Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
The first translation contest - please share your experience and feedback!
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I enjoyed it - Text too long - Multiple votes Feb 28, 2007

I partecipated for fun, as a technical translator I wanted to try my hand at translating a piece of literature, and found it rewarding. Leaving aside the localisation of a website or a car engine, I relaxex crafting my entry for this contest.

I have also voted, spending time in reading all 17 entries in Italian. Reviewing all of them has been quite interesting, as I enjoyed some brilliant solutions and, I must say, having quite a good time at reading some that were almost comical.
... See more
I partecipated for fun, as a technical translator I wanted to try my hand at translating a piece of literature, and found it rewarding. Leaving aside the localisation of a website or a car engine, I relaxex crafting my entry for this contest.

I have also voted, spending time in reading all 17 entries in Italian. Reviewing all of them has been quite interesting, as I enjoyed some brilliant solutions and, I must say, having quite a good time at reading some that were almost comical.
All in all, it was great fun.

The text was perhaps too long and reading all entries has been tiring. To entice many more participants, it could be better a much shorter and more difficult text, something that represents a real challenge, but no longer than 100-120 words, instead of 350.

I also would have liked a multiple vote, such as 4-2-1 points for my first, second and third choice. I hope that this is implemented in future editions as I found difficult to reward a single entry only.

The organization has not been perfect, but this is the first time and surely things will improve.
A big thank you to the organizers.

Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2007-02-28 13:49]
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:28
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Lack of interest? Feb 28, 2007

I enjoyed reading the English-Spanish entries and participated by voting, but I think the number of voters is rather low. I'm not sure if the contest is worth repeating.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
An enjoyable challenge Feb 28, 2007

Thank you for organising the contest.
I took part by sending in an entry, even though my mother tongue is English, so I was not qualified to vote (I was away throughout the voting period in any case).
I was fascinated to read the various entries in French, and to see the different ways in which the entrants had overcome the difficulties in the original text.
However, I was surprised that several entries contained actual grammatical and spelling mistakes. Always leave your work
... See more
Thank you for organising the contest.
I took part by sending in an entry, even though my mother tongue is English, so I was not qualified to vote (I was away throughout the voting period in any case).
I was fascinated to read the various entries in French, and to see the different ways in which the entrants had overcome the difficulties in the original text.
However, I was surprised that several entries contained actual grammatical and spelling mistakes. Always leave your work for a few days, chaps, and check it again before submitting it !! (Obviously not always possible with actual work assignments which are usually urgent).
I hope you'll organise more contests in future for those of us who enjoy this kind of thing, and that next time you'll allow us to translate into English for a change.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-02-28 14:26]
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Voted Feb 28, 2007

I didn't have time to participate but took some time to study the text closely and I voted.

Some proposals were quite weird but finally I hesitated between two or three translations so I think that next time it would be great to allow two or three votes. I like Gianfranco's idea of giving points - it sounds like the Eurovision contest, but it can be practical without making the result too difficult to calculate.

I also noticed that the number of votes was quite low but
... See more
I didn't have time to participate but took some time to study the text closely and I voted.

Some proposals were quite weird but finally I hesitated between two or three translations so I think that next time it would be great to allow two or three votes. I like Gianfranco's idea of giving points - it sounds like the Eurovision contest, but it can be practical without making the result too difficult to calculate.

I also noticed that the number of votes was quite low but I think that it would be interesting to repeat the contest once or twice a year - after choosing "not interested" in the Quick vote I've changed my mind!

Finally, I regret that only the winning text is visible in the thread now, I had a look at the remaining entries this morning but now it's impossible to send comments to the other participants as ASE2 suggests.

Marie-Céline
Collapse

María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
SITE STAFF
Thanks for your feedback! Feb 28, 2007

Dear Marie-Céline GEORG,

The announcement thread includes only the winning entry, but in each of the forums thread you can see all the entries that received two or more votes.

Please let me know if you have any other concern.

Kind regards,
Florencia

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:28
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I participated - poster and voter Feb 28, 2007

We would like to ask you:

- Was the experience enjoyable?

- Did you learn anything?

- Would you participate again if additional contests were held?

> [/quote]

Yes - experience was very enjoyable. For me it was a challenge, because I don't translate much in this particular ares.

Second question - we are always learning and now there are things I would translate differently, so I believe this was a way of learning
... See more

> [/quote]

Yes - experience was very enjoyable. For me it was a challenge, because I don't translate much in this particular ares.

Second question - we are always learning and now there are things I would translate differently, so I believe this was a way of learning how to approach this kind of texts.

I will definitely participate again in future contests!
Collapse

Maria Julia Macchi
Maria Julia Macchi  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations to organizers and participants of the Contest for fun. Feb 28, 2007

Henry wrote:

Thanks and congratulations to those who took part in the ProZ.com community's first "official" translation contest. In particular, congratulations to the winners!

Now that the contest is coming to a close (on a forum by forum basis), we would like to hear specifically from those who participated in the contest, either by submitting entries or by voting.

I believe that Florencia and Enrique will also have thoughts to share, based on things they experienced in administering and observing the contest, and also on feedback received to date. (For example, we have been told that voting was time consuming. We have some ideas to address this problem if future contests are held...)

Note: Please regard this as a "focus" thread. For now, we ask that only those who actually took part comment (the reply button will not appear if you have not), and then, with just one post of up to 250 words. After a few days, we will open this thread also to members who chose not to participate.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I participated and enjoyed Feb 28, 2007

I am not a literature translator but I participated, for fun, and for trying my hand.
I posted and voted in 2 pairs.

Thank you very much for this nice idea, hope to have another chance in another field and perhaps with a shorter text.

Bye bye

Angio

[Edited at 2007-02-28 21:19]

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
I loved it, as participant and voter (in 2 pairs)! Feb 28, 2007

I was very happy for this opportunity to try my style in a competition among very qualified individuals, and learn both the style of other translations, and also how my own style compares to theirs. I would definitely participate again.

My comments: I voted for both the Spanish (35) and French (23) entries, so there was A LOT to read. Perhaps set a cutoff at a certain number of entries, e.g., only first 20 entries in each pair will be considered. That would also provide an
... See more
I was very happy for this opportunity to try my style in a competition among very qualified individuals, and learn both the style of other translations, and also how my own style compares to theirs. I would definitely participate again.

My comments: I voted for both the Spanish (35) and French (23) entries, so there was A LOT to read. Perhaps set a cutoff at a certain number of entries, e.g., only first 20 entries in each pair will be considered. That would also provide an added incentive to participate sooner, and facilitate the voting.

I think keeping the text length as is encourages the "brave of spirit" to take the challenge, and acts as a first judge, so I suggest keeping it similar.

My other difficulty was shared with gianfranco: how to choose just one among so many beautiful options? I like her multi-vote proposal.

Also perhaps a voting interface like the job posting selection would be helpful, where you can eliminate entries as you go through the voting. Then you eliminate more on your second review, and so on, until you have the final one (or three) entries you like.

Thank you very much to all - organizers, participants, voters! Congratulations Ramón and Roger!

[Edited at 2007-02-28 18:43]
Collapse

Maria Messini
Maria Messini  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
English to Greek
Participant (who actually won) Feb 28, 2007

I would like to thank the 6 members who voted for me. I teach translation more than I actually produce translation so I found the experience rewarding. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

Karin Maack
Karin Maack  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Participant Feb 28, 2007

I liked the experience, as I usually do not translate literature, it was challenging. I didn't vote because I think as a participant I would have been prejudiced.

Perhaps the text should be shorter and a bit more difficult (although I didn't find it easy) so that more people find it worth reading the translations - with that few voters the results of the voting are not really meaningful.

Although I'm one of the two winners of the German contest, I am actually not conte
... See more
I liked the experience, as I usually do not translate literature, it was challenging. I didn't vote because I think as a participant I would have been prejudiced.

Perhaps the text should be shorter and a bit more difficult (although I didn't find it easy) so that more people find it worth reading the translations - with that few voters the results of the voting are not really meaningful.

Although I'm one of the two winners of the German contest, I am actually not content with my translation - but, to be honest, while I was translating, I noticed that I didn't like the source text.

If there are not more people interested in this, it might not make sense repeating it.
Nevertheless - thanks to all, especially to the organisators!
Collapse

Laura Tosi
Laura Tosi
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Interesting challenge! Mar 1, 2007

I participated as a poster and voter. I really enjoyed the challenge! I think the most interesting part of the contest was actually reading the other translations, especially if you had already reflected on the source text in order to translate it. Almost every work had something to learn from, such as a good style, the right word here and there or an interesting solution to a particular sentence.

I would have preferred a multiple vote, because choosing only one entry was difficult
... See more
I participated as a poster and voter. I really enjoyed the challenge! I think the most interesting part of the contest was actually reading the other translations, especially if you had already reflected on the source text in order to translate it. Almost every work had something to learn from, such as a good style, the right word here and there or an interesting solution to a particular sentence.

I would have preferred a multiple vote, because choosing only one entry was difficult. Of course, reading all entries was a long work, so you need to have the time to do it.

I would like to participate again in the future, but I see that only a few translators decided to have a try and vote.
Finally I would like to thank the collegues that gave me their vote, I'm glad you have appreciated my work!

Laura
Collapse

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:28
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Voted only Mar 1, 2007

I believe all translations should be made available - just let the translator choose whether or not to disclose their identity.

This applies also to translations in pairs where there was no voting because of few submissions. Specifically, Ukrainian translations (there were only 2, unfortunately) were much praised in Ukrainian & Russian communities, but we don't know who did them and can't even read them anymore.

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Why not grant BrowniZ points to participants and voters to encourage them? Mar 1, 2007

Hello Proz Staff and colleagues,

I have noticed that number of voters and participants was very small (at least in my language pair English>Arabic).
I suggest to to grant voters and participants BrowniZ points in future contests to encourage more interaction on part of members.

Question to Proz.com Staff:

Florencia stated in the contest announcment that a note will be added to the winner's profile to indicate that he/she won a translation contest.
... See more
Hello Proz Staff and colleagues,

I have noticed that number of voters and participants was very small (at least in my language pair English>Arabic).
I suggest to to grant voters and participants BrowniZ points in future contests to encourage more interaction on part of members.

Question to Proz.com Staff:

Florencia stated in the contest announcment that a note will be added to the winner's profile to indicate that he/she won a translation contest. I am the winner of Arabic translation contest, will you add a note to my profile soon?

Thanks for your cooperation!

Waleed
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:28
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Grading of 1-5 or 1-10 is suggested, BTW, about the English to Chinese pair Mar 1, 2007

I have just read a comment on the English to Chinese pair:

No entry in this language pairs received the minimum required of two or more votes.

And both the translations and comments just disappeared quietly. This means, all efforts of those participating in the translation and voting ended into nothing. I think if a better grading system is introduced, this result can be avoided.

I think a system similar to that for KudoZ, where scores between 1 and 10 (It
... See more
I have just read a comment on the English to Chinese pair:

No entry in this language pairs received the minimum required of two or more votes.

And both the translations and comments just disappeared quietly. This means, all efforts of those participating in the translation and voting ended into nothing. I think if a better grading system is introduced, this result can be avoided.

I think a system similar to that for KudoZ, where scores between 1 and 10 (It is 1-5 for KudoZ, but I suggest 1-10 for the contest) are offered to all or any entries is better than the scoring system where a vote is submitted to one winner, so in the new system, even participants with low scores can be benefited from the comments they received.

BTW, to promote the contest, I think more speaking should be allowed. From the Chinese forum, I can't see any comments on this contest. Comments were prohibited during the contest, the contest entry was later removed from the Chinese forum (it appeared again now in the second page still with no replies allowed), and nothing was announced separately on and after this strange end. Besides, it seems most people do not know whether they are allowed to speak on or ask for the status of this contest during its whole life and even after that on the Chinese forum.

If people are prohibited from talking on this contest freely, they won't be very willing to participate again.

[Edited at 2007-03-02 08:25]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The first translation contest - please share your experience and feedback!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »