Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:37
Flemish to English
+ ...
American resumés vs.European Curriculae Vitae Jun 12, 2006

[/quote]Here in the U.S. there's a big difference between an acadmic CV, which is generally multiple pages, and a resumé for non-ivory-tower folks...

Employers want a clean, one-page resumé without too much unnecessary detail. AND NO PERSONAL INFO... - (age, marital status, etc.) unlike a European resumé... msg [/quote]

When I compare both types of resumés, it strikes me that American resumes tend to use more figures and action verbs. The accomplishments described
... See more
[/quote]Here in the U.S. there's a big difference between an acadmic CV, which is generally multiple pages, and a resumé for non-ivory-tower folks...

Employers want a clean, one-page resumé without too much unnecessary detail. AND NO PERSONAL INFO... - (age, marital status, etc.) unlike a European resumé... msg [/quote]

When I compare both types of resumés, it strikes me that American resumes tend to use more figures and action verbs. The accomplishments described in the CV are almost superhuman.
example:
-I was hired by company XYZ and increased sales by x million dollars.
-I translated a million words...
---
So, for both markets one should use a different type of resumés/cv.

[Edited at 2006-06-12 06:30]
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:37
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
don't lie but make the truth look nice! Jun 12, 2006

I agree with many here, starting from Monika....

Monika Jakacka wrote:

In many ocasions I have heard from my Spanish friends that it's impossible to have a great cv without lying. Actually I have never understood that, because I have never lied in my CV. Maybe it was because I started to gain professional experience when I was almost a child (16-17 years old) and in few years my CV was already exceeding 2 pages...

Well, I hope this poll will generate an interesting discussion.

And one more thing: DON'T LIE WHEN ANSWERING THE POLL!!!

M.

...lots of my friends told me I had to lie on my CV according to the job I was gonna apply for, but I also started to gain experience quite early and already had a lot, even too much I felt at times, to fill in my CV with...and it's always worked, always got the jobs I wanted.)
Like someone else said here, I'd never be able to lie. Agree with Williamsom and Nasrin but here; prepare your CV according to the job you're applying for, i.e. only relevant experience, and elaborate the information (and no need to lying here either) to put it down in the best way you think the job offerer wants to hear it... not always easy but..
I'm quite new at translating professionally, I've done a bit of translations in the years, but always inbetween other jobs or so, but I always tell the truth when I apply for a job, hoping that the client sees 'the good into it'...hope i'm right and I'll start seeing some results soon...

df49f (X)
df49f (X)
France
Local time: 11:37
amen Jun 12, 2006

Robert Forstag wrote:
The numbers of people who leave out unflattering data, stretch the truth or outright lie on their resumes is very large. On the face of it, there is no reason to believe that proz.com members differ from the general population in this regard. I would therefore submit that the numbers of people in the current poll who report having "lied" is certainly a gross underrepresentation of those who have actually done so.
Bob

My thoughts exactly... plus:
1) as a freelancer, we don't even need CVs/resumes - what we need are several lists of references of clients and past work, adapted as necessary to match the job offers that we'd like to get.
2) just look at proz profiles and the number of people who claim to be "native" in several languages, then note their "command" of the supposedly native language in their questions/answers/forum posts... Same thing for claims of specialty fields in the profile.
3) whatever a CV or profile may claim, on proz the truth quickly reveals itself loud and clear via the number and type of questions asked, the answers proposed and even in the award of Agrees/disagrees.
4) even anonymously, some people would not admit that they sometimes behave in a less-than-ethical fashion on a site read by their peers.
df

[Edited at 2006-06-12 13:40]

Mahammad Kalfat (X)
Mahammad Kalfat (X)
Local time: 12:37
Arabic to English
+ ...
Rather, I've always unsold myself. Jun 12, 2006

"Yes, I own this certificate," I said to my first fulltime interviewer, "but you know it's worthless; I'm not really good at 3DStudioMax."

"Professional?" I, 3 years later, asked in a messenger session with the editor for a monthly I started to translate for recently, with a quizzical smily, "I believe I'm amateur, alas, miseducated. I just work hard and demandingly to make up for that--and this has nothing to do with quickness; I never submit my work on time."

My close
... See more
"Yes, I own this certificate," I said to my first fulltime interviewer, "but you know it's worthless; I'm not really good at 3DStudioMax."

"Professional?" I, 3 years later, asked in a messenger session with the editor for a monthly I started to translate for recently, with a quizzical smily, "I believe I'm amateur, alas, miseducated. I just work hard and demandingly to make up for that--and this has nothing to do with quickness; I never submit my work on time."

My close friend, a software developer, edits his CV every time he applies. He justifies that by saying he just "tailors" it by highlighting the areas where the job is focused. I don't do that, I have ONE Arabic version and ONE English. I edit them only when I figure out that something needs to be elaborated on, spelt out, or rephrased. On certain occasions I found that I really experienced, even though occasionally and slightly, the needed expertise (e.g. copywriting and technical writing) which is not stated as such if mentioned at all, in these cases the job offer serves as a reminder for me; a way to, so to speak, 'reimagine' yourself.

My juvenile odd jobs and my poetry experience are included in my CV.

A CV is a record, records should be honest, inter alia.

[Edited at 2006-06-12 12:38]

[Edited at 2006-06-13 10:21]
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Other: does it even matter what's in a translator's CV? Jun 12, 2006

I don't see how anyone's translation skills can be judged by a CV, Proz Profile page or website. We are all free to tell the truth or lie as we see fit. About anything, from our native language to the education and experience we say we've had. Imho, a CV is about as relevant for judging a translator as it is for judging an opera singer. People will only know how good one is/isn't when they see (or hear) the actual end product. Talk is cheap and it's so easy to beef up a CV or profile page. And... See more
I don't see how anyone's translation skills can be judged by a CV, Proz Profile page or website. We are all free to tell the truth or lie as we see fit. About anything, from our native language to the education and experience we say we've had. Imho, a CV is about as relevant for judging a translator as it is for judging an opera singer. People will only know how good one is/isn't when they see (or hear) the actual end product. Talk is cheap and it's so easy to beef up a CV or profile page. And for those without the talent but with the money, one can hire firms to dress it up for you.
Naturally a juicy looking CV may get you in the door, but it will be a revolving door if you can't deliver the goods at the level you've promised in the CV or on the Profile page.
The proof is in the pudding. Don't see the need or reason for having an over-the-top CV. Or for telling lies. It will never pay off in the end.
Collapse

Marian Greenfield
Marian Greenfield  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
you made me chuckle... Jun 14, 2006

writeaway wrote:

I don't see how anyone's translation skills can be judged by a CV, Proz Profile page or website. We are all free to tell the truth or lie as we see fit. About anything, from our native language to the education and experience we say we've had. Imho, a CV is about as relevant for judging a translator as it is for judging an opera singer. ... Talk is cheap and it's so easy to beef up a CV or profile page. ...

Naturally a juicy looking CV may get you in the door....

... Thinking back to my days as Translation Manager at JP Morgan... It was the "juicy" resumés that went in the garbage... Anybody claiming to be able to translate into more than two target languages and in more than a couple specialty areas immediately disqualified themselves from consideration even to take my 5-hour translation test. If they followed up with a phone call, I told them their resumé went straight into the garbage.

So inflating resumé is probably not only helpful... it could even keep you from getting that proverbial foot in the door so you can prove yourself.

msg

Chulhyun Ahn
Chulhyun Ahn
Spain
Local time: 11:37
Korean to English
+ ...
JP Morgan Chase ATM flaunts embarrassing typo! Jul 21, 2006

Who did the translation or DTP work on Korean menu for the JP Chase ATM? Because whoever did it really screwed up. The Korean language selection button has an embarrasing typo, and what's even worse, it's a poor translation. When the Spanish button simply says "Espanol", Korean button says "Select Korean". It's been more than one month and they still haven't fixed it. Somebody screwed up, now they have to reprogram millions of ATMs which will cost them countless work hours. Not to mention thei... See more
Who did the translation or DTP work on Korean menu for the JP Chase ATM? Because whoever did it really screwed up. The Korean language selection button has an embarrasing typo, and what's even worse, it's a poor translation. When the Spanish button simply says "Espanol", Korean button says "Select Korean". It's been more than one month and they still haven't fixed it. Somebody screwed up, now they have to reprogram millions of ATMs which will cost them countless work hours. Not to mention their company image will be tainted among Korean clients.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever lied in your CV?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »