Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:47
English to German
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

Dear Prozzers,

Word 2007 seems to be inflating some of my Word files to multiples of the original size.

I have been using the same Word template for my invoices for years. Originally the Word docs for my invoices (which include an embedded logo image and Excel table) were about 35 kb large.

Now after updating everything to Word 2007, my record-breaking doc file is 2.2 MB in size!

I thought the new format was a space saver. This seems to be tru
... See more
Dear Prozzers,

Word 2007 seems to be inflating some of my Word files to multiples of the original size.

I have been using the same Word template for my invoices for years. Originally the Word docs for my invoices (which include an embedded logo image and Excel table) were about 35 kb large.

Now after updating everything to Word 2007, my record-breaking doc file is 2.2 MB in size!

I thought the new format was a space saver. This seems to be true of many simpler files (text only), but certainly not for my invoices.

Does anybody know what's going on? How can I save on data volumes for what are very simple documents?

Thanks,
-Mike H.-
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
German to English
Save to Word 2003 format Apr 28, 2010

I've created several invoices since switching over to Office 2007. To avoid potential incompatibilities with client systems, I've always saved the files in Word 2003 format. Without the xml overhead, the file sizes have remained about the same as before. The format of your embedded Excel table (more xml overhead) may also be influencing this.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:47
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my take of the situation... Apr 28, 2010

Mike Hodshon wrote:

Dear Prozzers,

Does anybody know what's going on? How can I save on data volumes for what are very simple documents?

a) at 1TB hard disk for cca 100euro the bloat should not be a problem.
b) word for invoicing!? have a look at translation office 3000 for instance.

regards

vito

[Edited at 2010-04-28 17:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 to 2007: Data bloat!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »