A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >
Poll: If I finish a project in advance, I...
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
MUNKATÁRS
Aug 7, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If I finish a project in advance, I...".

This poll was originally submitted by Susanna Martoni. View the poll results »

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Oroszországi Föderáció
Local time: 20:19
angol - orosz
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

If I have no other work, I'll send it immediately to the client, but if I have other work to do for another client, I'll wait until the deadline and use the time to to such other work. I assume, this is a regular client, so he is likely to send me more work as soon as he receives this piece of work.

Vitali Stanisheuski
Vitali Stanisheuski
Belarusz
Local time: 20:19
Tag (2005 óta)
angol - orosz
+ ...
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
Other Aug 7, 2010

Usually, I deliver the project immediately. But if I feel tired, want some rest and guess that the same customer will immediately assign something new after delivery, then I may wait until the very deadline to deliver the job.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 18:19
német - angol
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

I sit on it for a while, then check it again and send it back a little bit early!

Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Depends Aug 7, 2010

I made the experience that once you finish a job earlier and deliver it earlier, some customers expect that you will always work faster. Therefore, with some customers, I wait until approximately the time of delivery to actually deliver the translation.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
angol - francia
+ ...
Immediately Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

I sit on it for a while, then check it again and send it back a little bit early!

I do not consider a job is "finished" and "ready to deliver" unless I slept over it and checked it again!

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 18:19
olasz - angol
My approach too Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

though sometimes the actual timing will take Vitali's point (about having a break) into account as well.

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
A mixture of both Aug 7, 2010

Russell Jones wrote:

Mary Worby wrote:

though sometimes the actual timing will take Vitali's point (about having a break) into account as well.

I usually take the time to revise it thoroughly and then send it, before the deadline, taking a well-deserved braek as well

Nigel.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 13:19
Tag (2009 óta)
francia - angol
+ ...
i like finishing and sending a bit early Aug 7, 2010

in case there are any changes or revisions. However, I make sure I take time to 'sleep on it' and make sure it's ok before i send it.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 10:19
Tag (2003 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Earlier delivery = more work! Aug 7, 2010

The earlier I deliver my work, the sooner I get another job. Since I tend to get large assignments, I like getting the next one quickly. Early delivery can make a noticeable difference in my income.

Of course, I wouldn't deliver any work without reviewing it as carefully as I always do.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Hollandia
angol
+ ...
Ditto. Aug 7, 2010

Mary Worby wrote:

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Olaszország
angol - olasz
finish and send Aug 7, 2010

If I finish it earlier, check and send (obviously if I have no other translations on my desk/computer), otheriwise I'll forget it.

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 13:19
Tag (2009 óta)
francia - angol
Other Aug 7, 2010

I guess this depends on your definition of "finished," but if I have extra time, I would prefer to let the project rest and revise again. Yes, I might find some errors at this stage, but my main goal is to buff the translation so that it shines. Once it reaches the point where I cannot imagine that any change would improve the document, it is time to send it off. I prefer to return projects a half-day or even a few hours before the deadline to allow for any last minute glitches.

neilmac
neilmac
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2010

I may revise it again and give it a polish.
Usually deadlines are tight, so any extra time is always welcome and even good quality texts can usually be enhanced somehow if you have the time...

bizisyl
bizisyl
Local time: 14:19
angol - spanyol
+ ...
My preferred approach as well. Aug 7, 2010

Jenn Mercer wrote:

I guess this depends on your definition of "finished," but if I have extra time, I would prefer to let the project rest and revise again. Yes, I might find some errors at this stage, but my main goal is to buff the translation so that it shines. Once it reaches the point where I cannot imagine that any change would improve the document, it is time to send it off. I prefer to return projects a half-day or even a few hours before the deadline to allow for any last minute glitches.

A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If I finish a project in advance, I...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »