9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Final voting phase closes today!
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Oct 10, 2009

Dear Members,

As it has been announced, the final voting phase of the 9th ProZ.com Translation Contest closes today Saturday, October 10, at 22:00 GMT. This means there are a few hours left to participate with your vote and help to decide the winners in your language pairs!

Select the entry that you consider the best of a group for any given language pair. Remember that all members and users of the site who are
... See more
Dear Members,

As it has been announced, the final voting phase of the 9th ProZ.com Translation Contest closes today Saturday, October 10, at 22:00 GMT. This means there are a few hours left to participate with your vote and help to decide the winners in your language pairs!

Select the entry that you consider the best of a group for any given language pair. Remember that all members and users of the site who are native in the target language and work in the same language pair they wish to vote are invited to participate. Visit the contest page and cast your vote now!

More information on the voting process is available here.

Due to a low number of votes, it was decided that some language pairs will remain open for voting until further notice or until the minimum of votes required for a winner to be determined is reached.

Winners in language pairs closed later today will be announced after Monday, October 12, at the latest.

Thank you all in advance for your participation!

And good luck to all finalists!

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some questions Oct 10, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Due to a low number of votes, it was decided that some language pairs will remain open for voting until further notice or until the minimum of votes required for a winner to be determined is reached.

Which languages would that be? And how many votes are necessary?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Some answers Oct 11, 2009

Hello Samuel,

The language pairs that will remain open for voting will be those that have received a very low number of votes, around 9 or 10 votes, or even less. However, each pair has been (and will continue to be) evaluated individually. This means that not only the number of votes but also the number of entries and the total number of voters per pair will be taken into account when deciding whether a given pair remains open or is closed.

Hope this explains.
... See more
Hello Samuel,

The language pairs that will remain open for voting will be those that have received a very low number of votes, around 9 or 10 votes, or even less. However, each pair has been (and will continue to be) evaluated individually. This means that not only the number of votes but also the number of entries and the total number of voters per pair will be taken into account when deciding whether a given pair remains open or is closed.

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Possible refinement for next time? Oct 11, 2009

Hello Lucia,

I've now voted in my pair, but I had problems remembering which I liked best.

The problem is that you are presented with (in my case, anyway) 7 entries, and you have to choose one only. This requires reading each entry carefully before you can start to decide which is the best, but with nowhere to comment I had to resort to the age-old solution: pencil and paper!

A suggestion for the next contest: would it be possible to include either a perso
... See more
Hello Lucia,

I've now voted in my pair, but I had problems remembering which I liked best.

The problem is that you are presented with (in my case, anyway) 7 entries, and you have to choose one only. This requires reading each entry carefully before you can start to decide which is the best, but with nowhere to comment I had to resort to the age-old solution: pencil and paper!

A suggestion for the next contest: would it be possible to include either a personal comments box or a "this probably isn't one of the three best entries" button? The first option would allow you to note for and against comments; the second would help you to eliminate the not-so-interesting entries.

Thanks for the great contest - may the best translator win.
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Adding personal notes for each entry Oct 11, 2009

Hello Sheila,

First of all, thanks for participating.

As for your suggestions, note that when voting, you have the option to add personal notes for each entry when reviewing them in side-by-side mode (by clicking on "Rate each entry side by side with source text »").

The personal note is just one more feature that allows you to write any note that you would like to make about a given entry during the voting phase. These notes are only visible to you so yo
... See more
Hello Sheila,

First of all, thanks for participating.

As for your suggestions, note that when voting, you have the option to add personal notes for each entry when reviewing them in side-by-side mode (by clicking on "Rate each entry side by side with source text »").

The personal note is just one more feature that allows you to write any note that you would like to make about a given entry during the voting phase. These notes are only visible to you so you can use them as a memory help, even to remind yourself that an entry may not be good.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
comments available for final voting stage? Oct 12, 2009

I know there is a comments box in the initial stage, as long as you're seeing source and translation side-by-side. This box is not shown when you go into "show all" mode.

But is it available in the final voting stage? I didn't see it, and didn't particulatly want to see the source text again anyway - I think I know the whole thing off by heart!

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Soon? Oct 14, 2009

Hello Lucia,

In the contest page near the closed entries I see a sentence which says Voting closed. Winners will be announced soon.

What does it exactly mean?

If the wording Monday, October 12, at the latest causes us to wait 3 days then I can't even imagine how much the word Soon will make us wait.

Mark Berelekhis
Mark Berelekhis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:07
Russian to English
+ ...
Not over? Oct 14, 2009

After being closed for several days, the voting has suddenly resumed?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Personal notes feature available in both qualification and final voting phases Oct 14, 2009

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I know there is a comments box in the initial stage, as long as you're seeing source and translation side-by-side. This box is not shown when you go into "show all" mode.

But is it available in the final voting stage? I didn't see it, and didn't particulatly want to see the source text again anyway - I think I know the whole thing off by heart!

Sorry for the delay in my reply, Sheila. Yes, the personal notes feature is also available in final voting phase. But, like I said in my previous reply, it is only available when reviewing entries in side-by-side mode (by clicking on "Rate each entry side by side with source text »").

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
The first set of winners will be announced soon Oct 14, 2009

Hello M. Ali and Mark,

As announced here, due to a low number of votes, it was decided that some language pairs will remain open for voting until further notice or until the minimum of votes required for a winner to be determined is reached.

Winners in language pairs that were closed will be announced soon.

I appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Lucia

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Strange Implementation by the way Oct 15, 2009

Closing the contest at the date announced, keeping it closed for 3 days and re-opening some of the pairs for voting at first glance looks innocent.

But in fact it is not, on the contrary it is an unfair implementation.

Why unfair?

Here are the reasons:
Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia

Here you obviously explain the exact details about the opened pairs.

For example a person who reads this would automatically understand that in a pair with 3-7 entries he needs only 1 or 2 best votes to win the contest. (a simple mathematic)

So with this implementation you directly say "Participants in the pairs with lower votes, ask somebody to vote!"

And not only playing with the destiny but also break the principal rules of the contest.

Also I observed one strange detail when you opened the entries:
I exactly remember that some of the entries contained 50% less disagreements (to dislikes) during the whole contest period (at the date October 10). But when you opened them again those disagreements increased and even doubled in some of the entries.

Also, if some of the pairs received less votes that is not participants' fault. You are the contest organizer. You announced the date and did promotional activities in order to attract other users to vote in their pairs. If there still less votes you should not make the participants pay for insufficient or wrong promotional activities. As you know as participants, we are not allowed to promote or boost the votes in our pairs.

I have done what requested from me:
-Did enter my text before the date announced.
-Did wait the end date (October 10)

Why should I wait more and pay for your failure in atracting votes in the contest? Why we wait? Waiting for some of the contestants will boost their votes at the last second?

Moreover, I have written a lot of ideas during evey contest about how to attract more votes in the contest how to do it better.

This is unfair.

You have announced the mathematical basics of the voters and votes while it was open.
Therefore you should disregard the latest activities in the contest and left all entries as they were at the date October 10.

If there were less votes that is not our fault.

If you are asking the participants to promote the voting process (your re-opening seems so) then, give every participant a page in the site with his/her id visible. And allow to vote everyone on the web (not in proz) then I can show how to promote and collect votes from all WWW.

[Edited at 2009-10-15 03:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9th ProZ.com translation contest: Business. Final voting phase closes today!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »