Giulia Faraguna
Giulia Faraguna  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 02:21
angol - spanyol
+ ...
May 28, 2010

Hello

a customer offers me full time interpreting, 7 days a month, 12 hour x day from english to spanish;
The job will be one month and a half and he offers 145€ a month plus accomodation and meals, including VAT; it will make 6.090€ net including VAT.

I have some experience in conference interpreting, I am starting as a professional. Normally I charge much more per hour, it is a good price?

Regards

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 01:21
flamand - angol
+ ...
Calculation. May 28, 2010

Giulietti wrote:

Hello

a customer offers me full time interpreting, 7 days a month, 12 hour x day from english to spanish;
The job will be one month and a half and he offers 145€ a month plus accomodation and meals, including VAT; it will make 6.090€ net including VAT.

I have some experience in conference interpreting, I am starting as a professional. Normally I charge much more per hour, it is a good price?

Regards

Don't know how you calculate.
Net including VAT is not net.
Is it 7 days a month or per week?
Count a miminum of €50 per hour x 12 hours x 7 (days/per month?)x VAT and doesn't Spain have something like IPFRS. 12 hours per day alone? This is not €6.090 net including VAT.
I still have to meet an interpreter, who can interpret 12 consecutive hours.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:21
Tag (2007 óta)
angol - spanyol
+ ...

MODERÁTOR
Interpreting 12 hours a day May 28, 2010

Williamson wrote:

I completely agree.

I've been interpreting since 1992 and I can safely say that it's not easy to interpret 12 hours a day, let alone do it for 1.5 months in a row.

No matter the price, just be sure that you don't get yourself into a tight spot.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 00:49 GMT]

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Good Luck May 29, 2010

Laureana Pavon wrote:

Williamson wrote:

I completely agree.

I've been interpreting since 1992 and I can safely say that it's not easy to interpret 12 hours a day, let alone do it for 1.5 months in a row.

No matter the price, just be sure that you don't get yourself into a tight spot.

[Edited at 2010-05-29 00:49 GMT]

I would not say that "it is not easy to interpret 12 hours a day", I would say that it is IMPOSSIBLE. And if you don't just believe my words, try an experiment with for instance some documentaries (you'll need about 6 of them in order to cover the 12 hours) and see how you make it interpreting them. I bet you won't make it after the second one.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 01:21
flamand - angol
+ ...
Overnight interpreter? May 29, 2010

"I have had some experience":
Without a formal training in conference interpreting, chances are that you fail. Those who had one, usually passed entrance exams, went to a grilling experience of training and get out of the school ready for the market (most of them). They have been taught that there are at least 2 people in a booth, who alternately interpret about 20-25 minutes.

If you mean 12 hours, 7 days a week 4 weeks per month. Nobody can do that.

Now back to
... See more
"I have had some experience":
Without a formal training in conference interpreting, chances are that you fail. Those who had one, usually passed entrance exams, went to a grilling experience of training and get out of the school ready for the market (most of them). They have been taught that there are at least 2 people in a booth, who alternately interpret about 20-25 minutes.

If you mean 12 hours, 7 days a week 4 weeks per month. Nobody can do that.

Now back to the transcription of a class given by a high-speed rattler. If you get one of those 12 hours, 7 days and 4 week, my condolences to your relatives.
Collapse

Giulia Faraguna
Giulia Faraguna  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 02:21
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
thank you May 29, 2010

Thank you for your advices, I won't accept the job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting quotation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »