Tips on Getting back into interpreting after a long period as a translator
Thread poster: Stephanie Michaux
Stephanie Michaux
Stephanie Michaux
Local time: 11:06
English to French
+ ...
Jun 5, 2011

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have done any kind of interpreting, having become more of a translator. I have been hired for a two day conference, and 16 hours of simultaneous interpreting as the sole interpreter is starting to freak me out a little bit. Does anyone have any basic advice or similar experience of getting back into things? Is two 8hour days too much? Should I ask if a second person can be hired while there is still time ahead of us?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
two 8-hour days alone ? Jun 5, 2011

Heaven forbid !
This is arrant nonsense and I'm surprised you are even contemplating it. Just think of the practicalities, if nothing else. Shut up in a booth, unable to leave the room. The interpreter's nightmare.
I daren't ask the subject or how much they are paying you but quadruple it and you'll still be losing out.
You need to be at least two in the team, for starters. Is it working in both directions? Then you need one mother tongue of each language, even if both can, if
... See more
Heaven forbid !
This is arrant nonsense and I'm surprised you are even contemplating it. Just think of the practicalities, if nothing else. Shut up in a booth, unable to leave the room. The interpreter's nightmare.
I daren't ask the subject or how much they are paying you but quadruple it and you'll still be losing out.
You need to be at least two in the team, for starters. Is it working in both directions? Then you need one mother tongue of each language, even if both can, if pushed, work in both directions.
If you take this on alone, especially when rusty, you are heading for big trouble. Don't do it.

As to getting back in the groove, try TV: Watch the news in one language and try simultaneously translating it into the other out loud or in your head. Note the things that make you stumble and after about 30 minutes (the actual time will depend on your stamina), when you take a break, think of ways round the problems, find the term that wouldn't come to mind, note it in writing (often helps to fix it in your memory).
Above all, prepare for the event by getting hold of as many preparatory documents as you can, going on the website of the particular or similar clients, noting unusual terms, etc.

If you have actual texts, do on sight translating out loud or in your head to see how you would handle the actual talk or whatever it is.
Be sure you are rested on the day. Be au fait with the topic, talk to as many people as you can in any breaks to see how they phrase things, what words they prefer, even check out their ideas in advance.

But DO NOT GO IT ALONE. That would be madness
Collapse

Sigrid Berthelon
Sigrid Berthelon  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:06
German to French
+ ...
Never alone in the booth Jun 5, 2011

Hello Stéphanie,

I don't have a very long career of interpreting behind me, but still I have been in the booth several times now, and here are some thoughts about the question.

You wrote that it was a simultaneous job, so I guess that there will be booths on site, and usually when there are interpreting booths there is also a budget for conference interpreting, so I would be suprised if your client really couldn't afford having a second interpreter.
I don't know
... See more
Hello Stéphanie,

I don't have a very long career of interpreting behind me, but still I have been in the booth several times now, and here are some thoughts about the question.

You wrote that it was a simultaneous job, so I guess that there will be booths on site, and usually when there are interpreting booths there is also a budget for conference interpreting, so I would be suprised if your client really couldn't afford having a second interpreter.
I don't know if a lot of interpreters work alone in the booth, but officially at least it is considered as extremely poor working conditions, and therefore shouldn't be accepted.

As a matter of fact, when you're interpeting simultaneously, your attention and concentration inevitably sinks after about 30 minutes (sometimes 20, sometimes a bit more, depending on the complexity of the topic and the pace of the speeches). Thus, you will let more and more sentences unfinished, make language mistakes etc. , and in extreme cases, you will lose your nerves because your brain just can't take any more effort. This is why there must be two interpreters, so that there can be a change after 20-30 minutes.

Plus, depending on who you work with, the booth partner can be very helpful if you are stuck at some point, or if you haven't heard something well. Some nice colleagues can write numbers or names down for you while you're interpreting, or you can ask them for help while pressing the mute button. Of course, you'll do the same for them when it will be their turn.

But maybe this is more the case with "beginners", who want to give their best and keep paying great attention to what's happening in the conference even if it is their colleague who's interpreting now. I'm not aware of the general tendency in "booth behaviours", so you'd better not expect too much. It is probably best to agree on the working method and repartition with the colleague before it starts.

By the way, 8 hours of simultaneous a day can be quite exhausting, even with 2 interpreters working, so I can't even imagine how it feels when you're alone and work twice as much. In my opinion, the only way to keep working efficiently would be to force your client to give you a 15 minutes break (minimum) every 30 minutes of interpreting, plus a longer break in the middle of the day, but I've never tried it out. Your client needs to understand that poor working conditions = poor quality of service, so it is in his interest to hire 2 interpreters in each booth.

Hope this helped you in your dilemma, I would as well be happy to hear the wise thoughts of others about this question.

P.S.: if you have any other questions you think I can answer (or if you decide to ask for a second interpreter en > fr), feel free to contact me, I'm based in France as well .
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips on Getting back into interpreting after a long period as a translator

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »