes to participation or voting. It doesn't matter whether participation in that pair is large or small, knowing that a certain person is among the participants will inevitably trigger speculation (even if it is private speculation in someone's own mind) as to which entry belongs to him/her.
Since Contest rules forbid such speculations, it would be practical not to encourage it, so could we all please stop announcing participation in the contest?

Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
+1 Sep 9, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Contest participation supposed to be anonymous until the final voting is over and the results are announced. I think this rule is there to ensure fairness, a level playing field and to prevent any possible influence on anybody when it comes to participation or voting. It doesn't matter whether participation in that pair is large or small, knowing that a certain person is among the participants will inevitably trigger speculation (even if it is private speculation in someone's own mind) as to which entry belongs to him/her.
Since Contest rules forbid such speculations, it would be practical not to encourage it, so could we all please stop announcing participation in the contest?

Thanks
Katalin

Agree with Katalin,

Also, there is another fact:
Most of the people (I can say 90%) who participate in contest related forums are at the same time contestants.
So, all posts here in some way show the identity of the future contestants.
Can you do something with this?
May be you can hide the identity of all posters and just call them "User" during the active contest.

I think such implementation will help everyone to discuss the contest in more details.

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
12 days for contest submission ! ? Sep 10, 2009

I am kind of baffled by the unseemly haste for this contest. - The announcement for it arrived on Monday September 07, end of submission is given for Saturday September 19, mere 12 days in all.

I notice that the texts seem this time to be a bit shorter than before. - But twelve days are good for one pairing, maybe for two.

Somehow the organizers do not seem to consider that people might wish to submit for more than two pairings - that actually some regard it as an essen
... See more
I am kind of baffled by the unseemly haste for this contest. - The announcement for it arrived on Monday September 07, end of submission is given for Saturday September 19, mere 12 days in all.

I notice that the texts seem this time to be a bit shorter than before. - But twelve days are good for one pairing, maybe for two.

Somehow the organizers do not seem to consider that people might wish to submit for more than two pairings - that actually some regard it as an essential part of the entertainment to come forward in several pairings.

Italian is now withdrawn. - Do you believe in earnest that it would be fair to come out with a new Italian text within that same deadline?

In the announcement it was said that texts for more languages might still be brought in. - When shall that happen, and with what deadline?

I propose October 19 as deadline.

[Edited at 2009-09-10 01:17 GMT]
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Observing contest rules in the forum Sep 10, 2009

Thanks, Katalin. It is true that contest rules should also be observed in the forums. For this reason, I kindly request contest participants as well as other site members to have these rules in mind when posting comments here to ensure the legitimacy of the contest.

If rules are followed, there is no need to hide the identity of forum posters.

Thank you all in adva
... See more
Thanks, Katalin. It is true that contest rules should also be observed in the forums. For this reason, I kindly request contest participants as well as other site members to have these rules in mind when posting comments here to ensure the legitimacy of the contest.

If rules are followed, there is no need to hide the identity of forum posters.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Italian source text Sep 13, 2009

Hi Lucia,

As I see from previous posts, there should be a new Italian text posted soon. But, as Roland points out, what about the deadline? If the deadline for submissions is 19 September, that leaves things pretty tight; less than a week to go and no sign of the text yet...
One of the enjoyable aspects of the contest is having a lot more time to tackle the text than you would normally have in a professional situation, time to go back and reread after a couple of days, a chan
... See more
Hi Lucia,

As I see from previous posts, there should be a new Italian text posted soon. But, as Roland points out, what about the deadline? If the deadline for submissions is 19 September, that leaves things pretty tight; less than a week to go and no sign of the text yet...
One of the enjoyable aspects of the contest is having a lot more time to tackle the text than you would normally have in a professional situation, time to go back and reread after a couple of days, a chance to really polish it. Unless we get an Italian text soon, or unless the deadline is moved (and maybe should be anyway), that will be impossible.
On another point, just out of curiosity, how did the original Italian text get through the net? Don't you have the contest source texts chosen and vetted by mother tongue speakers?

all the best
Simon
Collapse

simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Italian source text - again Sep 13, 2009

Hi Lucia,

just managed to get a look at the Italian source text which was removed; I was unfortunately away when it was first posted. Must say I am shocked that something like this was ever posted. As the link makes clear, this was originally a Spanish text. Texts should surely be originals, not pieces already translated, and especially not using MT, which was the impression I had here.
Proz has done, and is doing a lot to promote our profession and its status, and I find thi
... See more
Hi Lucia,

just managed to get a look at the Italian source text which was removed; I was unfortunately away when it was first posted. Must say I am shocked that something like this was ever posted. As the link makes clear, this was originally a Spanish text. Texts should surely be originals, not pieces already translated, and especially not using MT, which was the impression I had here.
Proz has done, and is doing a lot to promote our profession and its status, and I find this slip-up embarrassing to say the least. Thank goodness you removed it. The Proz contest awards themselves could become a widely recognised mark of excellence, but only if this kind of elementary mistake is avoided. Could you please introduce some preliminary vetting system to ensure that only 'linguistically genuine' texts are used for contests?

best wishes
Simon
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:24
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
To Lucia: Contest phases, deadlines, timing Sep 13, 2009

I just double checked the main contest page for the description and timing of the contest phases.
Lucia, could you clarify what will happen if after the submission deadline (Sept 19) there are pairs with less than 3 entries, you extend the submission in those pairs?

1. Will submission be extended in all other pairs, too?

2. Will submission be extended only in pairs with less than 3 entries and all other pairs closed (with entries invisible) until enough submission
... See more
I just double checked the main contest page for the description and timing of the contest phases.
Lucia, could you clarify what will happen if after the submission deadline (Sept 19) there are pairs with less than 3 entries, you extend the submission in those pairs?

1. Will submission be extended in all other pairs, too?

2. Will submission be extended only in pairs with less than 3 entries and all other pairs closed (with entries invisible) until enough submission comes in all pairs?

3. Will pairs with enough entries go into first round voting while some pairs with not enough entries are still open for submission?

Please refer to a previous thread where we discussed why #3 is problematic, and where we got a promise it will not happen.

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/132860-seeking_opinions_on_the_timing_of_contest_phases.html

Katalin
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Italian text should be available soon Sep 14, 2009

Hello Simon,

I apologize again for the Italian text that was offered when the contest was released and for the inconvenience this may have caused those who want to participate in the contest in any pair with Italian as source language.

All contest texts are checked by native speakers of the languages in which texts are written. The Italian source text will be available as soon as it gets approved and submission deadline will be extended for pairs with Italian as sour
... See more
Hello Simon,

I apologize again for the Italian text that was offered when the contest was released and for the inconvenience this may have caused those who want to participate in the contest in any pair with Italian as source language.

All contest texts are checked by native speakers of the languages in which texts are written. The Italian source text will be available as soon as it gets approved and submission deadline will be extended for pairs with Italian as source language. I will let you all know when the text becomes available.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th Proz.com translation contest: Business. Submission phase is open

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »