Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
florencia at proz.com advertises Babylon ? (staff: 'Apologies - we screwed up')
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:04
French to English
+ ...
Did anyone else hear from 'Mole'? Feb 12, 2009

Did anyone else receive a personalised email from Mole at 'flatrans101' offering all the information you need to get the best translation jobs (if you buy the e-book for 49.95$)?

It may be unrelated, but I found it quite odd to get a personalised email addressed to me as a freelance translator from someone I have never heard of. As far as I know, Proz.com is the only way this person could have linked my name and the email address used to me as a freelancer, unless of course Mole is
... See more
Did anyone else receive a personalised email from Mole at 'flatrans101' offering all the information you need to get the best translation jobs (if you buy the e-book for 49.95$)?

It may be unrelated, but I found it quite odd to get a personalised email addressed to me as a freelance translator from someone I have never heard of. As far as I know, Proz.com is the only way this person could have linked my name and the email address used to me as a freelancer, unless of course Mole is a former customer that I've forgotten about (highly unlikely)... The message was not sent through Proz.com mail but addressed to me directly.

I hope that it is a fluke that this email arrived only a few hours after the Babylon spam.

Best,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 11:04
English to Greek
+ ...
@ LittleBalu: I never had this intention Feb 12, 2009

Thank you for letting me know

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Waiting for confirmation ... Feb 12, 2009

Hi Drew,

Please confirm that my e-mail address has been removed from (or has not been stored in) MagnetMail's database and/or mail server.

Thank you.
LB

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Feb 12, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Hi Drew,

Please confirm that my e-mail address has been removed from (or has not been stored in) MagnetMail's database and/or mail server.

Thank you.
LB

I'd also like to know my email address has been deleted from all databases/mail servers connected with MagnetMail and/or Babylon, or for that matter, from any other place they have landed via Proz.
Thanks

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 05:04
SITE STAFF
Drew will get back to you soon Feb 12, 2009

Hi all,

My apologies for all this inconvenience. As Drew pointed out we have suspended all 3rd party advertising messages while we address the situation and put systems in place to ensure this error does not occur again.

Drew will reply as soon as possible.

Your patience is appreciated. Thank you.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Coincidence? Feb 12, 2009

I don't know if this is related, but since yesterday I notice spam coming in...Usually the odd message every two weeks or so gets past my spam filter, but since yesterday, I have got a substantially bigger amount of spam messages (all looking more or less the same). As I said, I don't know whether this is a coincidence, but still...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:04
English to French
+ ...
That is why I also said... Feb 12, 2009

polyglot45 wrote:
...I'm a little afraid that such admissions could easily be a neat way of getting out of trouble for people who want to push things deliberately to see how far they can go before they get caught out........ A neat way of back backpedalling....

I agree with you and marketing experts have been doing a lot of promotion of the apologize-and-take-the-blame technique. Did I say marketing?

That is why I also said:

I'm not going to love ProZ any more for this, but nice job at admitting a mistake.

I wasn't swept off my feet, I just felt a little bit relieved. If I highlighted the title of the post, it was also because I am not used to seeing this kind of apology here very often. The fact remains that e-mail addresses seem to have been sold, or at least lent, that there are mistakes in the ad, etc. And fessing up to it all doesn't excuse any of those mistakes. Otherwise, criminal attorneys would be going broke...

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Quo vadis, ProZ? Feb 13, 2009

Hi Drew,

While an excuse (thank you) is the least we can expect in such a case (however, this is not the first case of data abuse), it's NOT enough. Hopefully, it's the first step to restore credibility and trust (see Google Analytics, sex ads, rubbish ads etc.). What about a proactive instead of a reactive approach?

I'd also like to know my email address(es) has been deleted from all databases/mail servers connected with MagnetMail and/or Babylon, or for that matter, from any other place they have landed via ProZ.com, e.g. Google (you used Google Analytics from 2004-2009 or for a longer period without our consent.).

@ProZ management:
Please confirm that my email address(es) and all other personal data have been logically and physically deleted from all databases/servers/files connected with MagnetMail, Babylon, Google etc.

I will soon post a new thread dealing with data protection and privacy, Google ads and the changing image of ProZ.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
thanks to ProZ for this opportunity Feb 15, 2009

I know very well Babylon tool since the beginning, and I know a bit the sender of this message

I received this e-mail, put on my website the banner, plus some personal opinion
and received the free 1 year licence
so, going against the tide, I say thanks to ProZ for this opportunity

Claudio

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
ProZ data privacy Feb 15, 2009

BTW Aniello (and others, may be)

you have your address **clearly** showed on your ProZ page and the same on your website, and yet this is not worrying you ....

but the ***worst thing*** is that you have paypal and moneybookers addresses clearly showed
so, considering that hackers have already your ID, I hope you have at least a 12 digits PW with high ASCII symbols to protect the access ...

Claudio

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

Hi Drew,

While an excuse (thank you) is the least we can expect in such a case (however, this is not the first case of data abuse), it's NOT enough. Hopefully, it's the first step to restore credibility and trust (see Google Analytics, sex ads, rubbish ads etc.). What about a proactive instead of a reactive approach?

I'd also like to know my email address(es) has been deleted from all databases/mail servers connected with MagnetMail and/or Babylon, or for that matter, from any other place they have landed via ProZ.com, e.g. Google (you used Google Analytics from 2004-2009 or for a longer period without our consent.).

@ProZ management:
Please confirm that my email address(es) and all other personal data have been logically and physically deleted from all databases/servers/files connected with MagnetMail, Babylon, Google etc.

I will soon post a new thread dealing with data protection and privacy, Google ads and the changing image of ProZ.

[Modificato alle 2009-02-15 22:17 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2009-02-15 22:19 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You are completely missing the point! Feb 16, 2009

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

BTW Aniello (and others, may be)

you have your address **clearly** showed on your ProZ page and the same on your website, and yet this is not worrying you ....

but the ***worst thing*** is that you have paypal and moneybookers addresses clearly showed
so, considering that hackers have already your ID, I hope you have at least a 12 digits PW with high ASCII symbols to protect the access ...

Claudio

I kindly ask you to read ALL relevant posts again.
Then, you will understand why your comment is irrelevant and off-topic.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still waiting ... Feb 26, 2009

Florencia Vita wrote:

Hi all,

My apologies for all this inconvenience. As Drew pointed out we have suspended all 3rd party advertising messages while we address the situation and put systems in place to ensure this error does not occur again.

Drew will reply as soon as possible.

Your patience is appreciated. Thank you.

Two weeks have passed, and no response whatsoever. What's happening on the advertising front?

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clarification on Magnet Mail Feb 26, 2009

Magnet mail is a service we are using and is only accessible by ProZ.com staff. One of the features of using a service like Magnetmail is that there is no way for a human error to allow emails to be delivered to a user that has selected a preference to “not receive 3rd party advertising messages” Magnetmail provides the preference system with a 2nd layer of security to ensure those preferences are respected. That is a primary reason for using the service.

This will help ensure t
... See more
Magnet mail is a service we are using and is only accessible by ProZ.com staff. One of the features of using a service like Magnetmail is that there is no way for a human error to allow emails to be delivered to a user that has selected a preference to “not receive 3rd party advertising messages” Magnetmail provides the preference system with a 2nd layer of security to ensure those preferences are respected. That is a primary reason for using the service.

This will help ensure that user preferences related to 3rd party email opt out will be respected, even in the event of a human error of the sort that occurred in delivering the Babylon message.

Magnetmail does not send any messages, ProZ.com sends them using the Magnetmail service and they do not use your email in anyway. This service does not use, sell, or in anyway disclose your email address. Email address are never sold or given to advertisers like Babylon.

Magnet mail takes protection of email privacy quite seriously as it is their business.

Statement from Magnetmail Service on Data Security: Real Magnet clients (ProZ.com) have exclusive rights and ownership to their data. Real Magnet is prohibited from transferring or using client data in any way without the express consent of clients (ProZ.com).
All Customer content (ProZ.com emails), data, lists and records related to its account shall be the sole property of Customer (ProZ.com). Company (Magnetmail) shall not disclose, distribute, or copy such information or data to any third party, or otherwise using such information and data, for any purpose. Company (magnetmail) shall take all reasonable steps to maintain the confidentiality of all Customer information and data. Customer(ProZ.com) is solely responsible for the content.

Again, the use of a service like Magnet mail, or constant contact, or exact target is specifically designed to ensure that ProZ.com is compliant with ANTI-SPAM legislation and provides ProZ.com and its users with a 2nd level of security regarding opt out preferences.

I hope this helps put concerns at ease.

Drew
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Drew ... Feb 26, 2009

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

Magnet mail takes protection of email privacy quite seriously as it is their business.

Statement from Magnetmail Service on Data Security: Real Magnet clients (ProZ.com) have exclusive rights and ownership to their data. Real Magnet is prohibited from transferring or using client data in any way without the express consent of clients (ProZ.com).
All Customer content (ProZ.com emails), data, lists and records related to its account shall be the sole property of Customer (ProZ.com). Company (Magnetmail) shall not disclose, distribute, or copy such information or data to any third party, or otherwise using such information and data, for any purpose. Company (magnetmail) shall take all reasonable steps to maintain the confidentiality of all Customer information and data. Customer(ProZ.com) is solely responsible for the content.

Again, the use of a service like Magnet mail, or constant contact, or exact target is specifically designed to ensure that ProZ.com is compliant with ANTI-SPAM legislation and provides ProZ.com and its users with a 2nd level of security regarding opt out preferences.

I hope this helps put concerns at ease.

Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail, Drew.

Concerning data security and email privacy, please have a look at the following link:

http://spamnation.info/go/domain/magnetmail.net

If the claims stated there are true, MagnetMail couldn't care less about privacy and security. And regarding their privacy statement - there's a German proverb translating as "paper is patient". They can put on paper whatever they like but it doesn't automatically mean that they practice what they are preaching.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Spamnation report Feb 26, 2009

Thanks for posting.

In looking more closely at the spamnation data it shows that the service Magnetmail may have been used by a potential spammer Continental Who's Who. Certainly one bad client of Magnetmail should not indicate that magnetmail disregards privacy or in some way participated in this process. I can assure you that Magnetmail cares a lot about privacy and security - it is their business. If they disregard privacy or security they will not have a business anymore. Th
... See more
Thanks for posting.

In looking more closely at the spamnation data it shows that the service Magnetmail may have been used by a potential spammer Continental Who's Who. Certainly one bad client of Magnetmail should not indicate that magnetmail disregards privacy or in some way participated in this process. I can assure you that Magnetmail cares a lot about privacy and security - it is their business. If they disregard privacy or security they will not have a business anymore. They are a reputable company and we selected them after reviewing many services.

Drew
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

florencia at proz.com advertises Babylon ? (staff: 'Apologies - we screwed up')

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »