Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: What is your main source of happiness in life?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree with Gad, Humbird and Maria Eugenia. Feb 14, 2009

[quote]María Eugenia Wachtendorff wrote:

There is no source of happiness if you are unable to appreciate every single aspect of life and make the most out of it.

It's not what we have (or whom we have), but our life philosophy that makes us happy or unhappy.

Imran Noor
Imran Noor  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:46
Somali to English
+ ...
Poll: What is your main source of happiness in life? Feb 14, 2009

I voted parents, I was suprised parents were at way bottom. So far most people voted children it is intresting and makes sense to be honest, children can rock your world but compare to my parents? they will take the back seat!
Thanks for asking.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Happiness comes from within Feb 14, 2009

gad wrote:

Although all those things can contribute, my main source of happiness is my own attitude towards those things.

I believe true happiness comes from within. I am happy to see so many translators are happy.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My job Feb 14, 2009

Interlangue wrote:
I may be nuts, but my job is faithful and gratifying, hardly ever disappointing and it allows me to enjoy the rest of my life too (family, friends, hobbies…)

Before translating, I was OK financially but not satisfied with my work situation (TEFL), since the positive outcomes were few and the frustations legion. As a translator, I am now not only better off in material terms, but happier because I enjoy more independence, flexibility, variety and recognition in my work, while in a continuous learning process. This enables me to spend my own time with friends or family and do more things I enjoy, like gardening or walking the dogs, cooking or staying up late if I feel like it.

Giorgio Tenedios (X)
Giorgio Tenedios (X)
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
parents a good last in the list? Feb 14, 2009

Much light is thrown on today's society where parents come a good last, even after pets..... What a shame!!!!

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
very difficult to choose Feb 14, 2009

I opted for the kids but feel a bit guilty for missing the S/O out really she should be up on a level with the kids, this is then closely followed by my two hobbies the first one being important becasue it is one that i do with my daughters which is football - my secodn hobby is also important but this is an individual one which is actualy combined with my job in bettering and imporving myself as a linguist.

I didn't include parents as they are no longer here but had they been they
... See more
I opted for the kids but feel a bit guilty for missing the S/O out really she should be up on a level with the kids, this is then closely followed by my two hobbies the first one being important becasue it is one that i do with my daughters which is football - my secodn hobby is also important but this is an individual one which is actualy combined with my job in bettering and imporving myself as a linguist.

I didn't include parents as they are no longer here but had they been they would have to eb up there with the family.
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Statistics Feb 14, 2009

giorgioten wrote:

Much light is thrown on today's society where parents come a good last, even after pets..... What a shame!!!!

Ciao giogioten,

As we have no indication of the average age of the respondents, we should perhaps consider to what extent they (still) have parents and/or (already) have children?

Saluti
Chris

Next poll: How old are you guys??

Khrystene (X)
Khrystene (X)
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
Me. Feb 14, 2009

“Human happiness and human satisfaction must ultimately come from within oneself. It is wrong to expect some final satisfaction to come from money or from a computer.”

HH XIV Dalai Lama of Tibet

danilingua
danilingua  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Chris making sense again ;-) Feb 14, 2009

Textklick wrote:

giorgioten wrote:

Ciao giogioten,

As we have no indication of the average age of the respondents, we should perhaps consider to what extent they (still) have parents and/or (already) have children?

Saluti
Chris

Next poll: How old are you guys??

Hi Chris,
45, single with child and pet and parents

true - we don't know how this question was meant to be understood so I wont pre-judge too quickly. It makes me happy to see my son and my dog do funny things - I cannot say that about my parents ,-) which does not mean I do not equally appreciate them

and my work makes me VERY happy because it brings in the necessary $$$$ to not worry, which is also a source of happiness. and that happiness has to come from within, needless to say, just like motivation - or we would not be the "Schreibtischtäter" that we are

D (whats that in E?)

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right! Feb 14, 2009

Nesrin wrote:

Isn't that interesting, and a bit sad?

Reminds me of a saying I heard from my mum (apparently it's originally Turkish?):

"I love you so much, my daughter", said the mother. "And I too," replied the daughter, "love my daughter".

(replied "my children" by the way)

Couldn't agree more with you, Nesrin! It's incredible how little parents are loved here!! So sad! After all, they gave us life, education, paid for our studies and cared for us so much, etc., etc. (at least, in my case). Amazing how unthankful some people can be! Leaves me speechless...!

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
About parents Feb 14, 2009

Cristina Heraud-van Tol wrote:
Couldn't agree more with you, Nesrin! It's incredible how little parents are loved here!! So sad! After all, they gave us life, education, paid for our studies and cared for us so much, etc., etc. (at least, in my case). Amazing how unthankful some people can be! Leaves me speechless...!

I don't think that me and all the people who voted for one of the other options are unthankful towards their parents... you just get to a time in your life when other things play a more important role. And if that is true for me (still a student, about to graduate) it must be even more true for people who are older than me, with their own families, jobs... their own lives.

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Beck might know... Feb 14, 2009

danilingua wrote:
we would not be the "Schreibtischtäter" that we are

D (whats that in E?) [/quote]

paper tigers?

Paul Kachur
Paul Kachur
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Hobbies a close second Feb 14, 2009

My hobbies (music, miniature figures) are a close second to my children, I look forward to the day when they are old enough to take active part...

[Edited at 2009-02-14 21:03 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
I think I'm dumb... may be just happy Feb 14, 2009

Think I'm just happy for every day in my life is for something new.
And really enjoy learning something new and probably useful.

Now I draw my inspiration from my nephew'n'niece schooling and reviews of lessons learnt some 10 years ago
Cheers

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 04:46
English to Russian
+ ...
I respectfully disagree Feb 14, 2009

giorgioten wrote:

The question was "what is your greatest source of happiness", not "whom do you love/respect most", or "what is your highest priority in life".

I don't think any of my colleagues neglect their parents, forget to call them for weeks and months and are just plain rude and disrespectful to them. No, I'm positive it's not the case!

But it is something else, and not the parents, that makes my colleagues happy. I see nothing wrong with that.

If you ask my three daughters this poll's question, I doubt any one of them will say "my mother is my greatest source of happiness", and this is quite alright with me.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your main source of happiness in life?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »