المملكة العربية السعودية
Local time: 23:21
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hi,‎

‎- Is it possible that some contestants ask their folks to vote for them?‎
‎- Will contestant feel the triumph taste if so?‎
‎- Do members help such immoral attitude by not sharing in election process so we get ‎‎ the same presidents for the 10th presidential period?‎

Thanks God that voting here is an electronic one.

I hereby encourage all members to have a thorough look an
... See more
Hi,‎

‎- Is it possible that some contestants ask their folks to vote for them?‎
‎- Will contestant feel the triumph taste if so?‎
‎- Do members help such immoral attitude by not sharing in election process so we get ‎‎ the same presidents for the 10th presidential period?‎

I hereby encourage all members to have a thorough look and share in voting below:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=contests&sp_mode=current&sp_sub_mode=view_language&contest_id=8&ctlid=218

Thank you
Ahmad Wadan

[Edited at 2007-09-19 18:56]
Collapse

Lamis Maalouf
Lamis Maalouf  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 15:21
عضو (2006)
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Integrity! Sep 19, 2007

Thank You Ahmad for stepping on some toes. What is the difference in any round of voting if there is an integrity issue? Just as someone asked friends to vote for him/her in first round, they can carry that person through to the end, right?

[Edited at 2007-09-19 19:29]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 21:21
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
What a relief! Sep 19, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

Are you saying I can vote electronically without being beaten up by bullies when I leave the house?

But seriously, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to stop such behaviour from happening, or to prove that it is happening - if indeed it is happening.

But certainly if a large number of site members can cast their votes this is bound to offset the negative effects of the fishy votes.

[Edited at 2007-09-19 20:24]

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
المملكة العربية السعودية
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thats what we have Sep 19, 2007

But certainly if a large number of site members can cast their votes this is bound to offset the negative effects of the fishy votes

Exactly Nesrin, this is the only option we have in hand now.

AhmedAMS
AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
الاتحاد الروسي
Local time: 00:21
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Question mark Sep 19, 2007

Ahmad Wadan wrote:

The American presidents cannot stay at the office for more than two terms. Proz presidents are supposed to stay at the office for one term only.
Is there a way to avoid voting for the same president again?

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
المملكة العربية السعودية
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
No politics allowed here :) Sep 19, 2007

The American presidents cannot stay at the office for more than two terms. Proz presidents are supposed to stay at the office for one term only.
Is there a way to avoid voting for the same president again?

Haha

Dear Ahmad, you are speaking politics now, which is not allowed here

Mona Ragaei
Mona Ragaei
الكويت
عربي
+ ...
at proz??? Sep 20, 2007

I am really surprised to find out that such attitude may have happened at proz.

The purpose of this contest is to show off translators talents and have fun.

The one who wins this contest is not necessarily the best translator on earth yet it happened that his works have been admired by his fellow members. So cheer up and let us have fun.

For those who might committed such immoral acts. Any such acts is being traced and known to everyone. So no need
... See more
I am really surprised to find out that such attitude may have happened at proz.

The purpose of this contest is to show off translators talents and have fun.

The one who wins this contest is not necessarily the best translator on earth yet it happened that his works have been admired by his fellow members. So cheer up and let us have fun.

For those who might committed such immoral acts. Any such acts is being traced and known to everyone. So no need

thanks
Collapse

Ali Alawadi
Ali Alawadi  Identity Verified
تركيا
عضو (2006)
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
Cast a vote and drop a note! Sep 20, 2007

Sure thing !
A sort of canvassing and other sordid tactics to disrecdit some contestants are going on. What is it that made a few translation community hanger-ons shoot to the qualification stage overnight:???: ; and they wouldnt scruple to be unduly ahead of the pack.

I think voting and quality gauge are the way out!
Any professionally unqualified translation should be voted down. Moreover, quali
... See more
Sure thing !
A sort of canvassing and other sordid tactics to disrecdit some contestants are going on. What is it that made a few translation community hanger-ons shoot to the qualification stage overnight:???: ; and they wouldnt scruple to be unduly ahead of the pack.

I think voting and quality gauge are the way out!
Any professionally unqualified translation should be voted down. Moreover, quality gauge should be brough into play. Alongside their votes, every voter is kindly requested to provide an evaluative note of the translation voted for and/or against.

In so doing, the contest would come to fruition and go beyond the mere barren and hollow word "winner"; a stupid word which makes the "losers' " efforts simply come to naught:roll: . Thus, it would be clearer to the "winner" and others if the winning were well-deserved.

Only then, we can separate the wheat from the chaff.
By the way, I didnt participate in this contest.
Ramadan Kareem

Ali Al-awadi

[Edited at 2007-09-20 18:40]
Collapse

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
مصر
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي إلى عربي
+ ...
agree Sep 21, 2007

But certainly if a large number of site members can cast their votes this is bound to offset the negative effects of the fishy votes

I don't know y Arabic subcommunity activities in proz are relatively poor
In so doing, the contest would come to fruition and go beyond the mere barren and hollow word "winner"; a stupid word which makes the "losers' " efforts simply come to naught . Thus, it would be clearer to the "winner" and others if the winning were well-deserved.

I think that's the contest all about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Abdallah Ali[Call to this topic]
Murad AWAD[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contest voting & morals

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »