Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Local time: 03:38
Member (2003)
German to English
Jul 26, 2010

Hi,

One of my regular clients, who often sends PowerPoint files, asked me if I could translate a few more slides which were coming in on Friday. I said sure, no problem. However, when the "extra slides" arrived, the zip file didn't contain a simple PPT/PPTX file as normal, but a whole bunch of folders and subfolders all containing XML files..

Ok, I've translated XML files before, but via an agency, and with the .ini file supplied.

This time, however, I hav
... See more
Hi,

One of my regular clients, who often sends PowerPoint files, asked me if I could translate a few more slides which were coming in on Friday. I said sure, no problem. However, when the "extra slides" arrived, the zip file didn't contain a simple PPT/PPTX file as normal, but a whole bunch of folders and subfolders all containing XML files..

Ok, I've translated XML files before, but via an agency, and with the .ini file supplied.

This time, however, I have no clue what to do with the files. I've asked them to supply an .ini file or DTD file, but they haven't responded.

Some of the folders have names like _rels, docProps, embeddings, most with similarly named subfolders.

Any idea what to do with this project? Do all the XML files in the subfolders need translating or only the files in the folder called 'ppt'??

Thx for any help!
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:38
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
PPTX? Jul 26, 2010

Have you tried changing the name of zip file to PPTX? After all, PPTX is a zipped file with xml files inside...

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Jul 27, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Have you tried changing the name of zip file to PPTX? After all, PPTX is a zipped file with xml files inside...

Thanks Jabberwock, nice suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to change anything. I'm not really sure what XML does to be honest. I've translated PPT slides sent as XML before, but I was always sent the correct .ini file so I could translate them.

Does XML mean they can be used in a more dymanic application such as an online interactive program?

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Jul 27, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

Hi Jabberwock. Success! Although changing the file name didn't work as such, it gave me an idea. Right-clicking on the zip file and selecting 'PowerPoint' from the 'Open with...' menu actually worked!

No idea why the file was displayed as a zip file rather than a PowerPoint in the first place though, but thanks for alerting me to the fact that all PowerPoint 2007 files are in fact 'hidden' zip files...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:38
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
:) Jul 27, 2010

Clwydian wrote:

Hi Jabberwock. Success! Although changing the file name didn't work as such, it gave me an idea. Right-clicking on the zip file and selecting 'PowerPoint' from the 'Open with...' menu actually worked!

Great! I'm glad you had it sorted out, that trick is worth remembering, too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange XML project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »