Off topic: Bilingual Jokes
Thread poster: Alison Sparks (X)
Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ladies bath room Feb 27, 2012

For this joke, you need to know three Swedish words: rum=room. bad=bath, dam=ladies, and that not so long ago sailors in the British Navy were served a tot of rum every day .

A British admlral was visiting a Swedish ship, and was delighted to see a door marked "rum".

"So you have the same splendid custom of serving a tot of rum, just like the British Navy," he told his Swedish hosts. They looked puzzled. But then they passed another door marked "Badrum". Pretty poor sh
... See more
For this joke, you need to know three Swedish words: rum=room. bad=bath, dam=ladies, and that not so long ago sailors in the British Navy were served a tot of rum every day .

A British admlral was visiting a Swedish ship, and was delighted to see a door marked "rum".

"So you have the same splendid custom of serving a tot of rum, just like the British Navy," he told his Swedish hosts. They looked puzzled. But then they passed another door marked "Badrum". Pretty poor show, he thought to himself. Finally his Swedish hosts proudly showed him yet another door "Dambadrum".
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The German VW Beetle Feb 27, 2012

When the first German-made (old) VW Beetles arrived to the USA, some owners were puzzled at the four labeled positions for the ignition key: HALT - GARAGE - FAHRT - START. As all these words seem to exist in English, with some allowance for a typo, they didn't know exactly what to expect from the FAHRT position.

Picture available here.
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:16
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
aircooled boxer engine Feb 27, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

When the first German-made (old) VW Beetles arrived to the USA, some owners were puzzled at the four labeled positions for the ignition key: HALT - GARAGE - FAHRT - START. As all these words seem to exist in English, with some allowance for a typo, they didn't know exactly what to expect from the FAHRT position.

Picture available here.

Maybe they thought it was an onomatopoeic designation, due to the typical sound these cars produced, so:
before risking your life, you might like to check for a bus stop! - before risking your life, you might like to have it get an overhaul at the service station! - when no warning helps ... prrrrrrrt, there we go with the flow - but then, why "start" at the end?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
VW start Feb 27, 2012

Henk Peelen wrote:
... why "start" at the end?

That's for the starter motor. American cars had LOCK - OFF - ON - START written at that time. See here.

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
in-car-nation Feb 27, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Henk Peelen wrote:
... why "start" at the end?

That's for the starter motor. American cars had LOCK - OFF - ON - START written at that time. See here.

I thought it was part of the Lebensborn-programm, so making "better" people. They wanted everyone driving in a car, so making an in-car-nation. After a fatal accident, you'll come back as a wiser person, never driving a grumble machine again, but instead driving a BMW or so.

[Bijgewerkt op 2012-02-27 16:51 GMT]

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
English-German Feb 27, 2012

Two German spies are coming to the English pub during WWII. Before entering the pub, one of them says to another: "Remember, we are not Germans, so no schnapps this time, let's order the martini". "OK", - agrees another. So, they are coming to the pub and one of them says to a barman:
- Martini, please.
- Dry martini? - asks the barman.
- Warum drei? Zwei!

Gloria Scaroni
Gloria Scaroni  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who's lui? Feb 27, 2012

This is a true story.

A few years ago I was talking to my relatives in Italy, in Italian of course. My husband is Brazilian and understands little Italian.

I was speaking to my uncle and asked about my fater. It went a bit like this:

Me on the phone - Dove é lui? (Where is he?)
My husband - Who's "Louie"?
Me - What are you talking about?
Me - it's him!
My husband: Him who???
Me - Lui means
... See more
This is a true story.

A few years ago I was talking to my relatives in Italy, in Italian of course. My husband is Brazilian and understands little Italian.

I was speaking to my uncle and asked about my fater. It went a bit like this:

Me - it's him!
Me - Lui means him in Italian!!!!

Hope you find it's funny, we're still laughing about it. It's been five years or so
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is! Apr 15, 2012

Gloria Scaroni wrote:
Me - it's him!
Me - Lui means him in Italian!!!!

It is funny! Thanks for sharing it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
English-Spanish Apr 15, 2012

Animals meet:

A asks: How are you?
B responds: No, I'm zorri.

For clarification: Pronounced with a heavy Spanish accent, "How are you?" sounds like "Jaguar you?", i.e. something like "Are you a jaguar too?". The other animal declares to be a "zorri", a "little fox" (a "zorro").

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Socks Apr 15, 2012

A Spaniard who speaks no English goes into a smart London draper's shop. The assistant says "Can I help you, sir? What can I show you?"
The Spaniard shrugs and starts pointing at the various drawers.
The assistant brings down a drawer of shirts. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of ties. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of socks.
The Spaniard exclaims "¡Eso, sí que es!"
The assistant says "Well, if you can s
... See more
A Spaniard who speaks no English goes into a smart London draper's shop. The assistant says "Can I help you, sir? What can I show you?"
The Spaniard shrugs and starts pointing at the various drawers.
The assistant brings down a drawer of shirts. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of ties. The Spaniard shakes his head. The assistant brings down a drawer of socks.
The Spaniard exclaims "¡Eso, sí que es!"
The assistant says "Well, if you can spell it, why couldn't you just say it?"
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A little similar to Peter Linton's navy story... Apr 15, 2012

The Danish for good is god - obviously from the same root as the English word. (The Almighty is Gud in Danish.)

Food is 'mad'.

So of course, a classic cookery book is called ''God mad, let at lave'
(Good food, easy to prepare).

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I love it Apr 15, 2012

Keep the jokes coming please.

My Swedish cousins are really enjoying the Swedish/Danish ones Especially since many years ago they tried to teach me that 'very good' was 'gummi snood' (probably spelt wrong) but which I later learnt meant 'rubber band'.

They had a whole series of this type of silly rhyming phrase designed to confuse, and it's the one language I never managed more than 'thank you' since e
... See more
Keep the jokes coming please.

My Swedish cousins are really enjoying the Swedish/Danish ones Especially since many years ago they tried to teach me that 'very good' was 'gummi snood' (probably spelt wrong) but which I later learnt meant 'rubber band'.

They had a whole series of this type of silly rhyming phrase designed to confuse, and it's the one language I never managed more than 'thank you' since everyone insisted on speaking English! Taxi!! No I'm not hailing a cab, I just can't spell in Swedish!

Have fun all.
Collapse

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
I got one, too Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for sharing all those funny jokes. I really enjoyed them.

Here comes one from me:

In a Geman hotel a guy with Polish background is enjoying his meal. At another table a nice lady from France is looking in his direction, smiling politely at him and says "Bon appétit!" He nodded to her and said "Kowalski."

Next day - same situation. Both are eating at different tables, she says "Bon appétit" and he answers "Kowalski".

The bartender is em
... See more
Thanks for sharing all those funny jokes. I really enjoyed them.

Here comes one from me:

In a Geman hotel a guy with Polish background is enjoying his meal. At another table a nice lady from France is looking in his direction, smiling politely at him and says "Bon appétit!" He nodded to her and said "Kowalski."

Next day - same situation. Both are eating at different tables, she says "Bon appétit" and he answers "Kowalski".

The bartender is embarrased somehow and in a quiet minute (when the lady was gone), he explains to the guy: the lady just wanted to say "Enjoy your meal". She is French.
Mr. Kowalski blushed and thanked the bartender.

Next day - same situation. Now Mr. Kowalski wants to try his lessons learned. He smiles nicely at the lady and says "Bon apetit!" and she smiles back and says "Kowalski!"
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Arabic/English Apr 17, 2012

This one's a favorite with my kids:

Person A (speaking in Arabic): How do you say "taqiya" in English?
Person B: "Hat."

A: How do you say "lehem" in English?
B: "Meat."

A: How do you say "cartona" in English?
B. "Box."

Person A then proceeds to hit Person B repeatedly.

("Hat meat box" means "Punch me a hundred times" in Arabic).

Mohamad Alayoubi

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
real story... Apr 17, 2012

On Italians not being able to hear the "h"...

Many years ago I was working in a shop, in London, with a guy called Hugh and the manager.

One day, I see that some merchandising had been moved and I have the following conversation with my manager:

Me: Who moved that?

Manager: Hugh.

Me: No, I didn't!

Manager: No, Hugh did that!

Me: I definitely didn't move that stuff.

Manager writes down on a p
... See more
On Italians not being able to hear the "h"...

Many years ago I was working in a shop, in London, with a guy called Hugh and the manager.

One day, I see that some merchandising had been moved and I have the following conversation with my manager:

Me: Who moved that?

Manager: Hugh.

Me: No, I didn't!

Manager: No, Hugh did that!

Me: I definitely didn't move that stuff.

Manager writes down on a piece of paper in capital letters: HUGH

[Edited at 2012-04-17 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Bilingual Jokes

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »