Off topic: How much do you hate dealing with idiomatic nomenclatural terms in your translation work?
投稿者: Neamaat Shehatah
Neamaat Shehatah
Neamaat Shehatah
エジプト
Local time: 16:22
英語 から アラビア語
+ ...
Feb 26, 2008

Do you find it difficult to deal with idiomatic nomenclatural terms or you just feel free to transliterate them and use them as they are in your written and spoken language as well?
Although transliteration is a good, easy and fast option, I sometimes feel not satisfied at all to insert such terms in our language to end up with many borrowed words. Do you think this may cause our beloved language to lose its identity?
... See more
Do you find it difficult to deal with idiomatic nomenclatural terms or you just feel free to transliterate them and use them as they are in your written and spoken language as well?
Although transliteration is a good, easy and fast option, I sometimes feel not satisfied at all to insert such terms in our language to end up with many borrowed words. Do you think this may cause our beloved language to lose its identity?

Oh! I forgot to aske, what is your list of terms of such kind that you hate to use, if there's any?
Collapse

randam
randam  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
英語 から アラビア語
+ ...
Transliteration is sometimes the only way. Feb 26, 2008

Hervana,
Sometimes transliteration is the only way. Languages do evolve and borrow from other languages.
English owes its popularity to it's flexibility, and extensive borrowing from other languages and cultures. Can you imagine the difficulties involved, if we had to coin new words for : kimono, sauna or sushi to name but a few?

Personally I find Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), somewhat inflexible, and its problems are exacerbated by the existence of functional dialects
... See more
Hervana,
Sometimes transliteration is the only way. Languages do evolve and borrow from other languages.
English owes its popularity to it's flexibility, and extensive borrowing from other languages and cultures. Can you imagine the difficulties involved, if we had to coin new words for : kimono, sauna or sushi to name but a few?

Personally I find Modern Standard Arabic (MSA), somewhat inflexible, and its problems are exacerbated by the existence of functional dialects, which are in fact the REAL mother tongues of Arabic speakers. In many cases the spoken dialect has terminology, and borrowed nomenclature for almost everything. The MSA, however, remains lagging behind. The Arabic translator is left with a difficult choice: Transliterate and feel like a traitor to the mother tongue; use the common term and be lambasted by lovers of the classical, or go the long and lonely road of trying to re-invent the wheel. The latter is the most difficult and time-consuming. It is almost impossible to coin a universally acceptable term, where the whole language community has drawn a blank. This a job for dedicated terminologists, not a lone translator who needs to deliver pages and pages of text within a tight deadline.
Collapse

Ikra
Ikra
Local time: 15:22
英語 から アラビア語
+ ...
I do agree Mar 10, 2008

Randa Moukayed wrote:

Hervana,
This a job for dedicated terminologists, not a lone translator who needs to deliver pages and pages of text within a tight deadline.

I completely agree with you havana, though obviously we have the obligation to look for the most suitable terminology, terminolgists have the job to make the language evolve!

Arabic is such a rich language, unfortunately many words ended forgotten and unused maybe we could find new use to these words and thus a new life.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Abdallah Ali[Call to this topic]
Murad AWAD[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do you hate dealing with idiomatic nomenclatural terms in your translation work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »