Replicating changes made to a segment
Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
French to English
Oct 17, 2005

I'm just trying to get to grips with the free downloaded version 5.0.

I'm playing with a very short test document, 5 segments. Only one TM involved.

I have a segment, "XXX", translated into into "YYY", which occurs twice. And yes, during the initial translation, it spotted the 2nd occurrence of "XXX" and translated it into "YYY". I ended and closed, but didn't clean. So far, so good.

I reopened the document and changed the first translation of "XXX" into "A
... See more
I'm just trying to get to grips with the free downloaded version 5.0.

I'm playing with a very short test document, 5 segments. Only one TM involved.

I have a segment, "XXX", translated into into "YYY", which occurs twice. And yes, during the initial translation, it spotted the 2nd occurrence of "XXX" and translated it into "YYY". I ended and closed, but didn't clean. So far, so good.

I reopened the document and changed the first translation of "XXX" into "AAA".

What I was then hoping for was some kind of indication on the 2nd occurrence of "XXX" that "YYY" may no longer be what I want, and for Wordfast to either automatically change YYY to AAA, or at least suggest that AAA is probably what I want.

But I couldn't see a way to make this happen. Does WF do this, in any way?

As a further test, I then created another test document, consisting only of the segment XXX. I've looked in the TM, and there are 2 entries for XXX, the first one, YYY and the second one, AAA. However, Wordfast suggested only YYY as a match. Does Wordfast not indicate that I have 2 options as a translation of XXX?

I note that the WF menu has options for NextMatch and PreviousMatch, but nothing seemed to happen... I suspect I may be missing something obvious (since surely Wordfast must deal with this situation somehow), but I've searched this forum for 'copy' and 'replicate' and 'duplicate', and ditto on yahoo, to no avail. Any help gratefully received,
Thanks,
Charlie
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try AndoTools Oct 18, 2005

Charlie Bavington wrote:
What I was then hoping for was some kind of indication on the 2nd occurrence of "XXX" that "YYY" may no longer be what I want, and for Wordfast to either automatically change YYY to AAA, or at least suggest that AAA is probably what I want.

OmegaT works this way. It assumes that all occurances of ABC would always be translated the same way, so if you change it in one place, the program automatically changes it everywhere.

Wordfast doesn't work this way (which is why I prefer Wordfast over OmegaT for most jobs). If you want Wordfast to make such sweeping changes, you'd have to edit the TM, and retranslate the document (possibly using "autotranslate while 100%").

AFAIK AndoTools has a feature in which you can QC the entire TM against a glossary to ensure that such sweeping changes are made throughout the project.

I've looked in the TM, and there are 2 entries for XXX, the first one, YYY and the second one, AAA. However, Wordfast suggested only YYY as a match. Does Wordfast not indicate that I have 2 options as a translation of XXX?

I'll ask on the Yahoogroup about this... it is annoying, yes. On my computer, Alt+leftarrow and Alt+rightarrow does the trick, but it only moves on to matches with a lesser percentage and does not cycle through a list of 100% matches as it should.

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast group Oct 18, 2005

Hi, Charlie.

No doubt you'll get an answer in this site (sorry, I don't know the answer to your question), but as a Wordfast user I recommend you to visit the Wordfast group site,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

There you can find a lot of information and make questions as well.

Best regards.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:39
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Seems you can't Oct 18, 2005

but as a Wordfast user I recommend you to visit the Wordfast group site,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

There you can find a lot of information and make questions as well.

That was what I meant when I said "ditto on yahoo"

However, after Samuel kindly posted the Q on there for me, it would appear that the answer is basically "no", WF doesn't do this for you.... Thanks, Samuel, for replying and asking and generally getting the suspicion confirmed.

[Edited at 2005-10-18 14:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Replicating changes made to a segment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »