Spamalot
Austria
Local time: 08:41
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 26, 2018

Hi all,
I have been getting a flood of emails sent via ProZ from some outfit called Appen for things that don't interest me. Normally I only get 1 email per job and customer sent directly by the system, but this one is spamming me (and probably others too) for social media something or whatever. They send me their emails in both of my languages and they failed to stop sending me those emails after I explicitly asked them to yesterday (no response).
They are:
Sender: kamantiad<
... See more
Hi all,
I have been getting a flood of emails sent via ProZ from some outfit called Appen for things that don't interest me. Normally I only get 1 email per job and customer sent directly by the system, but this one is spamming me (and probably others too) for social media something or whatever. They send me their emails in both of my languages and they failed to stop sending me those emails after I explicitly asked them to yesterday (no response).
They are:
Sender: kamantiad
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/2446915
Sender's IP address: 203.177.37.123
Their message is:
"Hi,
My name is Kristine from Appen, a Language and IT company and I
have come across your profile here in Proz. We would like to
invite you to be one of our Web Search Evaluator. This is a
perfect online, part-time opportunity where you only need to work
for 1-4 hours a day, 5 days anytime of the week at the comfort of
your own home.
As a Web Search Evaluator, you are tasked to evaluate the quality
and relevance of information in your local area or country of
residence in categories such as news feeds, advertisements, and
search results.

This is a great opportunity for anyone interested to earn extra
income, so don’t miss out!

Link to apply:
https://talent-appen.icims.com/jobs/1178/job?mode=job&iis=Jobsite&iisn=Proz_KAmantiad

Regards,

Kristine Amantiad "

Where can I report this as evil spam? THANKS!
Collapse

Harald Moelzer (medical-translator)

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
same here Oct 26, 2018

I also wrote them to stop this, but they don't seem to listen.

4 emails from them within the last hour....grrrr!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
At the very bottom... Oct 26, 2018

spamalot wrote:
...but this one is spamming me (and probably others too) for social media something or whatever. ... and they failed to stop sending me those emails after I explicitly asked them to yesterday (no response).

What is your definition of "spamming" in this particular case?

Where can I report this as evil spam?

Well, at the very bottom of the message that you receive from ProZ.com is a footer, like this:

footer

Simply click the relevant link to report the mail. In your case, I would suggest the second-to-last option, i.e. "Block profile messages from this sender". Remember, if a sender is offering bona fide language-related work, then ProZ.com might not considere it spam, but you can still block the sender from contacting you again.

If you don't see the footer, perhaps your e-mail program has a setting that automatically hides signature lines.

Jorge Payan

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Person-to-person messages aren't a problem Oct 26, 2018

Remember, if a sender is offering bona fide language-related work, then ProZ.com might not considere it spam, but you can still block the sender from contacting you again.

The problem is not with direct messages from the user, but with the user indiscriminately carpet-bombing the entire ProZ community with offers of dubious value. Unless something has changed recently, these mass mailings cannot be blocked. When I get one, I write a polite letter to the sender not to do it anymore lest I complain to ProZ admins.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Blocking senders Oct 26, 2018

I sympathize, as I, too, have been swamped with (largely identical) mails from this company in the past few days. I have asked them to stop this, but to no avail. After that, I raised a support ticket with proz, who advised me to block this sender, which I did. Unfortunately, they continued sending mails from a different profile, which I've blocked as well. So far, this seems to have done the trick.

Proz staff also informed me that administrative action have been taken, but it seems
... See more
I sympathize, as I, too, have been swamped with (largely identical) mails from this company in the past few days. I have asked them to stop this, but to no avail. After that, I raised a support ticket with proz, who advised me to block this sender, which I did. Unfortunately, they continued sending mails from a different profile, which I've blocked as well. So far, this seems to have done the trick.

Proz staff also informed me that administrative action have been taken, but it seems that those haven't been strict enough.
Collapse

Spamalot
Harald Moelzer (medical-translator)

Malcolm Rowe
Malcolm Rowe
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
French to English
+ ...
How to block sender Aug 16, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you don't see the footer, perhaps your e-mail program has a setting that automatically hides signature lines.

The footer on mine looks a bit different but maybe it's been changed in the past couple of years.

----------------------------------------
This message was sent to you via ProZ.com's ProZ Find service.
Sender: Xybkidefnsj Xvisdne
Sender's profile: http://proz.com/profile/########
Sender's IP address: ###.###.###.###
To adjust your ProZ.com email preferences, visit this page:
http://proz.com/?sp=ef
For technical assistance, please submit a support request:
http://proz.com/support
----------------------------------------

I wasn't quite sure how to block a sender, so I did a bit of looking and thought others might find this helpful.

If you click on the link 'to adjust your Proz.com email preferences', you will be taken to your Profile message preferences page, where, first, you get the options to:
Allow anyone to send me messages via my profile page
Allow only ProZ.com users who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
Allow only logged-in ProZ.com members to send me email via my profile page
Allow no one to send me messages via my profile page

You then get an option to have messages vetted or not to have messages vetted.

Then there is a box to set up an automatic message for anyone who tries to message you.

Finally, there are fields for blocking an individual user (by username or user id), a specific IP address, a Blue Board ID or, lastly, a domain (I assume email address domain: the @jhjkhk.com part of the email address).

I hope that this helps someone.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I report spam sent via ProZ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »