Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:31
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2008

Dear collegues,

next week I will be in Ireland, for personal reasons, but I would like to take the chance to refresh my English with a formal course.

I have had a look at the websites of the main universities (I'll go to Limerick first, but I don't mind moving somewhere else later), but they do not seem to offer short courses.

Of course the best would be an interpreting or translation course, but this time of the year I cannot be picky I'm afraid: so even a
... See more
Dear collegues,

next week I will be in Ireland, for personal reasons, but I would like to take the chance to refresh my English with a formal course.

I have had a look at the websites of the main universities (I'll go to Limerick first, but I don't mind moving somewhere else later), but they do not seem to offer short courses.

Of course the best would be an interpreting or translation course, but this time of the year I cannot be picky I'm afraid: so even an advance English course would be good.

Thank you for your help.
Elena
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Course Jul 29, 2008

Hi Elena,

The dump I'm from in Ireland is no pearl among cities by any means, but judging by what Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries said about Limerick, her home town, in an interview a few years ago, it may be true you won't "mind moving somewhere else later". I accept that the translating fraternity in Limerick or people from there may wish to put me straight on this.

If I were you I'd go to Dublin, forget the course, and refresh your English much more by visiting
... See more
Hi Elena,

The dump I'm from in Ireland is no pearl among cities by any means, but judging by what Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries said about Limerick, her home town, in an interview a few years ago, it may be true you won't "mind moving somewhere else later". I accept that the translating fraternity in Limerick or people from there may wish to put me straight on this.

If I were you I'd go to Dublin, forget the course, and refresh your English much more by visiting the bars and the streets.

Enjoy it anyway!
Collapse

Caro McL
Caro McL
Ireland
Local time: 23:31
German to English
+ ...
Language courses in Limerick and Galway Jul 29, 2008

First of all, welcome to Ireland. I hope you will enjoy your time here. The following are some links that may help you in finding a course that suits you. In Galway, where I am from, there are several private language schools. Limerick is well served by the University of Limerick, now the home of the localisation research centre.

At short notice you may find it difficult to get into something short term, maybe some Limerick natives c
... See more
First of all, welcome to Ireland. I hope you will enjoy your time here. The following are some links that may help you in finding a course that suits you. In Galway, where I am from, there are several private language schools. Limerick is well served by the University of Limerick, now the home of the localisation research centre.

At short notice you may find it difficult to get into something short term, maybe some Limerick natives can offer some contacts.

http://www.localisation.ie/resources/courses/summerschools/2008/index.htm

Localisation summer school in Limerick (Localisation Research Centre is in the University of Limerick)

http://www.gci.ie/ (English language courses in Salthill, Galway)

http://www.educationireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=169&Itemid=183
(language schools in Galway)

http://www.english.dcu.ie/enrolment/enrolmentonline.html (courses in Dublin City University, they seem to offer week long courses)

Good luck! I would recommend Galway but wait until after Galway Race Week, it is crazy here at the moment.

Caroline.

[Edited at 2008-07-29 13:23]
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
That's my (admittedly distant) cousin you're talking about there, Mervyn ;-) Jul 29, 2008

Chances are I am the only person from Limerick on Proz, but the University of Limerick would be a great place to do a summer course. The campus is on the river Shannon and only 3 miles from the city centre. Personally, I don't think you would learn much English in Dublin. I hear more Spanish, Polish, Italian and French on the streets of Dublin in the summer than English.

Generally, I believe learners benefit more fro
... See more
Chances are I am the only person from Limerick on Proz, but the University of Limerick would be a great place to do a summer course. The campus is on the river Shannon and only 3 miles from the city centre. Personally, I don't think you would learn much English in Dublin. I hear more Spanish, Polish, Italian and French on the streets of Dublin in the summer than English.

Generally, I believe learners benefit more from staying in a smaller city/town to learn the local language. In Dublin, it is easy not to make an effort because there are so many nationalities here. Nothing is stopping you from coming up here for the weekend though!

Orla
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go to the best part... Jul 29, 2008

...the north!

And if you make it that far, to my part of the world, feel free to call in for a wee cup o' tae and a kit-kat. I'd love to learn some Italian.

Apart from checking out universities, check out the many language schools around and about. And their prices, too.

Wherever you go, or end up, you'll have the local accent to deal with. Forewarned is forearmed.

Failing that, I can also recommend Galway and thereabouts. My brother and his fa
... See more
...the north!

And if you make it that far, to my part of the world, feel free to call in for a wee cup o' tae and a kit-kat. I'd love to learn some Italian.

Apart from checking out universities, check out the many language schools around and about. And their prices, too.

Wherever you go, or end up, you'll have the local accent to deal with. Forewarned is forearmed.

Failing that, I can also recommend Galway and thereabouts. My brother and his family live there, and although they are actually up here with us at the moment (pets and all), it's a lovely part of the country.

Good luck and enjoy. Summers can be very short here!
Collapse

Elena Simonelli
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 29, 2008

Mervyn...wow! You make me feel like going to the seaside instead.

But I will at least go through the list Caro has posted...thank you very much.
You are all very nice. John Paul, it would be great to meet if we have the chance.

OT: Mervym, I see you are now based in Bilbao, as my friend who's wedding I'm attending in Limerick. Have we ever met?

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Limerick Jul 29, 2008

I'm being awfully nosy, but where is the wedding taking place in Limerick, if you don't mind me asking? In the city, Adare, Castleconnell...?

http://www.english-in-limerick.com .... Language courses in the city
... See more
I'm being awfully nosy, but where is the wedding taking place in Limerick, if you don't mind me asking? In the city, Adare, Castleconnell...?

http://www.english-in-limerick.com .... Language courses in the city centre.

UL English programes: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Arts,%20Humanities%20&%20Social%20Sciences/Departments%20&%20Centres/Language%20Centre/English%20Language%20Programmes/Summer%20Programme
Collapse

Elena Simonelli
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wedding Jul 29, 2008

Orla Ryan wrote:

http://www.english-in-limerick.com .... Language courses in the city centre.

UL English programes: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Arts,%20Humanities%20&%20Social%20Sciences/Departments%20&%20Centres/Language%20Centre/English%20Language%20Programmes/Summer%20Programme

Bunratty
Thank you for the links!

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear hear Jul 29, 2008

...to Orla's comments on acquiring languages (and having a good time) in smaller cities and towns. Couldn't agree more.

Noni

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Frozen North Jul 29, 2008

Hi Elena,

No, I don't think we've met.

Orla could be right (please say a big thank you to Dolores if you are ever in contact, Orla, for many a pleasant evening spent in smokey bars with her voice in the background. And not with her actually there in the background, obviously).

The others are possibly right too. But maybe not all of them.

Don't listen to John Paul. Please don't go to the North, it's dreadful. You'll learn expressions that are o
... See more
Hi Elena,

No, I don't think we've met.

Orla could be right (please say a big thank you to Dolores if you are ever in contact, Orla, for many a pleasant evening spent in smokey bars with her voice in the background. And not with her actually there in the background, obviously).

The others are possibly right too. But maybe not all of them.

Don't listen to John Paul. Please don't go to the North, it's dreadful. You'll learn expressions that are only used within a radius of two and a half miles. He's only codding you (see, you see how these people talk?). And TALK, these people all talk like they were chewing aggregate. I know. I used to do it myself until I realised nobody from the outside understood a word of it.

Mervyn
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
As I said... Jul 29, 2008

...in an earlier posting, wherever you go you will have to deal with the local accent, North, South, East or West.

You follow your instincts, Elena.

As for Mervyn,
Please don't go to the North, it's dreadful. You'll learn expressions that are only used within a radius of two and a half miles.

Well, he really shouldn't talk about his beloved Euskadi like that.

Inter-county rivalry, alive and kicking, I see.

[Big, ironic smiley]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sshh. Jul 29, 2008

Keep it down, JP. It is but a rather cunning ploy. If we lambast Limerick and no-no the North, it'll only make her more interested to sightsee around our dubious little isle. People are twisted like that. You tell them not to, and they do. You tell them to, and they don't. We should know - we have the best exponents of twistedness. As any skoolboy kno, Northern Ireland has a problem for every solution.

She'll go and see Ballycastle, Ballymoney, Ballymena, Ballygobackwards and the w
... See more
Keep it down, JP. It is but a rather cunning ploy. If we lambast Limerick and no-no the North, it'll only make her more interested to sightsee around our dubious little isle. People are twisted like that. You tell them not to, and they do. You tell them to, and they don't. We should know - we have the best exponents of twistedness. As any skoolboy kno, Northern Ireland has a problem for every solution.

She'll go and see Ballycastle, Ballymoney, Ballymena, Ballygobackwards and the whole bally shebang, probably fall in love with some plausible spud-eater while she's at it, and have a good time.

And the knock-on effects could be huge. Think about it - if we keep sending these foreigners over there by proxy in large amounts practically in spite of themselves, Bord Fáilte, the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, the Giant's Causeway Trust or whatever it's called, Guinness, Jameson's, they'll all be so grateful to Proz.com they'll keep us in translations until we're in bath chairs (by the looks of the prices on this site at the moment, it's our children that'll be in translations until they're in bath chairs 'cos they won't be able to afford to retire either). We're laughing.

And, at the delightful risk of sounding like a complete pedant, I'm scribbling here from the SOUTH Basque Country. I would have added ", actually" to complete the pedantry at the end of that last sentence but I don't have time, actually.

Mervyn
Collapse

nruddy
nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:31
German to English
Codding.... Jul 29, 2008

Growing up in Cork, I thought "to cod" was a Cork expression, but looking on Google it seems to be a general culchie expression. I've never heard a Dub use it.

At the risk of the pot calling the kettle black, I'd say that Northern accents take a lot of getting used to. I have to listen extra hard to people from the six counties and Donegal to be able to understand them well. You can h
... See more
Growing up in Cork, I thought "to cod" was a Cork expression, but looking on Google it seems to be a general culchie expression. I've never heard a Dub use it.

At the risk of the pot calling the kettle black, I'd say that Northern accents take a lot of getting used to. I have to listen extra hard to people from the six counties and Donegal to be able to understand them well. You can hear Northern accents at http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/index.shtml, by the way.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You're not kidding Jul 29, 2008

Or codding, Niamh. Ten miles from my home town Coleraine I myself had difficulty understanding what they were saying out in the wilds even when growing up there. I'm due a lightning visit in August, and I'll have to practise in front of a mirror for difficult situations in supermarkets and such. When I studied in England, I obviously understood the locals because of the BBC, British culture and all that, but after six months in the first year a fellow student said: "I understand you now, but bef... See more
Or codding, Niamh. Ten miles from my home town Coleraine I myself had difficulty understanding what they were saying out in the wilds even when growing up there. I'm due a lightning visit in August, and I'll have to practise in front of a mirror for difficult situations in supermarkets and such. When I studied in England, I obviously understood the locals because of the BBC, British culture and all that, but after six months in the first year a fellow student said: "I understand you now, but before I didn't get a single word of it. I just kept nodding as you talked, and if you started to look puzzled because I had nodded yes where I shouldn't have, I just shook my head wondering what the hell you were saying."Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:31
Spanish to English
Some parts of Northern Ireland is beautiful Jul 30, 2008

and the Republic too.

But I used to teach English as a Foreign Language in Dublin and often felt that an advanced English Speaker would get more out of a course in anything they found interesting, pottery, for instance, through the medium of English than an English course per se. And I agree Dublin in the summer is not the place to learn English.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Summer course in Ireland

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »