Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
9th Proz.com translation contest: Business. Submission phase is open
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Sep 7, 2009

Dear members,

I'm happy to announce that the 9th ProZ.com translation contest has officially started. The theme for this contest is "Business".

The submission phase is now open, and entries will be accepted until the deadline of Saturday, September 19.

There is currently a total of eight source texts, in the following languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, French, Catalan and Italian.

The winner of this contest will
... See more
Dear members,

I'm happy to announce that the 9th ProZ.com translation contest has officially started. The theme for this contest is "Business".

The submission phase is now open, and entries will be accepted until the deadline of Saturday, September 19.

There is currently a total of eight source texts, in the following languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, French, Catalan and Italian.

The winner of this contest will be awarded an all expense paid trip to a ProZ.com conference in the venue of their choice. Winners for each language pair will also receive a digital certificate in their profile and recognition within the community.

For more information, visit the contest page or submit a support request.

You may also find it useful to take a look at the contest FAQs and the contest rules.

You are welcome to check the texts and start submitting your entries here.

Thanks to the members of the community who have proposed the texts for this contest, especially the authors of two original pieces of writing presented on this edition.

Good luck to all and see you in the contest!

Kind regards,

Lucia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-09 18:08 GMT]
Collapse

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 16:21
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
I do not understand the text... Sep 7, 2009

Hello Lucia, how are you?

Thank you for launching again this activity. I like contests

I followed the link of the contest page and clicked on the Italian version to find a very very surprising test.

Now, unless I am missing an instruction or an announcement on how to proceed, besides "Enter your translation here", it seems someone has passed a text through Google Translate or other machine,
... See more
Hello Lucia, how are you?

Thank you for launching again this activity. I like contests

I followed the link of the contest page and clicked on the Italian version to find a very very surprising test.

Now, unless I am missing an instruction or an announcement on how to proceed, besides "Enter your translation here", it seems someone has passed a text through Google Translate or other machine, then copied and pasted it here. The Italian text is horrible. It is not even Italian, actually and I challenge any one to try and translate that.

I apologize in advance if this was a joke that I did not understand. Thank you also in advance for any explanation you can through this way.

Kind regards,

Fabiana
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
A new Italian source text will be selected Sep 7, 2009

Hello Fabiana and Luisa,

I apologize for having the Italian text removed from the list of source texts for the contest before announcing this action.

As per your complaints here and some I received via email, I decided to have the Italian text removed as a source text for the contest and look for a new text.

Again, I apologize if the Italian text did not seem appealing to you and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I promise to look for a bette
... See more
Hello Fabiana and Luisa,

I apologize for having the Italian text removed from the list of source texts for the contest before announcing this action.

As per your complaints here and some I received via email, I decided to have the Italian text removed as a source text for the contest and look for a new text.

Again, I apologize if the Italian text did not seem appealing to you and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I promise to look for a better text and let you know when it is available.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Luisa Doplicher (X)
Luisa Doplicher (X)
France
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks for answering Sep 7, 2009

Hello Lucia,

thanks for your answer. Just a thing - it's not that the Italian text did not seem appealing to me, it's that it wasn't Italian: it was babelfishese.
Thanks, regards
Luisa (It mothertongue)

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:21
Swedish to English
+ ...
I appreciate that you have to use texts that are out of copyright... Sep 7, 2009

... but did you really have to choose a selection of an English text that's so misogynic?

"Give fools the first and women the last word. The meat's always in the middle of the sandwich. Of course, a light butter on either side of it doesn't do any harm if it's intended for a man who likes butter."

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ.com contests just call upon language professionals to show their translating skills Sep 7, 2009

Hello Madeleine,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

Just note that the source texts selected for translation contests are generally short literary excerpts of general appeal and that all the source texts presented in the contest are proposed by the community.

The viewpoints expressed in the content of the source texts presented in this and previous contests are not (and do not have to be) endorsed by site staff or contestants. ProZ.com contests just ca
... See more
Hello Madeleine,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

Just note that the source texts selected for translation contests are generally short literary excerpts of general appeal and that all the source texts presented in the contest are proposed by the community.

The viewpoints expressed in the content of the source texts presented in this and previous contests are not (and do not have to be) endorsed by site staff or contestants. ProZ.com contests just call upon language professionals to show their translating skills without regard to their own viewpoints.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:21
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm not sure if the English source is a piece that can test one's translation skills Sep 8, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

... but did you really have to choose a selection of an English text that's so misogynic?

"Give fools the first and women the last word. The meat's always in the middle of the sandwich. Of course, a light butter on either side of it doesn't do any harm if it's intended for a man who likes butter."

I agree with Madeleine and it is very misogynic.

It is a very unusual piece and full of phrases that are very difficult to understand and/or very hard to translate into Chinese. I wonder why this piece was chosen.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Full of phrases that are difficult to understand/translate? Sep 8, 2009

jyuan_us wrote:

It is a very unusual piece and full of phrases that are very difficult to understand and/or very hard to translate into Chinese. I wonder why this piece was chosen.

I guess contest texts are chosen precisely because they are unusual and because they have phrases that are difficult to understand/translate. What would be the point of the contest if a "typical" piece (whatever that is) was chosen that is easy to understand/translate?

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Things do change Sep 8, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

The English source text was written in 1902. They were not politically correct in the Medieval Times, were they?

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
not business but literature Sep 8, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

I guess contest texts are chosen precisely because they are unusual and because they have phrases that are difficult to understand/translate. What would be the point of the contest if a "typical" piece (whatever that is) was chosen that is easy to understand/translate?

I agree and I found it rather interesting to imagine the mindset of a 1902 businessman and to translate it accordingly. However, I would say that this is not a "business" text at all (at least for English). I would rather consider it a literary text in which a businessman of 1902 is getting philosophic and gives advice about one aspect of his life. "Business" as I understand it would have been an excerpt from a complicated contract, a financial report or such.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The book has been translated to Hungarian Sep 8, 2009

I received an answer that this fact (already translated and published) was not an exclusion criteria, because it "hasn't been translated to several languages".
I do think that this fact raises questions like copyright, risk of intentional/unintentional plagiarism ... What do you think?

Regards,
Katalin

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Thanks Luisa ... Sep 8, 2009

Luisa Doplicher wrote:

Hello Lucia,

thanks for your answer. Just a thing - it's not that the Italian text did not seem appealing to me, it's that it wasn't Italian: it was babelfishese.
Thanks, regards
Luisa (It mothertongue)

I thought there was something wrong with my Italian

Sarah Ferrara
Sarah Ferrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
explanation? Sep 8, 2009

Luisa Doplicher wrote:

Hello Lucia,

Thanks, regards
Luisa (It mothertongue)

Hello Lucia,
Just to provide support to the poster above. I am surprised by your comment "did not seem appealing": who on earth submitted this text? Don't you have people who actually speak the language verify the choices before posting them?

The text that was submitted in what is supposed to be a serious translation contest was an obvious machine translation (and not a very good one - I think google could have done better). I actually thought it was a joke.
Can you provide an explanation as how such a mistake could have happened instead of trying to imply we just didn't like the text please?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Could you please specify errors found in the text? Sep 8, 2009

Hello Sarah,

I am afraid I cannot provide details on how the Italian text was selected. However, could those of you who know Italian send me a brief email detailing the errors or problems you found in the text, to help me better look into this?

I will take a look at your suggestions and take them into account for the selection of a new text.

Thanks in advance.

Regard
... See more
Hello Sarah,

I am afraid I cannot provide details on how the Italian text was selected. However, could those of you who know Italian send me a brief email detailing the errors or problems you found in the text, to help me better look into this?

I will take a look at your suggestions and take them into account for the selection of a new text.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th Proz.com translation contest: Business. Submission phase is open

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »