Where are the entries? (Staff: 'They are not visible while the contest is underway')
Thread poster: Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:05
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
May 16, 2008

On the contests page, there is a grey text inviting me to begin my translation here and a list informing me that there are so and so much entries for different languages.

What I wonder about is how to enter a translation or view entered translations of others. I don't find any link taking me to either a form to enter a translation or a page with translations. Any help available?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-05-20 21:37]

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:05
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
You can't view entries... May 16, 2008

Hi Matthias,

You can't view entries until the end of the submission stage - for good reasons, probably, as preparing one's own translation after reviewing other translators' attempts can hardly be regarded as fair!

Cheers,
Oleg

Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting, but... May 16, 2008

Oleg Rudavin wrote:

You can't view entries until the end of the submission stage - for good reasons, probably, as preparing one's own translation after reviewing other translators' attempts can hardly be regarded as fair!

I don't want to submit an own translation, because there are no source texts for my language pairs. I was just interested in the translations.

Is the reason that I am not allowed to submit a translation that I do not work with the souce languages of the contest? If it is so, I do not understand why I cannot see the translations. It does not make sense to deactivate both the link for entering translations and for displaying others' translations.

Kind regards
Matthias

Larissa Boutrimova
Larissa Boutrimova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I guess, the reason behind it is that... May 16, 2008

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch wrote:
It does not make sense to deactivate both the link for entering translations and for displaying others' translations.

...theoretically, a translator who doesn't work in some pair but can view translations already submitted in this pair while the submission phase is underway, might share his or her knowledge with someone who can gain from it

[Редактировалось 2008-05-16 19:40]

Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 16, 2008

[quote]Larissa B wrote:

...theoretically, a translator who doesn't work in some pair but can view translations already submitted in this pair while the submission phase is underway, might share his knowledge with someone who can gain from it

I do not think it would be easy to copy from others' translations without anyone else noticing it.

Anyway. The disappointing thing about it is that it is not possible to participate just for fun in any other language pair when your own combinations are so exotic that you are nearly the only one interested in the contest.

Kind regards
Matthias

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Increasing the number of source texts in each contest May 17, 2008

Dear Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch,

Please, don't be disappointed. We are working on increasing the number of source texts available in every new contest.

The source texts presented are proposed by the community and I'm positive there will be at least one source text in your language combinations in the upcoming contests.

Those interested in proposing a source text in a given language for an upcoming contest c
... See more
Dear Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch,

Please, don't be disappointed. We are working on increasing the number of source texts available in every new contest.

The source texts presented are proposed by the community and I'm positive there will be at least one source text in your language combinations in the upcoming contests.

Those interested in proposing a source text in a given language for an upcoming contest can contact me . I'll send you the guidelines for selecting a suitable source text and a list of upcoming themes.

Thanks for your interest.

Romina
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are the entries? (Staff: 'They are not visible while the contest is underway')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »