论题张贴者: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 14:53
French法语译成English英语
Jun 17, 2010

Hello,
I received a request to translate some material with Word read only files.
When I downloaded the unzipped the material, the 2 separate files were in the same folder.
I opened each one separately, and they are Word read only files. I tried to convert them to regular files, by following onscreen directions. The directions say to click on the Microsoft word button, and open each file. Then rename them and save. The files , however, do not save.

He asked me t
... See more
Hello,
I received a request to translate some material with Word read only files.
When I downloaded the unzipped the material, the 2 separate files were in the same folder.
I opened each one separately, and they are Word read only files. I tried to convert them to regular files, by following onscreen directions. The directions say to click on the Microsoft word button, and open each file. Then rename them and save. The files , however, do not save.

He asked me to return clean and unclean files, and a tm, but I cannot get the material into Trados.

Any help appreciated.

Jessie
Collapse

Mario Gonzalez
Mario Gonzalez  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 11:53
正式会员 (自2008)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
extract Jun 17, 2010

Did you move them from the zipped folder onto your desktop?

That needs to be done if you haven't.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
加拿大
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Right click on the name of the *.doc file.. Jun 17, 2010

click on "properties" (last tab) and uncheck the "read only" checkbox. Really that simple... I sometime use the "read only" feature to make certain that I won't overwrite a file... Have fun!

Edit to remove reference to "archive", at least under Vista.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 21:22 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
乌克兰
Local time: 21:53
正式会员 (自2008)
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
Try... Jun 17, 2010

... opening them in WordPad ... it ignores many of the constraints of the actual Word.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
奥地利
Local time: 20:53
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
Copy content into new file Jun 17, 2010

I find it easiest just to copy the entire text into a new file. There should be no problem working with the file then

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
加拿大
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
oupss! Jun 17, 2010

Jessie Nelson wrote:

...The directions say to click on the Microsoft word button, and open each file. Then rename them and save. The files , however, do not save.

In fact, once the file is opened, you have to "save as" the file under another name. Then, it will save.

Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
美国
French法语译成English英语
主题发起人
read only file opens Jun 18, 2010

Thank you so much everyone.

I did indeed move the file to the desktop, then save with a new name, and the file did save.
The last time it did not, but maybe being on the desktop helped.

Jesse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Read only word files

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »