Thread poster: moondance
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Admittedly... Aug 31, 2010

I DID wonder why not Canada. It's got a thriving language industry that starts on the institutional plane. But I don't know how far the crime rate favours forensics.

moondance
moondance
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Aug 31, 2010

@Wiiliamson.
Thank you again for your advice and the typical stereotype regarding Italians.. In fact, I already visited NY and California and I felt in love with them..obviously I tried with these areas but my dream can't become bigger..I would be grateful if I found a job there but is difficult, there is a high competion and concerning the life cost..let's move on...
See more
@Wiiliamson.
Thank you again for your advice and the typical stereotype regarding Italians.. In fact, I already visited NY and California and I felt in love with them..obviously I tried with these areas but my dream can't become bigger..I would be grateful if I found a job there but is difficult, there is a high competion and concerning the life cost..let's move on.
With Canada, do I have to obtain a sponsorship for the visa?

@Christine. Thank you very much for your support, I appreciate it a lot. In fact, I get often discouraged, I tried with the majority of American cities and business industries but without any result..sometimes I think it's an utopia, rather than a dream. Many people told me I need a speciality.. In fact, I love criminology and forensics, both of my two translation theses tackle gunshot wounds and ballistics but I have no expertise in this sense; maybe getting a degree or a PhD is the right way but I know I'll never be good at it, like you with medicine.. My dream is the USA also for this reason..this matter is extremely developed, I found translation agencies and I proposed my CV, offering also to take translation tests as an evaluation..but nothing.

I'm trying also to examine other fields such as linguistic institutes, museums, shops, restaurants, and import-export..but always the same thing: the internship is not paid, in some cases I must have the American citizenship, and so on. Maybe I have to abandon the USA idea on carry on with UK and Canada.

@Parriot. In fact, I considered Canada just a little..in many cases I saw they need French but, apart from this, I'm stubborn about the US. But maybe I have to try with other countries.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
For what it's worth Aug 31, 2010

moondance wrote:

With Canada, do I have to obtain a sponsorship for the visa?

There are many kinds of visa. But here's some general information for most cases: http://www.ci.gc.ca/english/index.asp

I'm told that sponsorship is seldom ever used, for immigration, anyway. The principle seems to be to give it a few months' try (that's why they ask for "show money") and see what comes up by way of employment. However, from what I see, by that same token, if you already had an ongoing translation practice, it would be easier, like a matter of moving an office.

@Parriot. In fact, I considered Canada just a little..in many cases I saw they need French but, apart from this, I'm stubborn about the US. But maybe I have to try with other countries.

I don't know about that... in fact, one of the most successful translators I know over there is Italian. And a lot of job offers from there that I get do not exactly concern French (I suppose they have enough of those). Go ahead and look for some breaks in the US in the meantime, but if you come to dead ends, remember there's this other option.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
Vancouver Sep 1, 2010

I also visited Canada. I was in Calgary (cold) and in Vancouver (wet) in winter.
In Vancouver, I have an old aquaintance.If you want I'll give you her email. Just contact me through the system. She gave me a lot of information.
If you want to emigrate to Canada, you need to pass a language exam in French/English. Canada is a lot colder than California. Canada is an immagration country.
From Vancouver to Seatac (Seatlle Tacoma) it's a day by bus.
Canada is the only count
... See more
I also visited Canada. I was in Calgary (cold) and in Vancouver (wet) in winter.
In Vancouver, I have an old aquaintance.If you want I'll give you her email. Just contact me through the system. She gave me a lot of information.
If you want to emigrate to Canada, you need to pass a language exam in French/English. Canada is a lot colder than California. Canada is an immagration country.
From Vancouver to Seatac (Seatlle Tacoma) it's a day by bus.
Canada is the only country where the title of translator is protected and translation is highly regarded.

[Edited at 2010-09-01 07:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-01 07:12 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional development

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »