Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only those you need to retake May 3, 2012

geraldine16 wrote:
Wow! I'm so impressed by the amount of passes here - impressed and nervous. I've been kicking myself over a couple of mistakes i made in the exam and I need to be put out of my misery. I was wondering if anyone here had ever failed 2 out of 3 and what to do in that case. Financially it makes sense to pay for all three. Would you do all three again?

Actually a lot of people try and only a few pass. Pass rate is somewhere around 20% I think. People are more inclined to report their successes than their failures, so it is only normal that there appears to be a lot of passes here.

Now, if I were you I would invest in requesting a remark. Read the procedure in the handbook. Unless they have changed this in the last two years, the first step is an administrative check to verify that the grade given does correspond to your exam. If the check is successful, the next step is requesting a remark. It might be worth doing it (it has a fee of course) if you are really sure that you did not do that bad. I did so in one of my papers the first time I took the exam, and got a pass in the paper in question, leaving only one last paper for my second try (which I passed in 2011).

If the remark confirms that you have failed the papers, I would only take those you failed. I can't remember what would happen if you fail one paper you had passed previously. This is probably explained in the handbook.

[Edited at 2012-05-03 08:36 GMT]

Daimag (X)
Daimag (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Re-mark May 3, 2012

. It might be worth doing it (it has a fee of course) if you are really sure that you did not do that bad. I did so in one of my papers the first time I took the exam, and got a pass in the paper in question, leaving only one last paper for my second try (which I passed in 2011).

[Edited at 2012-05-03 08:36 GMT]

Hello Tomas,

I am glad to hear this because I was just thinking of asking for a re-mark and your comment convinces me to do it. I have passed two papers out of three and the one I have failed seemed to be the easiest one for me. Even if I get a fail after the re-mark, I guess I will at least learn something about what I did wrong.

Just a question to the ones who didn't get the Diplom but have passed one or two papers : do you mention the letter of credit on you c.v. ? if yes, how ?

Thanks in advance and congratulations to all of you !

Daisy

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 01:01
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Ehm... May 3, 2012

I don't want to make it sound like a big deal but,,, GODDAMMNNN!!! I passed with one merit and one distinction That whole process was surely way more difficult than I anticipated. Congrats to all those who passed and I wish the best of luck next year to all those who failed (and please do not worry, it is really a difficult exam).

Mark AS
Mark AS
Local time: 23:01
Results May 3, 2012

Many congratulations to all those who got passes - these exams are HARD.

I managed to fail the general paper for the fifth time in a row, so my two passes on papers 2 and 3 from 2008 are no longer valid. Wondering if this means I should stop trying and find another calling elsewhere, or diving straight in again, or waiting a bit before returning, or...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I did May 3, 2012

Daisy Maglia wrote:
Just a question to the ones who didn't get the Diplom but have passed one or two papers : do you mention the letter of credit on you c.v. ? if yes, how ?

During the year in which I only had two papers in score, I did refer to the Letter of Credit in my CV. I think you can simply state "Chartered Institute of Linguists' Letter of Credit in the Diploma in Translation examinations year **XXXX** in **SourceLang** to **TargetLang**". If you got a particularly good mark in the papers you passed (Merit or Distinction), state so. Most informed outsourcers will know that this is already a high level of qualitification, although you should not stop trying to achieve the full diploma!

Ka Yee MECK DipTrans ACIL

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 3, 2012

Haluk Levent Aka wrote:
I don't want to make it sound like a big deal but,,, GODDAMMNNN!!! I passed with one merit and one distinction

But it IS a big deal if you ask me. Congratulations!!

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 01:01
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Thank You! May 4, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Thank you! Actually, it was sort of sarcastic, hence the GODDAMMMN

I am so happy particularly because last year I passed Unit 1 and 3, even had a distinction in Law in Unit 3, but failed Unit 2. I was so upset. I have been translating for 16 years now. And business is my specialty, but I failed in business paper... Go figure! I must admit I really felt inferior... And this pass finally ends one year of feeling bad for me

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:01
TOPIC STARTER
DipTrans exam is like a practical driving test May 4, 2012

Haluk Levent Aka wrote:

Thank you! Actually, it was sort of sarcastic, hence the GODDAMMMN

I am so happy particularly because last year I passed Unit 1 and 3, even had a distinction in Law in Unit 3, but failed Unit 2. I was so upset. I have been translating for 16 years now. And business is my specialty, but I failed in business paper... Go figure! I must admit I really felt inferior... And this pass finally ends one year of feeling bad for me

Failing one of the Units can make you feel that you are not good enough for the job, especially if you have been translating for some time. I tend to compare the DipTrans exam to a practical driving test. How many of you passed it first time? Sometimes, it is just a matter of luck. This is especially true given that during the exam you are expected to produce a good translation in an artifical, isolated environment, which seldom happens in the real life. Not being able to use your own computer, digital dictionaries, the Internet etc. or consult a colleague/expert in the field may sometimes have a great impact on the quality of your translation. So, all of you who were less lucky this year, please do not be too hard on yourselves. Your clients are your most accurate critics.

P.S. I am still waiting for my results.

Ka Yee MECK DipTrans ACIL

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Results! May 4, 2012

I've just got my results - and I passed 2 out of 3 papers. The funny thing is that I failed the one that I was quite confident about passing (the general one) and passed the two I wasn't at all sure of (Technology and Social Sciences).
I may well ask for a re-mark, as Tomás advises, and see what happens.
Congratulations to everyone who passed and especially to Haluk for his fantastic marks!

Luce Boissel
Luce Boissel
English to French
Results at last May 4, 2012

I got the results on Monday, and was really happy to discover I had passed all three papers, with one Merit and one Distinction for the General paper. I did the City preparation course too, and found it quite usefull, especially as it really shows you the kind of translation you are going to deal with on the day of the exam.

Good luck to those who have to resit the exam next year, and congratulations to those who passed !

GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spanish to English May 4, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I've just got my results - and I passed 2 out of 3 papers. The funny thing is that I failed the one that I was quite confident about passing (the general one) and passed the two I wasn't at all sure of (Technology and Social Sciences).
I may well ask for a re-mark, as Tomás advises, and see what happens.
Congratulations to everyone who passed and especially to Haluk for his fantastic marks!

Hi Emma,

We both chose the same papers! This makes me feel better. I wasn't sure about Tech or Soc Science either. Mainly because of the printing terminology and the topic of the Soc Science one, which I never really completely understood. (Something about poverty and community and the recognition of community something or other) I think I might have failed the general one because of a terrible rendering of "demachupizar" which I've thought about every day since the exam. Other than that, I think it was OK. Still awaiting results here in Mexico!

[Edited at 2012-05-04 20:46 GMT]

Daimag (X)
Daimag (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thanks May 5, 2012

During the year in which I only had two papers in score, I did refer to the Letter of Credit in my CV. I think you can simply state "Chartered Institute of Linguists' Letter of Credit in the Diploma in Translation examinations year **XXXX** in **SourceLang** to **TargetLang**". If you got a particularly good mark in the papers you passed (Merit or Distinction), state so. Most informed outsourcers will know that this is already a high level of qualitification, although you should not stop trying to achieve the full diploma!

Tomás, thank you for your answer 

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
People tend to fail their main paper May 5, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Well, just imagine how I felt when I failed the Technology paper... after 15 years of successful technical translation. Luckily I got a Merit in my second go, so all things are settled.

GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still waiting... May 14, 2012

I'm still waiting for my results and now a little tired of the treatment from CIOL. I'm going to put pressure on them to implement a more modern system of notifying their examinees of results and I invite you all to do the same. When I was at university, more than ten years ago, we were notified of all our exam results online. I cannot believe that it can be more cost effective, more efficent, and safer to send results by mail in the UK and, in particular, throughout the rest of the world.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be patient! May 14, 2012

geraldine16 wrote:
I'm still waiting for my results and now a little tired of the treatment from CIOL. I'm going to put pressure on them to implement a more modern system of notifying their examinees of results and I invite you all to do the same. When I was at university, more than ten years ago, we were notified of all our exam results online. I cannot believe that it can be more cost effective, more efficent, and safer to send results by mail in the UK and, in particular, throughout the rest of the world.

I know how this feels. Had to endure it twice, and thought the same you are thinking now. But I promise you: once the results arrive, you will forget about this proposal. It just happens. I hope the results really make it quickly to your end.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DipTrans 2012 Results

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »