Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:20
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Feb 26, 2012

Dear colleagues,

it may sound strange, but for some reasons I would like to translate my current Studio 2009 project in DV (i.e. because of the much more better termbank functionality of DV). Creating a DV project, importing, opening and translating the relevant sdlxliff files is not a problem, but after exporting the translated files from DV into the Studio source file (en-GB) I can´t open them to check and then to create the requested format (.mif).
Of course I could export
... See more
Dear colleagues,

it may sound strange, but for some reasons I would like to translate my current Studio 2009 project in DV (i.e. because of the much more better termbank functionality of DV). Creating a DV project, importing, opening and translating the relevant sdlxliff files is not a problem, but after exporting the translated files from DV into the Studio source file (en-GB) I can´t open them to check and then to create the requested format (.mif).
Of course I could export the DV TM into the Studio TM, but after doing this a lot of fine tuning has to be done, i.e. some sections are split whereas others weren´t, relevant tags are missing etc.
Does anybody has created a smoother workflow to get better results than I did? What did I make wrong with my first attempt (sdlxliff back into Studio project) and how could I improve the second one (via TM)?
Thanks for your assistance,

best regards,

Matthias
Collapse

Krzysztof Kłonica
Krzysztof Kłonica  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Try the dejavu-I technical group at yahoo Feb 26, 2012

Hi Matthias,

I do not know the exact answer to your question, but I read some discussions about your problem at the yahoo group. I found this http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/113926
I believe you might find it helpful.

Regards,
Chris

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:20
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
What about working the .mif files directly in DVX or DVX2? Feb 27, 2012

As you indicated that .mif is the requested format, why don't go straight to process them in DVX. You already have the TM and don't even need to have FrameMaker in your PC!

Saludos

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They want back the sdlxliff... Feb 27, 2012

...dear Jorge, and not the .mif, that´s my problem. I exported back the .mif from Studio and indeed I could translate them directly, but they want back the Studio project together with their TM fitting 100% to their sdlxliff files. But thank you anyway for answering!

Freundliche Grüße,

Matthias

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DVX technical group at Yahoo Feb 27, 2012

Hi Chris,

thanks, I will try to read the recommended posting when there is time. Maybe any other person who could give me a quick answer on my topic (if there is any)? Thanks!

Best regards,

Matthias

Bernard Lieber
Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Quite Simple Feb 27, 2012

Create a new project in DVX2 and import the sdlxliff files.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that simple ;-) Feb 27, 2012

...sorry, but you didn´t get my point:
after translating those sdlxliffs in a DV project I cannot open them in Studio (after having replaced them in the relevant Studio folder) to feed the TM and to deliver their Studio project back as they want to...

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Export Feb 27, 2012

Export your sdlxliff files into a separate folder and click on the file, I assume you have Studio 2009/11, I've done it under 2011 and it works when double clicking on the file your prompted for a language pair and database. You also need the source .mif if you want to export your translation.

Which sdlxliff files did you import into DVX2?

HTH

[Edited at 2012-02-27 09:12 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export Feb 27, 2012

Hi Bernard,

thank you for your quick reply! I tried to open one of my recently finished sdlxliff files exported into a separate folder as proposed, but Studio 2009 just opens it with dozends of error messages as it did when I copied those files directly into the standard folder to open them within the Studio project.
Your last question: I took the sdlxliffs for my DV project from the standard folder "en-GB". Yes, I also know how to create .mifs, but they weren´t delivered an
... See more
Hi Bernard,

thank you for your quick reply! I tried to open one of my recently finished sdlxliff files exported into a separate folder as proposed, but Studio 2009 just opens it with dozends of error messages as it did when I copied those files directly into the standard folder to open them within the Studio project.
Your last question: I took the sdlxliffs for my DV project from the standard folder "en-GB". Yes, I also know how to create .mifs, but they weren´t delivered and I do not have to deliver .mif´s.
I just would like to send back the Studio project as if I had translated everything in Studio (so my agency requires it).

Best regards,

Matthias
Collapse

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Eng-Ger Folder Feb 27, 2012

I always take the sldxliff file not from the source but from the language pair folder, may be that's what's going wrong - give it a try

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Folders Feb 27, 2012

Hi Bernard,

the project just contains two folders containing source (and future target) files:
de-DE and en-GB, I think I already have tried both, but I will try again next time. Why don´t all those CAT tools don´t lead us to the tasks we are supposed to do: translating?

Regards,

Matthias

Bernard Lieber
English to French
+ ...
Studio 2009 Feb 27, 2012

Hi Mathias,

You're right but I always take the fr-FR files and it does work, if you want, send me a de-DE file and I'll see what I can do.

Bernard

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:20
English to Japanese
+ ...
a couple of exercises Feb 27, 2012

Hi Matthias,

I have done this a lot and yes, like your case there are hick-ups occasionally where the Studio refuses to open the file exported back to SDLXliff, giving you a bunch of error messages.

The easiest route is to start over, if you haven't tried yet, as Bernard suggested (but you don't have to create a new project, just create a new folder and import the same files under it.) Then, have the DVX pre-translate one of the files (I don't want you to spend more ti
... See more
Hi Matthias,

I have done this a lot and yes, like your case there are hick-ups occasionally where the Studio refuses to open the file exported back to SDLXliff, giving you a bunch of error messages.

The easiest route is to start over, if you haven't tried yet, as Bernard suggested (but you don't have to create a new project, just create a new folder and import the same files under it.) Then, have the DVX pre-translate one of the files (I don't want you to spend more time than you should!). Do as little intervention as possible; do not join, split, or move the codes around, don't remove/add codes). The purpose is to make sure you can open the files back in the Studio. You can always fix minor errors later either in the Studio once, or you can go back to the DVX and finish your work.

If the file does not open, clear all translation and run the pseudo-translate command and check to see if the Studio can open the file. Indeed, you can do this exercise before the above procedure if you are suspicious with the file itself. I do this once in a while with files with many codes (Word doc, ttx, sdlxliff), because sometimes with no obvious reasons the import process leaves out some codes.

I'm sure the folks over at the yahoo group will give you more advice and information. I always tick the Prevent segmentation option before importing sdlxliff files, and never join the segments, but I don't know if this is necessary. If I desperately need to join segments, I do so in the Studio (either manually or by changing the segmentation rules) and import the file. Also as a side note, the Studio 2009 handles mif files properly up to Version 9.0, but not 10. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm so positive that you will succeed. Just be patient!

Rie
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strike! Feb 27, 2012

Thank you all, Bernard and Rie, finally I succeeded! I just have taken the wrong folder in the Studio project to import the files into DV from, but now everything is fine and it works. Hope this group topic will assist other proz members as well!

Best regards,

Matthias

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Epilogue Mar 2, 2012

Great, customer has received the Studio project back without noticing that the sdlxliff files were translated with DVX2.
One or two more notes for others who also plan to translate those sdlxliff files:
When having translated the (right) files, make first an export of your DV TM and feed the Studio TM(s) with it. When afterwards opening the sdlxliff files, they won´t be re-translated by possible any older pre-translations / matches in the Studio TM. Or just open to check (if already
... See more
Great, customer has received the Studio project back without noticing that the sdlxliff files were translated with DVX2.
One or two more notes for others who also plan to translate those sdlxliff files:
When having translated the (right) files, make first an export of your DV TM and feed the Studio TM(s) with it. When afterwards opening the sdlxliff files, they won´t be re-translated by possible any older pre-translations / matches in the Studio TM. Or just open to check (if already properly checked in DV) and to close immediately, ticking that all sections will be regarded as checked when closing the file. Any other errors / neglections will be shown when reconverting the files into source format (mostly code related).
Best regards,

Matthias
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a Studio project (sdlxliff-files) in DVX2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »