Why a difference of KudoZ between new and old profile?
Téma indítója: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:51
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - német
+ ...
Jun 19, 2007

I think it is due to the distinction between answers to "PRO" and "Non PRO" questions; the KudoZ for NON-PROs have been counted in the old profile but aren't any more in the new one.

But: the number of answers remains the same in both types of profiles, whilst the number of points differs. I have for example 4.560 in the old profile and 4.065 in the new one, so approx. 10% less. If I am right with my assumption, I don't quite understand why the answers to "Non PRO" questions continu
... See more
I think it is due to the distinction between answers to "PRO" and "Non PRO" questions; the KudoZ for NON-PROs have been counted in the old profile but aren't any more in the new one.

But: the number of answers remains the same in both types of profiles, whilst the number of points differs. I have for example 4.560 in the old profile and 4.065 in the new one, so approx. 10% less. If I am right with my assumption, I don't quite understand why the answers to "Non PRO" questions continue to be counted but not the points. Wouldn't it be more logical to count both then, numbers of answers and points? I don't much care about the numbers itself, but it makes a little difference when it comes to calculate the reliability rate...
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:51
WEBOLDAL ALAPÍTÓJA
Good suggestion Jun 19, 2007

Thanks, Christel. This would make sense.

Christel Zipfel
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you Henry for your quick reply! Jun 20, 2007

Henry D wrote:

Thanks, Christel. This would make sense.

Andrew
Andrew
Egyesült Államok
angol
Points and answer counts should now relate correctly Jun 20, 2007

Dear Christel,

We've filtered out the 'Non PRO' questions so the numbers should now accurately portray the reliability rate you mentioned.

Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Best regards,
Andrew

Christel Zipfel
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Great, Andrew! Jun 20, 2007

Andrew wrote:

Dear Christel,

We've filtered out the 'Non PRO' questions so the numbers should now accurately portray the reliability rate you mentioned.

Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Best regards,
Andrew

Thank, you, it looks quite different now! I meant to post this quite earlier - I am surprised I am apparently the only one who noticed this discrepancy:-)

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexikó
Local time: 13:51
német - angol
Reliability ratio Jun 20, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:

I don't much care about the numbers itself, but it makes a little difference when it comes to calculate the reliability rate...

Hi Christel - I'm hopeless at math. Can you tell us how you calculate your reliability ratio using points earned and questions answered?

Kim

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 20:51
Tag (2006 óta)
angol - lengyel
+ ...
A WEBOLDALAT LOKALIZÁLÓ FORDÍTÓ
I don't know how Christel does it Jun 20, 2007

But I think that it is rather easy. Maximum amount of Kudoz you can get per 100 answers is 400, someone who achieves it must be a genius living in a perfect world.

The smaller amount of points per 100 answers the most likely is that someone just gives unresearched answers paying little attention to their quality and hoping to get points from time to time just due to sheer amount of attempts.

I think that also meaningfull is relation between the amount of asked and answe
... See more
But I think that it is rather easy. Maximum amount of Kudoz you can get per 100 answers is 400, someone who achieves it must be a genius living in a perfect world.

The smaller amount of points per 100 answers the most likely is that someone just gives unresearched answers paying little attention to their quality and hoping to get points from time to time just due to sheer amount of attempts.

I think that also meaningfull is relation between the amount of asked and answered questions - I am much more likely to trust a translator who answers at least as many questions as he asks than one who just keeps asking and does not bother to help others.

That's how I understand it.

Kind Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Tag (2004 óta)
olasz - német
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Reliability rate, this unknown entity Jun 21, 2007

I have asked in different forums throughout the years to introduce a feature like this and make it public. I think it's definitely much (!!) more meaningful than the amount of KudoZ itself which does not say anything about one's reliability.

So in the meantime, I calculate it myself. Nothing of scientific, and no complicated math, Kim...! You just take the number of KudoZ and divide it by the number of answers. That's it! The higher the number you get, the higher the reliability. Of
... See more
I have asked in different forums throughout the years to introduce a feature like this and make it public. I think it's definitely much (!!) more meaningful than the amount of KudoZ itself which does not say anything about one's reliability.

So in the meantime, I calculate it myself. Nothing of scientific, and no complicated math, Kim...! You just take the number of KudoZ and divide it by the number of answers. That's it! The higher the number you get, the higher the reliability. Of course, 4 would be the maximum, but this is not possible for obvious reasons or maybe only in case of a handful of answers that all have been accepted and got 4 points each.

It's still not a perfect solution, as this number tends to be lower in very crowded language pairs for example and vice versa, but anyway, I would judge someone with a Kudoz:answer relation near to 1 or even less anything else than "reliable". It's rather someone maybe with small knowledge that has nothing else to do trying to get as much points as possible at any cost.

And until this remains the only criterion on which ProZ bases it's "leader's list", such a behaviour will never change. It is unfair also for newcomers, as they will never have the chance to reach the top. If there were some list based on the realiability rate, they could as well.

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

I think that also meaningfull is relation between the amount of asked and answered questions - I am much more likely to trust a translator who answers at least as many questions as he asks than one who just keeps asking and does not bother to help others.

In my main LP, we have some persons that have asked far more than thousand questions and never given one only answer. We don't even know their real names (most of these profiles are perfectly empty) but we "know" them, of course. Rather than reliability, I think human and collegial aspects are affected here.

On the other hand, there are people always ready to jump on any question in any field with sometimes hilarious results and with a very low reliability rate of course, that never have posted any own question. I doubt nevertheless under these circumstances very much of the quality of their translations, if there are any. Are the latter ones to be considered more reliable since they only "answered", and never "asked" any question?

Of course these are extreme - but real - examples and I see your point, Stanislaw. There should be a good balance between asked and answered questions, you are quite right!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why a difference of KudoZ between new and old profile?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »