Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Distinguished translator killed in Ukraine
Thread poster: Tom in London
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Bad automated mistranslation Mar 20, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

Curiously, this news division of a portal web site says that he was murdered by a local civilian, i.e. this was a simple murder and not a military killing. Of course, the site itself has no clear provenance and the report contains possible errors. I have been unable to access the mentioned Facebook page. In addition, the site calls the murderer an occupier, but also says that he is a local resident... and calling local residents (who happen to speak a certain language or happen to have certain political beliefs) "occupiers" is very revealing about the site's degree of objectivity.

[Edited at 2022-03-20 10:34 GMT]

A Ukrainian colleague, whose posts do not get past pre-moderation, has alerted me to say that the website you quote was a case of a bad machine mistranslation.

I quote my Ukrainian colleague here:

"He was murdered by a professor from the Department of Theory and History of the State and Law of the Institute of the Political Science and Law of the National Pedagogical University. deputy Dragomanov. He taught Latin and Roman law".

This is the only thing in that article that could be remotely interpreted as 'killed by a local civilian'.
Meanwhile, it's absolutely clear the article has been run through Google Translate or even a more inferior engine.

For those who want to know the truth/see for themselves, here is the original article:

https://glavcom.ua/country/incidents/u-buchi-okupanti-vbili-naukovcya-perekladacha-829798.html

"Убитий був старшим викладачем кафедри теорії та історії держави і права Інституту політології та права Національного педагогічного Університету ім. М. П. Драгоманова. Проводив заняття з латини і римського права."

End of quote.

Indeed, if you run the above piece through GT into English, you get:

"He was killed by a senior lecturer at the Department of Theory and History of State and Law of the Institute of Political Science and Law of the National Pedagogical University named after MP Drahomanov. He taught Latin and Roman law."

But if you run it into Russian and then into English, you get a more sensible translation:

"The victim was a senior lecturer in the Department of Theory and History of State and Law at the Institute of Political Science and Law of the M.P. Drahomanov National Pedagogical University. He taught classes in Latin and Roman law."

I guess Ukr>En GT is not trained as well as Ukr>Ru or Ru>En.

Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP.

Perhaps, it is best to seek information from quality sources and avoid any obscure websites.

[Edited at 2022-03-20 17:31 GMT]

Tretyak
P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino
AnnaSCHTR
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
writeaway
Gennady Lapardin

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Tribute to a deceased colleague Mar 20, 2022

While I dislike any political threats here, this post was intended for remembering one of us.

Tom did the right thing by posting this. We should not keep silent when people are being killed in a horrible and senseless war. If anyone finds it "offensive" they should ask themselves why.

Tretyak
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zamira B.
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Claire Bourneton-Gerlach

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Zamira Mar 20, 2022

Zamira B. wrote:
Perhaps, it is best to seek information from quality sources and avoid any obscure websites.

You got me... busted. I knew about the article in glavcom.ua because I can read Ukrainain, but I deliberately chose to quote from an English-language inferior, obscure web site and hoped that no-one would notice.

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:00
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Condolences Mar 20, 2022

May he rest in peace!

I could not find any information in English regarding his works. Here's a Wikipedia page in Ukrainian:

https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кислюк_Олександр_Іванович

Obviously, he was a very prolific scientist. One of his works is a comprehensive dictionary of Old Church Slavonic. I collect dictionaries of languages I am not even
... See more
May he rest in peace!

I could not find any information in English regarding his works. Here's a Wikipedia page in Ukrainian:

https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кислюк_Олександр_Іванович

Obviously, he was a very prolific scientist. One of his works is a comprehensive dictionary of Old Church Slavonic. I collect dictionaries of languages I am not even interested in learning. I have great respect for lexicographers, especially those of extinct languages. He was only 60 years old, and according to Wikipedia, he died on March 5 - more than 2 weeks ago, yet we hear of his death only today. Sad.

[Edited at 2022-03-20 22:25 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zamira B.
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Distinguished translator killed in Ukraine

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »