Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Charlotte Merton
Charlotte Merton  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:28
Swedish to English
Fonts Feb 12, 2009

This looks very interesting - thank you Jason and posse!

A noddy question - can I use non-standard fonts? I have one I bought from Monotype which I would prefer to use if I am going to use the Proz invoicing tool.

Scott Savaiano
Scott Savaiano  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
French to English
connected to my project history and to proz database of outsourcers Feb 12, 2009

Hi this tool is very helpful, it would be great if the form used was the one used to create a project history entry, (same info is collected twice otherwise), and if the proz.com outsourcers database was available as "my clients." this would reduce repetitive data collection and allow me to both send my invoice to my client and ask him/her for a verification of the project at the same time. thanks.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 05:28
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
No imminent plans for ProZ.com payment processing, but maybe some day Feb 12, 2009

Nitin Goyal wrote:
I find this invoicing tool awesome.

I was wondering if PROZ could also start some system of felicitating payments for its members. I mean I wish PROZ comes up as a substitute for Paypal and Moneybookers. Paypal charges high and currency conversion rates are too poor.

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your kind words. Facilitating payments is something that ProZ.com has considered--helping members get paid is clearly within ProZ.com's mission. But as you might imagine, international payment processing involves a lot of complexity on many levels (legal, financial, technical, etc.), and it is not something currently planned. I wouldn't rule it out for the future, though.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Exporting invoice data Feb 12, 2009

Dr. Janos Annus wrote:
I have to check with the authorities in Hungary if they accept invoices that are stored on the web. When thay make individual checking of taxes, then they request us to make a list of all invoices that are stored in our computer. Do you have any information on this?

Hi Janos,

Please check with your own tax authorities about this (and please let us know what you find out). In regards to storing invoices on your own computer, it will be possible within the next few days to download all of your invoice data to your own computer, for import into a spreadsheet. You could also save a PDF copy of each invoice to your local computer. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Customizable units of measure coming soon Feb 12, 2009

Anabel Granados wrote:
I also do transcription work, and found that there is no option for this kind of "unit" (meaning minutes).

sailorjim wrote:
What is missing from your product, and what I've been looking for several years, is a keystroke-based billing option.

A feature that should meet these needs is actually planned for release tomorrow! You will be able to add your own custom units of measure, in addition to the pre-defined units currently available.

Rick Janssen wrote:
I created a new template for my Dutch clients, but I couldn't find a way to edit the unit names. So it still says 'words', 'hours' etc., whereas the rest of the invoice is in Dutch. Is it at all possible to change these?

With the custom units of measure due out tomorrow, you'll be able to translate unit names into another language.

In a couple more weeks, fully localizable invoice templates are planned, with all elements able to be translated including units and payment terms, and localized number formats as well. I'll post an announcement here when those features are released.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Downloadable invoicing tool not currently planned Feb 12, 2009

Fernando Tognis wrote:
I think this would be a great tool to download and use at home. Uploading my invoicing information and keeping it online may be risky and inconvenient.

Hi Fernando,

The invoicing tool is currently only available online, though you can save PDF copies of the invoices you create to your local PC. A feature is also being developed to export your invoice data so you can save it in a spreadsheet. A separate, downloadable version is not planned at this time, though it hasn't been ruled out as a possible future enhancement.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Non-standard fonts possible but not recommended Feb 12, 2009

Charlotte Merton wrote:
A noddy question - can I use non-standard fonts? I have one I bought from Monotype which I would prefer to use if I am going to use the Proz invoicing tool.

Hi Charlotte,

It is technically possible to use non-standard fonts in your invoice templates; the templates are just HTML so you can specify fonts in them if you choose. However, if those reading your invoice don't have those fonts installed on their own computers, the results may be unattractive. (This also applies to PDF invoices, because fonts are not embedded within the PDF document in order to keep files to a reasonable size.)

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Project history and Blue Board integration coming soon Feb 12, 2009

Scott Savaiano wrote:
Hi this tool is very helpful, it would be great if the form used was the one used to create a project history entry, (same info is collected twice otherwise), and if the proz.com outsourcers database was available as "my clients." this would reduce repetitive data collection and allow me to both send my invoice to my client and ask him/her for a verification of the project at the same time. thanks.

Hi Scott,

Some features are planned for release tomorrow that should help with this. It will be possible to create a project history entry based on data from an invoice; and to create an invoice and client using contact data from the Blue Board. Please check back tomorrow and let us know what you think. Thanks for the suggestions!

Best regards,

Jason

Marcelle Bethancourt
Marcelle Bethancourt  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 04:28
Spanish to French
+ ...
Unit = days Feb 12, 2009

This new invoicing tool seems quite good to me; however I have a comment: Most of the time I charge in days for interpretation jobs, however the word "day(s)" does not appear under "unit".

Besides, I understand that this invoicing tool is meant to be sent as an attachment and cannot be sent directly to the client's e-mail, right?

Marcelle Bethancourt

Rick Janssen
Rick Janssen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
More localization questions Feb 12, 2009

Jason Grimes wrote:

Rick Janssen wrote:
I created a new template for my Dutch clients, but I couldn't find a way to edit the unit names. So it still says 'words', 'hours' etc., whereas the rest of the invoice is in Dutch. Is it at all possible to change these?

With the custom units of measure due out tomorrow, you'll be able to translate unit names into another language.

In a couple more weeks, fully localizable invoice templates are planned, with all elements able to be translated including units and payment terms, and localized number formats as well. I'll post an announcement here when those features are released.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Best regards,

Jason

You're welcome, and thank you very much for all your hard work. I'm looking forward to the new features!
One more thing (well OK, two): Would it be possible to edit the subject line of the invoice email as well? It now says "Invoice XXX from [company name]", but I would like to be able to change this to Dutch as well.
Same question for the file name of the PDF. I understand this is generated automatically, but is there any way I can change this?

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
Decimals now working right Feb 12, 2009

Hi Jason,

Thanks for updating the way that the decimals work with yen. Still, I would like to keep the commas in the numbers. For example, 3000 yen should be 3,000 yen. To me it just makes it easier to read.

Alexander Parkhomov
Alexander Parkhomov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you Jason! Feb 13, 2009

I tried it and it is very easy to use. Great!
Very professional work.
One dream (fantasy) - if it is possible make an agreement between Moneybookers and PayPal and Prozcom. It could increase number of customers for them, add some money for Proz.com, and no need to create invoice twice. Probably it is unsafe to create a line with Moneybookers account (E-mail).
In any case it is splendid work.
Alexander

Damijan Jamsek
Damijan Jamsek  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
Automatic invoice generation based on project list Feb 13, 2009

Hi Jason,

Very good work so far, my congratulations. I tried it out, and it works smooth and nice, very useful. But unfortunately there is one major obstacle that prevents me from using is as my invoicing tool.

Currently, throughout the month, I keep record of projects done (customer, project name, PO number, words, rate, PM, …). Then, at invoicing time, I make a copy of the existing invoice for a particular client, replace due date and project contents, export to PD
... See more
Hi Jason,

Very good work so far, my congratulations. I tried it out, and it works smooth and nice, very useful. But unfortunately there is one major obstacle that prevents me from using is as my invoicing tool.

Currently, throughout the month, I keep record of projects done (customer, project name, PO number, words, rate, PM, …). Then, at invoicing time, I make a copy of the existing invoice for a particular client, replace due date and project contents, export to PDF and send it to client. At the same time I update my XLS list with the invoice number and due date.

This is a very fast and straightforward process, and it also gives me a very good overview of clients, projects, invoices and open item, since Automatic Filter in XLS makes it all very simple. I believe many freelancers use the same system or its variation.

When you created the new online invoicing tool, I was excited at first. However, to make the tool really useful (at least to me), it should have the following features incorporated:

- Keeping record of projects at they go, with customizable fields (My project history is not OK for this purpose because it forces me to enter irrelevant data. I need something more straightforward).

- Automatic creation of invoices based on that project list.

At present, the new invoicing system (otherwise a great tool) forces me to still build the list in Excel, and then (at invoice creation time), I have to copy-paste it into the invoice. This greatly hinders the actual usefulness lf the whole system.

I’m sure that other translators share my problem.

The solution would be perhaps to modify the My project history section to allow custom structure, and also allow exporting it to XLS further processing.

I hope my opinion helps.

Best Regards,
Damijan
Collapse

Richard Stephen
Richard Stephen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:28
Member (2008)
German to English
Digital signature Feb 13, 2009

I am very interested in using your online invoicing tool, however, in Germany the tax authorities require bills with a digital signature. Without such a feature I cannot use the system.

Laura Calvo Valdivielso
Laura Calvo Valdivielso  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Another string to be localizable Feb 13, 2009

In case you didn't noticed it, Jason, I'd like to add another string to list of localizables. It is the "tax ID name" in the freelancer's details box. In my case (Spain) it reads only as "VAT", whereas I need it to read as "NIF" (=Número de Identificación Fiscal).
Besides that, it's a fantastatic tool, Jason! I'll most probably adopt it soon. Many thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing invoice tool updates: data export, online payment, PDF invoices, templates, more

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »