Is there any way of recovering a previously saved file in MS Word?
Auteur du fil: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 21:03
suédois vers anglais
+ ...
Jul 21, 2010

Although this is about my son's homework, I have not marked is as off topic as a workable solution, if any, would be of use to translators.

Back story: my son sat up all night yesterday working on his paper and saved it before going to bed. Today he opened the file and has sadly enough hit Save before noticing that he's lost everything he did last night. As there was no power outage or similar, there doesn't appear to be any AutoSave.

When he told me, the first thing I
... See more
Although this is about my son's homework, I have not marked is as off topic as a workable solution, if any, would be of use to translators.

Back story: my son sat up all night yesterday working on his paper and saved it before going to bed. Today he opened the file and has sadly enough hit Save before noticing that he's lost everything he did last night. As there was no power outage or similar, there doesn't appear to be any AutoSave.

When he told me, the first thing I did was save the file he now has, lacking all of last nights work, with another name. He didn't have "Always create backup copy" ticked and AutoRecover doesn't appear to be of any use.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. The actual data has to be there somewhere on the hard drive.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 21:03
suédois vers anglais
+ ...
AUTEUR DU FIL
Found a solution Jul 21, 2010

As my son's OS is Windows 7, the MS KB articles I found were only of limited use. But using these as a basis and the Search option, and only filling in the first part of the file name (no file extension), I managed to find an AutoSave file (.asd) saved at 2.45 last night (no wonder he's asleep on the sofa when I get home in the evening).

As a Mac user, I'm pretty impressed by Windows 7.

Roberto Lipani
Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
italien vers anglais
+ ...
About word files Jul 21, 2010

Good evening,
I read the topic of the forum and maybe I can suggest a solution. You may either try and see if you can find the file under the item "Recent Files" or maybe, open ms word and expland the menu "File". Here you should see the last 4 files opened (so, 2 files with a similar name).
One thing I may suggest (and I always do this with important documents) is to save another copy of the file in a removable support (i.e. cdrom or usb/flash key).
Don't know if this may s
... See more
Good evening,
I read the topic of the forum and maybe I can suggest a solution. You may either try and see if you can find the file under the item "Recent Files" or maybe, open ms word and expland the menu "File". Here you should see the last 4 files opened (so, 2 files with a similar name).
One thing I may suggest (and I always do this with important documents) is to save another copy of the file in a removable support (i.e. cdrom or usb/flash key).
Don't know if this may solve the problem, but hope it can help

Best regards

Roberto
Collapse

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 16:03
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
And I, ... Jul 22, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

As my son's OS is Windows 7, the MS KB articles I found were only of limited use. But using these as a basis and the Search option, and only filling in the first part of the file name (no file extension), I managed to find an AutoSave file (.asd) saved at 2.45 last night (no wonder he's asleep on the sofa when I get home in the evening).

As a Mac user, I'm pretty impressed by Windows 7.

... as an XP user, am pretty impressed by what a self-confessed Mac-user has done with Windows 7 - apparently with very little help from M$.

Tell son-shine, from me, that he owes you a big kiss

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any way of recovering a previously saved file in MS Word?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »