Thread poster: Anna Villegas
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Swedish to English
+ ...
Commodities exchange anyone? Mar 13, 2009

Deleted as this is a duplicate (almost) of my previous posting.

[Edited at 2009-03-13 20:48 GMT]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some explanation, please Mar 13, 2009

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:
In my opinion, as an average:
Argentinians are very good (not just good, but excellent!) translators, but charge low rates.
European Spanish translators are not as good as they think, but charge high rates.

Hi Tadzio,
The topic is slightly drifting, but perhaps it is excusable to ask for some clarifications, as this point is quite steep. Could you substantiate this claim, please?

Attila

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:37
English to German
+ ...
Prejudices and stereotypes Mar 13, 2009

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Argentinians are very good (not just good, but excellent!) translators, but charge low rates. European Spanish translators are not as good as they think, but charge high rates.

Hmm... How do you know, Tadzio? Can you prove what you say? What is "good", and what is "low" or "high"?

Even if it is just your opinion, "European Spanish translators are not as good as they think" is against site rule #2: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
In my opinion, translators should fight prejudices and stereotypes instead of enforcing them.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 23:37
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Drifting, yess... Mar 14, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
Hi Tadzio,
The topic is slightly drifting, but perhaps it is excusable to ask for some clarifications, as this point is quite steep. Could you substantiate this claim, please?
Attila

Sorry, Attila, no more clarifications for today. The clearer I try to make it, the more allegations I get. This is all on my part.

Thank you very much for inviting me to talk.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:37
German to English
+ ...
Good, bad and ugly translators Mar 14, 2009

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:
Argentinians are very good (not just good, but excellent!) translators, but charge low rates.
European Spanish translators are not as good as they think, but charge high rates.

Not having more than a bit of street Spanish with which I can insult monkeys and mothers, I can't judge the accuracy of this statement, but it does seem a bit off-kilter. Could it be that you find Argentinian Spanish easier to understand because it is closer to your own dialect and Iberian Spanish as you know it is not? If that is the case, then perhaps an Argentinian is more appropriate to translate for the Mexican market and the Spanish translator less useful in this case. But this had nothing to do with "good" or "bad" per se. One sees these issues all the time with the Portuguese and English variants, and I even deal with it to a lesser extent with different national versions of German.

In any case, I support the idea of indicating the country listed on profiles under the names in BB feedback. I'm sure that information will be used in ways that some might not find appropriate, but the information itself is neutral, and how you evaluate it is your business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board: I would like...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »