Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How about a "rate my translation" forum?
Thread poster: philgoddard
Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:12
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Good idea! Feb 24, 2011

I'd certainly participate whenever I have some time. In my opinion, the poster of the request and of the translation should remain anonymous, so as to avoid influencing (wether consciously or unconsciously) the answerers.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
Great idea! Feb 24, 2011

I hope that it will work out, because I know that I would participate!

It's quite often that, in our solitary business, translators can go for years making the same mistakes. At some point everyone has failed a test with an agency - or gone without a reply, which comes down to the same thing - and no one takes the time to explain why. Even top-notch translators have something to learn from their peers.

If you've no time to play, that's up to you. But I find that it wou
... See more
I hope that it will work out, because I know that I would participate!

It's quite often that, in our solitary business, translators can go for years making the same mistakes. At some point everyone has failed a test with an agency - or gone without a reply, which comes down to the same thing - and no one takes the time to explain why. Even top-notch translators have something to learn from their peers.

If you've no time to play, that's up to you. But I find that it would be a constructive, enriching, enjoyable activity.

I think this is an idea whose time has come!
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:12
SITE STAFF
A good time to give this a try Feb 24, 2011

Hello all,

Nice discussion. This idea is actually one which has been proposed previously by different members, and some ways of implementing this have already been considered internally by site staff. Now looks like it may be a good time to give it a try.

This is a feature which has several elements in common with both translation contests and the Certified PRO Network. As such it has been designed as a member-only feature.

While the forum format may not b
... See more
Hello all,

Nice discussion. This idea is actually one which has been proposed previously by different members, and some ways of implementing this have already been considered internally by site staff. Now looks like it may be a good time to give it a try.

This is a feature which has several elements in common with both translation contests and the Certified PRO Network. As such it has been designed as a member-only feature.

While the forum format may not be the most ideal for this area, I think it will be best to start using a forum, and take things from there. An outline of how this might work initially is:

The scope of this area is to discuss short translation texts, as a means of improving, getting opinions from colleagues, and having fun. It is not intended as a replacement for the KudoZ term help system, nor as a replacement for posting paid proofreading/editing work.

All ProZ.com members are welcome to submit texts to be posted and discussed, and to provide their feedback and opinions on posted material. All posts should adhere to ProZ.com site rules, providing constructive feedback on translations submitted. Commentary on the translator submitting a translation, their reason for submitting a text, experience, etc. will not be permitted. In the interest of helping to maintain the scope and purpose of this area, for the time being all posts here will require vetting before becoming visible. Every effort will be made to vet feedback posts in a timely manner.

Submission of texts to be posted and discussed here should follow these guidelines:

1. Texts (both source and target) to discuss should be no longer than approximately 500 words.

2. Texts to discuss should be submitted to site staff via the online support system.

3. Submissions should include:

• Source text and translation

• Indication of a general field of expertise for the text:

* Art/Literary
    * Business/Financial
    * Law
    * Marketing
    * Medical
    * Science
    * Social Sciences
    * Tech/Engineering
    * Other

• Indication of intended purpose and audience for the translated text, language variant, and any other relevant details which will help other translators better evaluate the text and provide feedback

• Indication of whether you wish to have the text and translation posted anonymously, or with your name and profile shown publicly

4. Submissions should NOT include:

• Sensitive information or material which may violate confidentiality or copyright

Note that forums, as most of the site, are public and indexed by search engines. By submitting a translated text here you are accepting this condition and agree to having feedback comments which are within site rules attached to the submission.

For the sake of transparency, and in order to prevent the possible misuse of this feature for free editing work, a delay will be added between submission time and the moment the translation is published in this area.

I will post back here when the forum has been set up. In the meantime, those who wish to submit texts may do so. Thanks!

Jared
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One teacher versus one hundred teachers Feb 24, 2011

Tatty wrote:
I think that if you want to discuss translations to death then you should go to translating classes where a fully qualified teacher could give you proper guidance.

Classes like that are perfect for beginner translators who want a mentor or a master from whom to learn the art of translation. For those of us who have been translators for a while, having one hundred teachers instead, from whom we can pick and choose what we want to learn, is a much better prospect.

The idea that only qualified teachers (or highly experienced translators) can teach other translators is nothing new. I remember making a very similar suggestion to our local translators' association (about translators giving critiques about each other's translations) but the official response was that this would lead to translators learning the wrong things from the wrong people, and that it is better to put all your faith (and money) in the hands of a select few.

[Edited at 2011-02-24 17:14 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Forum and guidelines for submission up Feb 24, 2011

Hello again,

The forum for this site area is now up, with the guidelines for submission of translations and providing feedback posted at http://www.proz.com/topic/192944

Jared

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared! Feb 24, 2011

When I made this suggestion, I never expected it to be implemented within 24 hours!
Are you going to publicize it somewhere on the front page?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Hi Phil Feb 24, 2011

This one was fairly easy, since it had already been in the pipeline. There is a note up on the homepage already as well.

Best regards,

Jared

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
500 words? Feb 25, 2011

Isn't it a bit too much, 500 words for source and target each? A typical sample translation is 200-250 words long...
Wouldn't the length simply turn off potential helpers?
Or even readers?
I am not sure in what format the critiques will take, but if the original text is that long, the critiques may be very long, too, people will not have the time/energy to read through all that.
No?

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Longer can be OK Feb 25, 2011

I look forward to being part of this forum as a peer-to-peer teacher/learner. I am convinced that 250 word translations are accessible and would receive more responses.
However, there might be a situation in which more words are needed for the requestor to lay out the problem being dealt with. An example would be someone seeking input on the best use of adverbs for a translation that develops over time. Another would be someone seeking consistency of tone over a range of expression. <
... See more
I look forward to being part of this forum as a peer-to-peer teacher/learner. I am convinced that 250 word translations are accessible and would receive more responses.
However, there might be a situation in which more words are needed for the requestor to lay out the problem being dealt with. An example would be someone seeking input on the best use of adverbs for a translation that develops over time. Another would be someone seeking consistency of tone over a range of expression.
I am not suggesting that someone who wants every tense error or misspelling corrected should submit 500 words. I am suggesting that the forum not be closed to longer submissions, as the asker might have a real need to submit something longer.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
I agree 500 words could be too long Feb 25, 2011

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Isn't it a bit too much, 500 words for source and target each? A typical sample translation is 200-250 words long...
Wouldn't the length simply turn off potential helpers?
Or even readers?

I quite agree with Katalin. Many of us already feel quite guilty spending so much time procrastinating on Proz. Something that is more bite-sized (say up to 250 words) would be very tempting to analyse, but I think a 500-word text would stop me contributing.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
What about languages? Feb 25, 2011

Jared, you mentioned expertise fields, but will there be a system to separate out the various language pairs?

Great initiative anyway! Will stay tuned!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
500 is not the minimum but the maximum Feb 25, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Many of us already feel quite guilty spending so much time procrastinating on Proz. Something that is more bite-sized (say up to 250 words) would be very tempting to analyse, but I think a 500-word text would stop me contributing.

500 words is not the ideal size but the maximum size. Shorter texts will be more likely to attract attention than longer texts. If translators choose to submit 500-word texts, they assume the risk that no-one will respond.

If you do respond to a 500-word text and you really don't have time for it, then you yourself should take measures to curtail your online activities. Imposing restrictions on others isn't fair.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two more comments Feb 25, 2011

verslanglais wrote:
Jared, you mentioned expertise fields, but will there be a system to separate out the various language pairs?

I think separating the language pairs could be useful when the system starts getting very popular, but in the mean time a simple system of standardised post titles can be used, e.g. "EN-US > ES-ES, Electrical Engineering, 340 words".

What would be nice is if ProZ.com members who have that language combination can be notified that there is a text waiting. To begin with, perhaps the mails can be sent to anyone who had requested KudoZ notifications, with an opt-out option.

The system isn't going to work unless people actually know about it and are given the opportunity to respond.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
German to English
Two requests Feb 25, 2011

1) Could you put a link to this part of the site in one of the menus at the top of the page, maybe the "Member activities" menu?

2) My personal view is that if people are going to post parts of texts they are actually working on, they should inform/get permission from the client concerned first. I don't know what others think about this.

Thanks,
Niraja

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Good point, Samuel Feb 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

you yourself should take measures to curtail your online activities. Imposing restrictions on others isn't fair.

You're quite right. I spend too much time procrastinating, and it is my responsibilty to do something about it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a "rate my translation" forum?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »