论题张贴者: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 18:06
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
Sep 3, 2010

Or it seems that way. I don't use Excel much except for keeping track of jobs and payments. Very simple stuff. Today I wanted to add a new tab to keep track of a new client who I will work with in a different way. At first I couldn't find how to do this but eventually I saw something which said "insert new sheet". This must be it, I thought.

It gave me a brand new sheet and I input the small amount of information I had to start with and saved. Now I realise that I can't get to my or
... See more
Or it seems that way. I don't use Excel much except for keeping track of jobs and payments. Very simple stuff. Today I wanted to add a new tab to keep track of a new client who I will work with in a different way. At first I couldn't find how to do this but eventually I saw something which said "insert new sheet". This must be it, I thought.

It gave me a brand new sheet and I input the small amount of information I had to start with and saved. Now I realise that I can't get to my original. I thought I was creating a second tab or sheet or whatever it's called inside the same document. It did say "insert," after all, and not replace and do away with altogether. By the way, it's the 2007 version.

Have I really lost my data or just my mind?

Thanks for any help...(feeling very humble)
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
法国
Local time: 02:06
正式会员 (自2003)
English英语译成Dutch荷兰语
+ ...
Recent documents Sep 3, 2010

Open Excel and click on the Office Button or Files in the menu to see a list of recent documents. Your file must be there.

Cheers,
Gerard

patyjs
墨西哥
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Doesn't help, I'm afraid. Sep 3, 2010

Since I saved the doc, all I get is the new information. What happened to my original doc? Did I overwrite it?

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 17:06
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
纪念
were these pre-Windows 2007 files? Sep 4, 2010

patyjs wrote:

Since I saved the doc, all I get is the new information. What happened to my original doc? Did I overwrite it?

Paty,

I've had some bedeviling problems, too, when I open up Excel files saved in Vista or Office 2003. I finally began regularly saving the older files as Excel 2007 before doing anything to them, and I think that has solved the problems.

As to the file that vanished, in the folder, is their a file named with numbers and not identified as an Excel file? I found some of my lost material in those sorts of files, but right off the top of my head, I'm not sure how I opened them (this happened to me in July--light years ago for my old brain!).

Good luck!
Patricia

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
German德语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Help! I've lost my excel sheet. Sep 4, 2010

patyjs wrote:

Gerard's procedure is the best one. However, as this seem not to work, I would like to suggest you to do an overall search with the Windows explorer for all the file extensions .xls and xlsx, and once done to look if there is one or more files that match your original filename. Good luck.

[Edited at 2010-09-04 01:10 GMT]

patyjs
墨西哥
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Nope. Sep 4, 2010

Thanks Pablo and Patricia but neither of your suggestions has worked. When I open my doc all I can see are the 3 (yes, 3) boxes of information I input on the new "hoja". There were dozens of entries on the page I can't find, many highlighted. In fact, the size of the file is still 114 kb which seems a lot for 3 little boxes and makes me think the information might still be there somewhere.

In any case, I still don't know how to create a new page/sheet/whatever within the same docume
... See more
Thanks Pablo and Patricia but neither of your suggestions has worked. When I open my doc all I can see are the 3 (yes, 3) boxes of information I input on the new "hoja". There were dozens of entries on the page I can't find, many highlighted. In fact, the size of the file is still 114 kb which seems a lot for 3 little boxes and makes me think the information might still be there somewhere.

In any case, I still don't know how to create a new page/sheet/whatever within the same document...to get the little tabs at the bottom.

Collapse

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
拉脱维亚
Local time: 03:06
English英语译成Latvian拉托维亚语
+ ...
~ Sep 4, 2010

Have you tried clicking on the arrows on the left bottom corner? Maybe it helps.

Or perhaps the sheet
... See more
Have you tried clicking on the arrows on the left bottom corner? Maybe it helps.

Or perhaps the sheet is hidden: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/hide-or-display-worksheets-or-workbooks-HP001217033.aspx

[Edited at 2010-09-04 01:56 GMT]
Collapse

patyjs
墨西哥
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
Thanks, Evija, but I don't have any. Sep 4, 2010

I was expecting to see exactly that when I inserted the sheet...but there's nothing.

I'm stumped.

patyjs
墨西哥
Spanish西班牙语译成English英语
+ ...
主题发起人
FOUND IT!!!!! Sep 4, 2010

Oh, joy. There it is. I went into "organizar ventanas" and clicked on "horizontal". Hallelujah!

Who would have guessed! So I didn't loose it after all.

Time to crack open a cold one!

Thanks for your help, everyone

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:06
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Hidden information Sep 4, 2010

Hi Patsy,

This has happened to me as well, usually before I started using Office 2007 and someone had sent me a 2007 file. What would happen to me is that I would be unable to see the arrows at the bottom or any additional "sheets". If I remember correctly I would have to use the arrow keys to get to the very top of the sheet, sometimes I would have to close the document again and reopen it, but eventually it would "resize" and I was then able to open any additional "sheets". Most o
... See more
Hi Patsy,

This has happened to me as well, usually before I started using Office 2007 and someone had sent me a 2007 file. What would happen to me is that I would be unable to see the arrows at the bottom or any additional "sheets". If I remember correctly I would have to use the arrow keys to get to the very top of the sheet, sometimes I would have to close the document again and reopen it, but eventually it would "resize" and I was then able to open any additional "sheets". Most of the time it would happen to me if I closed the document while the cursor was positioned at the last entry, rather than at the top. Sounds weird, but somehow moving all the way to the top of the page, closing the document and then reopening it seemed to fix my problem. Hopefully this will work for you as well.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! I've lost my excel sheet.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »