Local time: 07:24
Williams Elliot [email protected] SCAM Mar 3, 2013

Hello everyone,

Be aware of an advance payment scam by Williams Elliot

Title of the document: Conflict Management
Words: 12,499

Accepted price of $.30 per word. $3,750

Last email:
Thanks for your mail, I quite appreciate your time to be in charge of the translation, as for me, the price is OK.

I have proposed to make the for the translation of the document via a bank cheque and would like you to get back to me with the
... See more
Hello everyone,

Be aware of an advance payment scam by Williams Elliot

Title of the document: Conflict Management
Words: 12,499

Accepted price of $.30 per word. $3,750

Last email:
Thanks for your mail, I quite appreciate your time to be in charge of the translation, as for me, the price is OK.

I have proposed to make the for the translation of the document via a bank cheque and would like you to get back to me with the following details of your in order for me to proceed with the payment..

Your Full name to be written on the cheque
Your Full address where the check will be sent to
Your Phone Number..

I will be pleased to have the following information from as soon as possible.

I await your mail.

Thanks.
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
possibly related Jun 11, 2013

I received a translation request from someone (name mentioned earlier in this thread) which might be a scam, although there is no indication of an advanced payment scam as of yet:

You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: javier chavez [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 96.44.190.171
-----------

Am in need of your translation service; English to D
... See more
I received a translation request from someone (name mentioned earlier in this thread) which might be a scam, although there is no indication of an advanced payment scam as of yet:

Author: javier chavez [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
-----------

Am in need of your translation service; English to Dutch.Get
back to me as soon as possible

-----------

Really??

If someone doesn't have some basic sense of how to do business with other people, would you call that a scam or be open to the job request?

Lianne
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Contact information Jun 12, 2013

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

-----------

Am in need of your translation service; English to Dutch.Get
back to me as soon as possible

-----------
Really??

If someone doesn't have some basic sense of how to do business with other people, would you call that a scam or be open to the job request?

Lianne

Hi Lianne,

If I receive a request like this I delete it without thinking twice, scam or not, this does not deserve a reply.

If you are interested in exploring an offer like this, you should ask for verifiable contact information (full address, land phone line, web page, etc and verify what is reported. This is the magic bullet that will defeat most (but not all) scammers.

Regards,
Enrique

Sarmite Barvika

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:24
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How about more general phishing scams? Jun 25, 2013

Forgive me if this has been discussed in the previous 5 pages, but it has just been reported on the French forum that there's a scammer sending out emails that purport to be from the French tax authorities informing tax payers (including translators) that they are eligible for a reimbursement.

Is there a place for these in the scam centre? It seems to be restricted at present to scams involving the translation process, rather than including the larger area of the translation (or any
... See more
Forgive me if this has been discussed in the previous 5 pages, but it has just been reported on the French forum that there's a scammer sending out emails that purport to be from the French tax authorities informing tax payers (including translators) that they are eligible for a reimbursement.

Is there a place for these in the scam centre? It seems to be restricted at present to scams involving the translation process, rather than including the larger area of the translation (or any other) business. Is there need for a change? I personally would certainly like to be notified of this sort of scam, too. It's a great service to have, and I hope that all new users are being actively encouraged to sign up for notifications. It's sad when someone reports having fallen for one, when the warning was here all the time.
Collapse

Alexandre Tissot
Alexandre Tissot  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:24
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
A List Of Scammers Nov 4, 2014

Good afternoon,

Here is a list of scammers:

http://www.translator-scammers.com/

I hope it can be useful.

Best regards,

Sarmite Barvika

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing a new feature: Translator scam alert center

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »