Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Franciaország
Local time: 17:47
ProZ.com-tag
angol - magyar
+ ...
Jan 24, 2008

I need to access an ftp account set up by a client at DynDNS (a subdomain of dyndns.biz). I tried it with IE7 as well as FileZilla but failed. I can connect to the site, so the username and the password are both correct but there is no data connection then. Here is the log I get in FileZilla:

Commande : USER apiroth
Réponse : 331 Password required for apiroth
Commande : PASS ************
Réponse : 230 Logged on
Statut : Co
... See more
I need to access an ftp account set up by a client at DynDNS (a subdomain of dyndns.biz). I tried it with IE7 as well as FileZilla but failed. I can connect to the site, so the username and the password are both correct but there is no data connection then. Here is the log I get in FileZilla:

Commande : USER apiroth
Réponse : 331 Password required for apiroth
Commande : PASS ************
Réponse : 230 Logged on
Statut : Connecté (Connected)
Statut : Récupération du contenu du répertoire... (Retrieving the contents of the directory...)
Commande : PWD
Réponse : 257 "/" is current directory.
Commande : TYPE I
Réponse : 200 Type set to I
Commande : PASV
Réponse : 227 Entering Passive Mode (81,50,61,192,200,186)
Commande : LIST
Réponse : 425 Can't open data connection.
Erreur : Échec à la lecture du contenu du répertoire (Failed to read the contents of the directory)

Any ideas what to do? I have used FileZilla for some time, and has never had such problems. Maybe I have to change a configuration - or the client?
The client can access the FTP site from several computers located at the same IP address, going through internet. I need to confirm this, but I am fairly sure the data are on his hard drive (same IP address), and not on a server located elsewhere.

Attila
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
német
+ ...
PASV Jan 24, 2008

Have you tried disabling passive mode?

Attila Piróth
Franciaország
ProZ.com-tag
angol - magyar
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Solved in IE7 Jan 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Have you tried disabling passive mode?

Thank you, this solution worked for IE7:
I went to Tools/Internet Options, and under Browsing options I had to uncheck "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)".
So the problem is solved - nonetheless if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.
Best regards,
Attila

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
német
+ ...
Easy-peasy Jan 24, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.

Just use the "Advanced..." button in FileZilla's "Site Manager" or disable it globally via Edit|Settings|Firewall Settings.

HTH,
Benjamin

Attila Piróth
Franciaország
ProZ.com-tag
angol - magyar
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Solved for FileZilla Jan 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Attila Piróth wrote:

if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.

Just use the "Advanced..." button in FileZilla's "Site Manager" or disable it globally via Edit|Settings|Firewall Settings.

HTH,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,
By ticking the option "Send FTP Keep-alive commands" in the Edit/Settings tab did the trick
Thanks a lot.
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FTP problem

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »