Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:41
English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2003

Hi there,

Yesterday, I wanted to show off the site to a few of my colleagues at the University who were not familiar with it.

I typed in the site address on their office computer and got a very different page than what I am used to viewing. The colours were different and while the Home | Kudoz | Jobs | etc line was there, no drop down menus appeared when I moved the mouse over them.

What could be wrong? Their browser settings? Version incompatibilities?<
... See more
Hi there,

Yesterday, I wanted to show off the site to a few of my colleagues at the University who were not familiar with it.

I typed in the site address on their office computer and got a very different page than what I am used to viewing. The colours were different and while the Home | Kudoz | Jobs | etc line was there, no drop down menus appeared when I moved the mouse over them.

What could be wrong? Their browser settings? Version incompatibilities?

I am worried that many potential "customers" discovering the site, and having the same problem, would be put off by the rather static and uncooperative page that is offered if the drop down menus are excluded from the equation.

If there is something simple that a user could do to view the page properly shouldn't there be a note on the page saying something like: "If you pass your mouse over these options and a drop down menu does not appear you need to do XXXX".

Awaiting enlightenment,

Cheers,

Berni
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I've noticed the same problem, but only in Netscape... Dec 5, 2003

... and not in Explorer.

Accessing the site next time via Explorer should do the trick.

Ciao,
C

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Old design? Dec 5, 2003

Maybe it was the old design, which had different colors and no drop-down menus. At the left top of the page you can "revert to new/old design" of the site.
HTH,
Sylvain

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Browser? (Linux, KDE Konqueror?) Dec 5, 2003

Hi Berni,

I might be wrong, but when I use Konqueror (browser under Linux KDE), dropdown menus are not working and the site is displayed with slightly "different" colours (included very nice 3D buttons), but it has to do with the browser and local system settings. I know that also Galeon should have the same display problem (I haven't tried it yet).

Try with another browser (for ex. Mozilla 1.4 under Linux).

Giuliana

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 06:41
Norwegian to English
What drop-down menus? Dec 5, 2003

I don't understand. I have never seen a drop-down menu on the ProZ Web site. Does this mean that I am one of the underprivileged people who only see what Berni refers to as "the rather static and uncooperative page that is offered if the drop down menus are excluded from the equation"? In that case, what have I been missing, and how can I remedy this situation? Could somebody enlighten me?

I usually use Internet Explorer 6, but out of curiosity, I just opened the web site using Nets
... See more
I don't understand. I have never seen a drop-down menu on the ProZ Web site. Does this mean that I am one of the underprivileged people who only see what Berni refers to as "the rather static and uncooperative page that is offered if the drop down menus are excluded from the equation"? In that case, what have I been missing, and how can I remedy this situation? Could somebody enlighten me?

I usually use Internet Explorer 6, but out of curiosity, I just opened the web site using Netscape and see no differences.

Cheers,
Geoff
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You should see dropdowns in IE 6.0 Dec 5, 2003

Hi Geoffrey,

I usually use Internet Explorer 6, but out of curiosity, I just opened the web site using Netscape and see no differences.

When I use IE 6.0, dropdown menus are displayed. Set the mouse on Home - KudoZ - Jobs - Directory - Community - Tools - My ProZ.com - About - Support (new design, upper right side, any page of the site apart from profile pages, if I remember well), the pointer should turn into a little hand and you should see a dropdown menu per each area.

Giuliana

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Javascript-related? Dec 5, 2003

If you look at the site HTML code, you'll see that the dropdown menus are run via javascript and cascading style sheets:

Have a look here too:
http://www.proz.com/css/dropdown.js
(background color seems to be set here also)

I'm guessing that could be the reason for the difference. When I use Netscape and have Javascript off, I get no dropdowns; with it on,
... See more
If you look at the site HTML code, you'll see that the dropdown menus are run via javascript and cascading style sheets:

Have a look here too:
http://www.proz.com/css/dropdown.js
(background color seems to be set here also)

I'm guessing that could be the reason for the difference. When I use Netscape and have Javascript off, I get no dropdowns; with it on, everything works fine.
Collapse

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:41
Spanish to English
Sylvain is right - switching between formats Dec 5, 2003

You do have the option to view the website in the old format (which I prefer), or view it with the drop-down menus. On the very top left corner under the PROZ logo there is a link that allows you to switch back and forward.

I think it is a nice feature that you are given the choice to view the page in the format that you are most comfortable with.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which design are you using? Dec 5, 2003

Hi Geoffrey,
Geoffrey Barrow wrote:

I don't understand. I have never seen a drop-down menu on the ProZ Web site.

Sounds as if you're using the old ProZ.com design, in which case the link right underneath the ProZ logo (top left) should read "Switch to new design".

Can you confirm?

Best regards, Ralf

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 06:41
Norwegian to English
Found the drop-down menus Dec 5, 2003

OK, I found them now. I was under the impression I was using the new format. In fact I know I selected it some days ago, but for some reason or other my settings seem to have reverted to the old style for no apparent reason. Just another example of how these damned machines live their own lives and do as they please, I guess. Does anybody else long to be able to return to the days when computers behaved in a more or less predictable manner which was at least loosely related to the input data?... See more
OK, I found them now. I was under the impression I was using the new format. In fact I know I selected it some days ago, but for some reason or other my settings seem to have reverted to the old style for no apparent reason. Just another example of how these damned machines live their own lives and do as they please, I guess. Does anybody else long to be able to return to the days when computers behaved in a more or less predictable manner which was at least loosely related to the input data?

Geoff
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Happened to me too. Dec 6, 2003

I had noticed the absence of the dropdown menus for about the past week, but seeing all the headings listed down the left-hand side, I thought it was just some innovation I hadn't been told about. But I now see that mine too had reverted to the old design of its own accord. I have now gone back to the new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why No Drop Down Menus?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »