Thread poster: Elena Teuffer (X)
Elena Teuffer (X)
Elena Teuffer (X)
Local time: 13:57
Icelandic to German
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

Dear Collegues,

I recently bought a new laptop, relicensed WF, set up Word 2003 student's and teacher's edition and a german spell and grammar checker. As I'm translating into german, my german spell checker seems to be active after each sentence I write and use Alt+down for proceeding to the next TU. Since I began working with my new laptop, I experience that
a) Word needs a very long time to check each sentence (TU), before presenting the next sentence and
b) Word's
... See more
Dear Collegues,

I recently bought a new laptop, relicensed WF, set up Word 2003 student's and teacher's edition and a german spell and grammar checker. As I'm translating into german, my german spell checker seems to be active after each sentence I write and use Alt+down for proceeding to the next TU. Since I began working with my new laptop, I experience that
a) Word needs a very long time to check each sentence (TU), before presenting the next sentence and
b) Word's CPU in the task manager is unusually high.
The solution seems to be that I have to go for each sentence to
Extras> Language> Language settings> click german> check the box "don't check spelling and grammar".
Has someone the same problem? Or has an idea how to fix this problem, because it's extremely annoying to wait sometimes up to some minutes after each sentence.

Thank you in advance for good hints!

Greetings from Iceland,
Elena
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:57
English to Polish
+ ...
May I join the thread? Mar 16, 2007

I have the same version of Word (2003, S/T ed.), localised for Polish, and WF simply disables the menu completely. I feel lucky I kept the older version of Word where no such problems occur.
As to the spellchecking, do you have both spell check AND grammar check enabled? I had similar problems while starting to use WF two years ago, but they disappeared when I disabled the grammar check. Seemed too many fish in one kettle for Word ...

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:57
Spanish to English
I am having a similar problem Nov 15, 2007

Every time I click for the next segment, it spell checks the entire document. I have tried to go to QC to change the settings and stop it from doing this, but it doesn't seem to work, so I must be doing something wrong. If you managed to solve your problem, could you share please? Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell checking in Word 2003 troubles WF

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »