Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
simultaneous interpreting
Thread poster: galypuk
galypuk
galypuk
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:38
Mar 9, 2011

I used to do consecutive interpreting. I've got a very important assignment for SIMULTANEOUS interpreting now, in 3 weeks to be precise. I now you need a special training, I can read about it on the net too. But I URGENTLY NEED HELP. The language is Russian if it's relevant. Can anybody direct me to some sources were I can find exercises etc, or give me invaluable tips. I would be prepared to pay £20 for a practical session from the experienced Russian speaker too. Thank you.

Ludwik Amatore
Ludwik Amatore  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:38
English to Italian
+ ...
Playing the piano Mar 9, 2011

I used to play the flute. I've got a very important assignment for playing the piano now, in 3 weeks to be precise. I now you need a special training, I can read about it on the net too. But I URGENTLY NEED HELP. It is a vertical piano if it's relevant. Can anybody direct me to some sources were I can find exercises etc, or give me invaluable tips. I would be prepared to pay £20 for a practical session from the experienced piano player too. Thank you.

ShaniinParis
ShaniinParis
France
Japanese to French
+ ...
Is it a joke? Mar 9, 2011

You accepted an assignment you obviously are not qualified for. And now you panic and want to learn simultaneous in 3 weeks? You can't be serious. Good luck. Seriously, good luck.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Pass it on Mar 9, 2011

Sorry, as a professional what you must do is pass on this job. If you are not prepared to perform it, as you admit, then you will end up looking very bad, and our entire profession will look bad. Pass this job on now to another professional who is fully competent in simultaneous interpretion.

We must defend our profession and our own personal reputations, and the way to do that is to refuse any job that we cannot perform to the highest standard... period.

And Ludwik's a
... See more
Sorry, as a professional what you must do is pass on this job. If you are not prepared to perform it, as you admit, then you will end up looking very bad, and our entire profession will look bad. Pass this job on now to another professional who is fully competent in simultaneous interpretion.

We must defend our profession and our own personal reputations, and the way to do that is to refuse any job that we cannot perform to the highest standard... period.

And Ludwik's answer is eloquent.
Collapse

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why are doing this? Mar 9, 2011

You are obviosly not qualified to do this job. So why to do it? Do you really think you can learn it in three weeks?
It would be also interesting to know, what you get for it (it sounds like dumping) and what is the qualification of the 2nd person.

Chiara Cherubini
Chiara Cherubini  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
Learning simultaneous requires much more time Mar 9, 2011

I agree with all previous posters.. 3 weeks are definitely too short to learn simultaneous interpreting if you don´t have any previous specific experience/education!

We should all stick to the basic rule: never accept a job if you can´t guarantee top quality! It can just have negative consequences for all the people involved (you, your customer and the whole category of professional interpreters/translators).

Chiara

Romina Pérez Escorihuela
Romina Pérez Escorihuela  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:38
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't want to miss your client? Mar 9, 2011

I totally agree with my colleagues here... furthermore, from my experience as an Interpreter and as an Interpretation Professor at Univeristy, I can assure you there is a great difference between both techniques.... However, if you are highly experienced in Consecutive Interpretation, you have a great asset to start your simultaneous training: MEMORY.

If you do want to keep this customer, you should inform them that you have another assignement and that you will pass this job on to
... See more
I totally agree with my colleagues here... furthermore, from my experience as an Interpreter and as an Interpretation Professor at Univeristy, I can assure you there is a great difference between both techniques.... However, if you are highly experienced in Consecutive Interpretation, you have a great asset to start your simultaneous training: MEMORY.

If you do want to keep this customer, you should inform them that you have another assignement and that you will pass this job on to a great colleague of yours that will be able to handle the job perfectly well...

When we are not that experienced, we tend to make these mistakes: we want to accept EVERY job in order to gain clients and experience.... but professionalism implies knowing our own limits and being willing to decline what is out of our reach... I had to decline very interesting opportunities at the beginning of my carrer, simply because I was not prepared to take them.... and, this way, I WON a customer, because I was honest with them, with the audience and with myself.

Romina
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Not rocket science Mar 9, 2011

I could help you with this if it was in Polish
I do training sessions for simultaneous interpreting and it is really not that difficult to get going in this field, especially if you are an experienced consecutive interepreter. Your offering for £20 per hour for training though is less than half the going rate for trainers....

As for all the comments discouraging you from undertaking it, well, you can give up
... See more
I could help you with this if it was in Polish
I do training sessions for simultaneous interpreting and it is really not that difficult to get going in this field, especially if you are an experienced consecutive interepreter. Your offering for £20 per hour for training though is less than half the going rate for trainers....

As for all the comments discouraging you from undertaking it, well, you can give up and miss an opportunity or you can train yourself and suceed.

The comparison with musical instruments is completely out of proportion here.

Good luck! In a good way.
Collapse

Dominika Fonyiová

Dave Bindon
Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:38
Greek to English
In memoriam
Don't damage your reputation Mar 9, 2011

I agree with the previous comments: if you are not qualified to do it, have no experience and don't even feel confident, then tell your client that you can't do it.

Chiara Cherubini
Chiara Cherubini  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
No discouraging comments Mar 9, 2011

Ania Heasley wrote:

As for all the comments discouraging you from undertaking it, well, you can give up and miss an opportunity or you can train yourself and suceed.

Well, at least my comment wasn't meant to be discouraging, but realistic. Becoming a professional simultaneos interpreter in 3 weeks? No way! But of course this could be a good occasion for the poster to start training and later working in a new field.

However: first training and then working and not the other way round.

Chiara

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Interpreting Mar 9, 2011

I wouldn't quite compare this to playing the flute and piano. But harpsichord and grand church organ maybe...

1. Turn on the news on TV.
2. Start interpreting simultaneously whatever the reporters are saying. Record your output.
3. Listen back to the recording, look in the mirror and decide if this is what you want everyone to hear during your assignment.
Remember, that during the real job it's going to be a lot worse because of stage-fright etc.

I don
... See more
I wouldn't quite compare this to playing the flute and piano. But harpsichord and grand church organ maybe...

1. Turn on the news on TV.
2. Start interpreting simultaneously whatever the reporters are saying. Record your output.
3. Listen back to the recording, look in the mirror and decide if this is what you want everyone to hear during your assignment.
Remember, that during the real job it's going to be a lot worse because of stage-fright etc.

I don't actually remember my first simultaneous interpreting job. Now, when I do it, it's only chuchotage and I actually prefer it to consecutive because of the "on-the-fly" aspect, so it's not that one is more difficult than the other.

[Edited at 2011-03-09 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Warm up Mar 10, 2011

As a warm up exercise try 'shadowing' in the same language, e.g. listen to an interview on tv or radio and repeat what is said alongside the speakers.

Also, I would not advise to start with trying to interpret a news programme, as they contain a too much dense information for initial simultaneous practice. I would choose a panel discussion, or an interview, on the subject in which your assingment is going to be.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
My 2 cents Mar 10, 2011

galypuk wrote:

I used to do consecutive interpreting. I've got a very important assignment for SIMULTANEOUS interpreting now, in 3 weeks to be precise. I now you need a special training, I can read about it on the net too. But I URGENTLY NEED HELP. The language is Russian if it's relevant. Can anybody direct me to some sources were I can find exercises etc, or give me invaluable tips. I would be prepared to pay £20 for a practical session from the experienced Russian speaker too. Thank you.

Apply at a (renowned) interpreter school.
See to it that you pass their admission tests
Do your two or three years training
See to it that you pass their exams
Go on the market after you graduated.
Before is a ticket to going flat on your face.

Good luck.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That's bold Mar 10, 2011

My suggestion would be: cancel the job right now.
Some people can do a passable job of "ad lib" simultaneous interpreting without prior training or experience, but they are very few and far between. You'll only find out whether you are one of them when you have a crack at it, and you shouldn't take that risk. Some people can't handle the pressure of jumping in the deep end like that and start stammering, can't finish their sentences, run out of the booth, break down crying...
If you'
... See more
My suggestion would be: cancel the job right now.
Some people can do a passable job of "ad lib" simultaneous interpreting without prior training or experience, but they are very few and far between. You'll only find out whether you are one of them when you have a crack at it, and you shouldn't take that risk. Some people can't handle the pressure of jumping in the deep end like that and start stammering, can't finish their sentences, run out of the booth, break down crying...
If you're interested in simul, do at least a couple of months of training/practice and take on your first job after that if your teacher reckons you're up for it. Of course doing a proper 1- or 2-year course would be even better.

[Edited at 2011-03-10 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Interpreting news Mar 10, 2011

Ania Heasley wrote:
I would not advise to start with trying to interpret a news programme

That's precisely the reason I wrote this - to provide a taste of what will be going on during the gig. In a room full of people nobody waits around for the interpreter to finish.
People talk two and three at the same time.
People think out loud, starting a sentence with one idea in mind and finishing with another, forcing the interpreter to pedal backwards and re-do the whole statement from scratch, by which time two more people have spoken or interrupted the original speaker.

It ain't easy and you are not always in a position to stand up and say "Whoa, let me catch up here!"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

simultaneous interpreting

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »