Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:32
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Are you trying to scare me? Jul 30, 2008

You are too funny, I see I'm going to have a good in time in Ireland, whatever I choose.
The weeks that would be good for me seem to be the most difficult to find a course, but I'll try and send a couple of emails today.

And yes, I think I agree with you that maybe a small centre is better, despite I would not mind going back to Dublin, which I have visited very quicky.

And thank you to Dolores O'Riordan on my behalf too...
See more
You are too funny, I see I'm going to have a good in time in Ireland, whatever I choose.
The weeks that would be good for me seem to be the most difficult to find a course, but I'll try and send a couple of emails today.

And yes, I think I agree with you that maybe a small centre is better, despite I would not mind going back to Dublin, which I have visited very quicky.

And thank you to Dolores O'Riordan on my behalf too
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ballythis and Ballythat Jul 30, 2008

She'll go and see Ballycastle, Ballymoney, Ballymena, Ballygobackwards and the whole bally shebang, probably fall in love with some plausible spud-eater while she's at it, and have a good time.

Ballycastle - yes, that's my part of the world - or, as we call it here: an open-air asylum, which makes it all the more interesting...

As for falling in love with a spud-eater, well, that's me blown out: I hate the damn things. If I'd been around during the famine, I'd surely have starved to death. Along with all the rest, of course.

Back on topic, and Elena did originally state an interest in doing a formal course. That's for her to decide if she needs such a thing. In which case she needs to act pretty fast I'd say. On the other hand, if it's just a general desire to refresh or recycle her English, then I personally wouldn't bother, but go for what others have described as 'smaller centres/towns' and play it by ear from there.

And - hate to go back again to an earlier point, but it is a salient one - wherever she goes the local accent will be a factor to deal with. (I could never figure out what southern Spanish speakers were saying, they just eat their words too much for my ears. I do remember a conversation with a man from Malaga. I probably only got one word in five. I too just stood there nodding like an eejit til he ran out of words to say, then made my excuses and left.)

As for Mervyn, well, he's a quare geg, that's for sure. Now I know where his dry humour comes from: "Coul' rain".

Elena Simonelli
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to study or not to study? Jul 30, 2008

The idea came out because I was supposed to go to Edimburgh for an interpreting course, but I couldn't fit in.
It could be nice to spend a few days just talking to people...
Another option is not to book anything and see if I find something interesting when I'm there.
I'll stay in Limerick (Bunratty) 4 days, but I guess I'll be with Spanish (os Basque) people most of the time; so I thought when my husband and other friends leave I may stay and go to school...

Caro McL
Caro McL
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
Music, trips and other activities Jul 30, 2008

Hi Elena,
To echo another post, a short course in something you enjoy may also be a great way to improve your English. I think that some of the language schools in galway try to incorporate a traditional music session, activities and outings as part of their offerings. But you'd want to get cracking soon to book something.
Good luck!
Caroline

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Galway Bay Jul 30, 2008

To echo Caroline's echo, and having now thought about it some more, I was in Galway with some, er, Latins, a few years ago, and they loved it. So did I - I had never been before. We got scorching weather that year, too, and as far as I can see the summers over there don't seem too bad now, thanks to all that global warming.

I remember being struck by all that seafood and fish on offer there too, instead of just being exported to Spain and wherever because, with the cultural excepti
... See more
To echo Caroline's echo, and having now thought about it some more, I was in Galway with some, er, Latins, a few years ago, and they loved it. So did I - I had never been before. We got scorching weather that year, too, and as far as I can see the summers over there don't seem too bad now, thanks to all that global warming.

I remember being struck by all that seafood and fish on offer there too, instead of just being exported to Spain and wherever because, with the cultural exception of fish & chip shops doling out selling hake and cod, the Irish still prefer meat.
Collapse

Elena Simonelli
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Sep 23, 2008

Dear Irish collegues,
I have long wanted to tell you about my short stay in Ireland, but it was kind of personal...

First of all be sure that I enjoed my days in Limerick and Bunratty so much, I fell in
love with Ireland, your way of life, your music and your people.
Apart from Limerick, I only visited the Cliffs of Moher, but the rain was so
bad I hardly saw anything.

I had not booked any school and I thought I would find some course once ther
... See more
Dear Irish collegues,
I have long wanted to tell you about my short stay in Ireland, but it was kind of personal...

First of all be sure that I enjoed my days in Limerick and Bunratty so much, I fell in
love with Ireland, your way of life, your music and your people.
Apart from Limerick, I only visited the Cliffs of Moher, but the rain was so
bad I hardly saw anything.

I had not booked any school and I thought I would find some course once there, but the day before leaving I found out I am pregnant, so I only stayed for 5 days (on holiday) and then went back home for the medical exams etc.
So Guinnes and Kilkenny flew, but no such huge amount for me

I may still go back for a course next year or, more probably, in 2-3 years.

Thank you again!
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well done Sep 24, 2008

Elena,

Very happy to hear it all went well, and congratulations on the pregnancy!!!!

Mervyn

sophia111
sophia111
Ireland
Why dont you try this?? Aug 19, 2010

Hi,

Why dont you try further education courses? Further educatiuon courses are available in different categories like education, engineering and medical and others. The benefit of these courses are that they can be done while doing the job. There are sites available which provide the information regarding these courses with full details about the college, fee strustur
... See more
Hi,

Why dont you try further education courses? Further educatiuon courses are available in different categories like education, engineering and medical and others. The benefit of these courses are that they can be done while doing the job. There are sites available which provide the information regarding these courses with full details about the college, fee strusture and other required details. We can compare different courses simultaneously.

Thanks.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Summer course in Ireland

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »