Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Would you accept this kind of "collaboration"?
Thread poster: Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Say you, Say me Jul 25, 2003

做口译是,对不称职的翻译我们会说,看这位Say you, Say me了。

每字0.02-0.03美元的价格大家觉得低,我想大家是在谈在PROZ.COM上面的发标价。如果在国内能有客户给谁这样价格,谁不喜屁颠屁颠的。但是we're localising while globalising,这里很多人其实对不同的市场都有了相当的了解,而我们这样处在大陆的翻译能企求Project Managers接受美国市场的翻译价格吗?我很久没来这里�
... See more

每字0.02-0.03美元的价格大家觉得低,我想大家是在谈在PROZ.COM上面的发标价。如果在国内能有客户给谁这样价格,谁不喜屁颠屁颠的。但是we're localising while globalising,这里很多人其实对不同的市场都有了相当的了解,而我们这样处在大陆的翻译能企求Project Managers接受美国市场的翻译价格吗?我很久没来这里了,不知道这里发生了多大的变化。我是变化了一些。我会根据不同的客户不同的项目与客户调整价格。

当然,有的情况让你是无法接受,你必须拒绝。我曾经遇到的情况是自己在特定时间客户给的任务属于Mission Impossible。要求上的量超过了自己能够完成时,或者觉得在这种价格条件下做了太不值。不是因为自己太贪心,而是不想失去一个客户。其实这是很不成熟的想法。

至于谁的报价更为合理,客户对于不同情况当然会作出自己的选择。很多情况客户不会因为谁的价格低就使用谁,翻译所能做的是完善自己的服务。
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
感谢你,Yubing ! Jul 25, 2003

Yubing YANG wrote:

每字0.02-0.03美元的价格大家觉得低,我想大家是在谈在PROZ.COM上面的发标价。如果在国内能有客户给谁这样价格,谁不喜屁颠屁颠的。但是we're localising while globalising,这里很多人其实对不同的市场都有了相当的了解,而我们这样处在大陆的翻译能企求Project Managers接受美国市场的翻译价格吗?我很久没来这里了,不知道这里发生了多大的变化。我是变化了一些。我会根据不同的客户不同的项目与客户调整价格。

当然,有的情况让你是无法接受,你必须拒绝。我曾经遇到的情况是自己在特定时间客户给的任务属于Mission Impossible。要求上的量超过了自己能够完成时,或者觉得在这种价格条件下做了太不值。不是因为自己太贪心,而是不想失去一个客户。其实这是很不成熟的想法。

很高兴有你这样的国内同仁如此坦诚地参与交流、探讨。长期在国外,有时难以设身处地考虑问题。

Nice to know you,cheers!

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
感谢你如此坦诚 Jul 26, 2003

Yubing YANG wrote:

Hi Yubing,

感谢你如此坦诚的交流,探讨。长期在国外,对国内的内幕知之甚少,很难设身处地考虑问题。相信这样的交流能促进相互了解,有利於我们共同的事业。

[Edited at 2003-07-26 20:40]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Waiting for vetting and time difference Jul 26, 2003

chance wrote:

BTW:Hi Kevin,
I posted this once yesterday, but it is not showed, why?

chance,

This is because both of your messages were held by the system for vetting. I am in Pacific Time Zone. So I assume the time difference is another factor. Is that OK with you?

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-07-26 18:23]

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question on this "proposal" Jul 26, 2003

How many of you feel there is something unethical or "not quite right" about a translator holding him/herself out to be a native speaker when s/he is not? I mean, if you arrange someone to edit your translations, presumably the quality would be as good as if you yourself were a native speaker of the target language -- but is there any element of misrepresentation involved, do you think? Is it OK to do so? Is it OK to do so if you tell the client how you are proceeding? How many people would "exa... See more
How many of you feel there is something unethical or "not quite right" about a translator holding him/herself out to be a native speaker when s/he is not? I mean, if you arrange someone to edit your translations, presumably the quality would be as good as if you yourself were a native speaker of the target language -- but is there any element of misrepresentation involved, do you think? Is it OK to do so? Is it OK to do so if you tell the client how you are proceeding? How many people would "exaggerate" a bit on how closely you worked with the editor, maybe to make it sound like you could do that reliably and consistently on every job with no notice??

Just curious, seems like this opens up a grey area ethically, and I would suspect that there might be some differences of opinion on the matter.

For myself, I would not want to collaborate in this way for another reason: it is taking bread out of the mouth of a native-speaking translator, and coincidentally, most of those who are native English speakers do not do the same to native Chinese speaking translators (i.e. most "lao wai" don't go into Chinese and then have somebody "fix" it for them so they can get the job which would have gone to a native Chinese speaker, at least as far as I know.)

What do y'all think??
Collapse

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我们真的需要坦城 Jul 26, 2003

很高兴与CHANCE这样的海外华人交流。多谢您给我表扬,不过您太谦虚了,您在国内呆了30年,在法国呆了10多年,这样您对于国内情况估计了解得不比我少。我今年才30岁。在国内老听说中国人喜欢窝里斗,我想很多情况都是不能坦城交流。希望我们在PROZ.COM中国论坛里创立一个好的国际形象,建成最活跃的社区。

另外,您和KEVIN谈的时间问题,我想这容易理解,我们�
... See more
很高兴与CHANCE这样的海外华人交流。多谢您给我表扬,不过您太谦虚了,您在国内呆了30年,在法国呆了10多年,这样您对于国内情况估计了解得不比我少。我今年才30岁。在国内老听说中国人喜欢窝里斗,我想很多情况都是不能坦城交流。希望我们在PROZ.COM中国论坛里创立一个好的国际形象,建成最活跃的社区。

另外,您和KEVIN谈的时间问题,我想这容易理解,我们国内现在人对时区概念都熟悉多了,不象前几年,这只是给你参考一下。

希望您能象那首歌唱的那样,常回家看看。
chance wrote:

感谢你如此坦诚的交流,探讨。长期在国外,对国内的内幕知之甚少,很难设身处地考虑问题。相信这样的交流能促进相互了解,有利於我们共同的事业。

BTW:Hi Kevin,
I posted this once yesterday, but it is not showed, why?

[Edited at 2003-07-26 20:17]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, Kevin, for your attention Jul 26, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

chance,

This is because both of your messages were held by the system for vetting. I am in Pacific Time Zone. So I assume the time difference is another factor. Is that OK with you?

Kevin

[Edited at 2003-07-26 18:23]

Hi Kevin,

I see and I understand that I have to be patient because of the time difference. But this time, I found the message posted after me is shown before mine� That is why came the question. But it is not a really serious problem.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:24
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It is on a random basis. Jul 26, 2003

chance wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I see and I understand that I have to be patient because of the time difference. But this time, I found the message posted after me is shown before mine� That is why came the question. But it is not a really serious problem.

chance,

The System is designed to select messages posted for vetting procedure. It does not apply to all the messages all the times. It is on a random basis.

Kevin

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Yubing, 你好! Jul 27, 2003

论坛里还是以"你"相称,亲切自然。
否则也显得我太老啦!

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
I wonder Jul 27, 2003

Kevin Yang wrote:

chance,

The System is designed to select messages posted for vetting procedure. It does not apply to all the messages all the times. It is on a random basis.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your explanation! But I wonder why the system should be designed on a random basis. Forum message timing is as important as Kudoz answer time order, is it not? I think FIFO (First In First Out) fits better. Maybe I should speak to Henry ?

[Edited at 2003-07-28 13:06]

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feel easier now under difficult wheather here in Nanjing Jul 27, 2003

chance wrote:

论坛里还是以"你"相称,亲切自然。
否则也显得我太老啦!

Chance,南京这两天天气闷热难奈,和你片刻交流顿时感觉如喝了冰镇可乐,眼前想象你翩翩公子形象:-)

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
路遥识真人 Jul 27, 2003

Yubing YANG wrote:

别着急,PROZ成员中的真正翩翩公子,翩翩小姐都不少,还有见义勇为的大侠,随着时间你会渐渐了解的!

与你那里相反,我们这里才22C°,气候宜人。法国大部分人都在看环法自行车大赛的最后冲刺。我深深地敬佩Lance Armstrong,到不是因为他得了冠军,而是他掌握自己,掌握命运的气概,荣誉面前头脑清醒,不自以为是,仍保持谦虚,坦诚待人的博大胸怀和淳朴的人情!今年的冠军他拿得艰难,我以为他会放弃明年的大赛,没想到他说他明年还回来!即便他不拿冠军,还是他最棒!

什么时候中国队也来参赛?

[Edited at 2003-07-27 18:42]

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我就是个学生,没有别的 Jul 27, 2003

CHANCE,我真诚愿意学习,我是学生。我没有客气,我曾经做了数年翻译,但是我现在身份是学习。我愿意学习品格高尚的前辈。我现在并没有去急着干什么事情,我愿意等待。
chance wrote:

Yubing YANG wrote:

别着急,PROZ成员中的真正翩翩公子,翩翩小姐都不少,还有见义勇为的大侠,随着时间你会渐渐了解的!

与你那里相反,我们这里才22C°,气候宜人。法国大部分人都在看环法自行车大赛的最后冲刺。我深深地敬佩Lance Armstrong,到不是因为他得了冠军,而是他掌握自己,掌握命运的气概,荣誉面前头脑清醒,不自以为是,仍保持谦虚,坦诚待人的博大胸怀和淳朴的人情!今年的冠军他拿得艰难,我以为他会放弃明年的大赛,没想到他说他明年还回来!即便他不拿冠军,还是他最棒!

什么时候中国队也来参赛?

[Edited at 2003-07-27 18:42]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
我爱开玩笑,你不必太认真。就是着急,也不是坏事。 Jul 27, 2003

Yubing YANG wrote:

CHANCE,我真诚愿意学习,我是学生。我没有客气,我曾经做了数年翻译,但是我现在身份是学习。我愿意学习品格高尚的前辈。我现在并没有去急着干什么事情,我愿意等待。

Hi Yubing,

你继续学习语言,翻译专业?如是,在PROZ还是很有意义的。

不过,如果学翻译,可别当BILL的学生!:-)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you accept this kind of "collaboration"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »