Export Outline text from PowerPoint to Word (2003) - Not working at all
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
English to Spanish
Apr 20, 2010

I have around 500 slides to proofread. I wish to export each file to Word, as outline. That will make it easier to determine the changes needed and show the changes done.

I followed the "Save As, Outline, Paste only" instructions but nothing gets converted to Word.

I selected the Outline view on PowerPoint and I only see little squares on the left side, one per slide in the file. No text at all. The Outline view is blank.

How can I export the text if Power
... See more
I have around 500 slides to proofread. I wish to export each file to Word, as outline. That will make it easier to determine the changes needed and show the changes done.

I followed the "Save As, Outline, Paste only" instructions but nothing gets converted to Word.

I selected the Outline view on PowerPoint and I only see little squares on the left side, one per slide in the file. No text at all. The Outline view is blank.

How can I export the text if PowerPoint itself does not see it?
Does this has something to do with the fashion in which this presentation was prepared and saved? If so, is there a way around it?

--------------
I guess this happens because all the text is in text boxes and there is no way around to solve this other than maybe special macros or special conversion software.

[Edited at 2010-04-20 22:04 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:53
English to French
Get the ppt text from a CAT tool Apr 21, 2010

If the ppt presentation wasn't created the "proper" way, the "Outline" text is empty. I am not a Powerpoint 2003 wizard, and I couldn't find a way to export/extract all text from the program.

Maybe you could try to import the ppt to some CAT tool, then export the source (or target file that you may have to create just pasting the source, depending of the CAT tool) to some Word-readable format and get all unformatted text from the Powerpoint file. I think MemoQ could do this.
<
... See more
If the ppt presentation wasn't created the "proper" way, the "Outline" text is empty. I am not a Powerpoint 2003 wizard, and I couldn't find a way to export/extract all text from the program.

Maybe you could try to import the ppt to some CAT tool, then export the source (or target file that you may have to create just pasting the source, depending of the CAT tool) to some Word-readable format and get all unformatted text from the Powerpoint file. I think MemoQ could do this.

Good luck,
Philippe
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat Apr 21, 2010

Alternatively, Werecat is a good way of extracting text from a PPT, and if necessary, putting it back again!

It's available for free download, just do a quick Google to find it.

It does tag the file (handy for putting it back!), but if that is a nuisance to you, it's easy to search-&-replace on the tag style and simply remove all the tags at a stroke.

[Edited at 2010-04-21 14:22 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Promising but disappointing Apr 21, 2010

Tony M wrote:

Alternatively, Werecat is a good way of extracting text from a PPT, and if necessary, putting it back again!

It's available for free download, just do a quick Google to find it.

It does tag the file (handy for putting it back!), but if that is a nuisance to you, it's easy to search-&-replace on the tag style and simply remove al the tags at a stroke.

Tony, your suggestion got my enthusiasm going and I did exactly as suggested. I am sorry to report the results of the search:

"Werecat
Werecats are shapeshifters.

NOTE: Werecat is a discontinued project.
Many errors remain and Werecat will often fail, especially with Word 2007 or newer.

I keep this web page up just for those who know their ways around.
Newcomers are discouraged from messing with Werecat."

--------------------------
Meanwhile, the client himself tried to export the text, with the same results; he now knows he will have no way of knowing how many changes I made during the proofreading process.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Werecat still OK! Apr 21, 2010

Yes, I know that's what you see when you search — but you can still download it (I did it myself just the other day!) and it works perfectly fine.

You really SHOULD try it, I feel sure it is the solution to your problem!

Here is the direct link to the page, and if you scroll down just a little bit, just under How it works, there is a link to download it.

As it is only a Word template, it really couldn't be easier to install and use, and so far, I'v
... See more
Yes, I know that's what you see when you search — but you can still download it (I did it myself just the other day!) and it works perfectly fine.

Here is the direct link to the page, and if you scroll down just a little bit, just under How it works, there is a link to download it.

As it is only a Word template, it really couldn't be easier to install and use, and so far, I've had no real problems with it, as long as you don't mess with the tags (assuming it is your intention to re-insert the text after translation, of course!)

Note that you have to open PPT with just the presentation you want to translate (export), and no others, and then you open a new (empty) document in Word and click on the Werecat icon, and after a short processing delay, all the text from the PPT appears in the Word doc., which you can then process as you see fit.

[Edited at 2010-04-21 14:25 GMT]
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Willing to try Apr 21, 2010

Tony M wrote:

I am always wary of downloading freeware to my computers but, having your "blessing", I will do it. It will have to be this evening or tomorrow evening, but I will post the results.

Yes, the text needs to be reinserted on the ppt file. I will test all the steps (export, translation and import back) on just one of the modules, just in case.

Thanks!

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Overwhelmed Apr 24, 2010

I apologize for not returning to post sooner. I have not been able to do anything with this. Once I started proofreading the ppt files I realized reviewing would require enormous amounts of time. Although I saw a sample of the work I could have never imagined how bad this translation is. I am redoing most of it so I need to work fast to invest the least amount of time possible. I even got elbow tendinitis. It is appalling and upsetting. To think that my policy is to not do proofreading.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export Outline text from PowerPoint to Word (2003) - Not working at all

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »