Word very slow when editing a very long doc (320 pages, 50000 w)
Thread poster: Dan Butuza
Dan Butuza
Dan Butuza  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:46
English to Romanian
Jun 10, 2010

Maybe this happened to someone: I'm trying to translate a very long document in Word (320 pages, 50000 w) by overwriting or deleting the source text (yes! there still are clients who want to overwrite the source text!). The problem is that my Word XP is very slow when typing or deleting text like it's trying to repaginate every time an edit takes place. Please let me know if this if from Word or there are some features to help me with this. I read about switching the views (didn't help), so I do... See more
Maybe this happened to someone: I'm trying to translate a very long document in Word (320 pages, 50000 w) by overwriting or deleting the source text (yes! there still are clients who want to overwrite the source text!). The problem is that my Word XP is very slow when typing or deleting text like it's trying to repaginate every time an edit takes place. Please let me know if this if from Word or there are some features to help me with this. I read about switching the views (didn't help), so I don't have any other ideas (maybe a conversion back and forth for Trados, I don't know).
The docs has many images and textboxes, if that helps.
Anyone help me,
Dan
Collapse

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 19:46
Dutch to Albanian
+ ...
CAT Jun 10, 2010

I'd suggest to use Trados or another CAT tool which will give you the samel layout including images and all the rest.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Corrupt file Jun 10, 2010

Here's one thing that can really slow down Word to a crawl.

Somewhere in your system there should be a directory called "Microsoft User Data".

In that directory there should be a Word file called "Normal".

THis is the basic template file Word uses all the time. It can become corrupted.

Try trashing it. Don't worry about doing that, because Word will automatically create another one.

You may also find, in the same directory, a whole
... See more
Here's one thing that can really slow down Word to a crawl.

Somewhere in your system there should be a directory called "Microsoft User Data".

In that directory there should be a Word file called "Normal".

THis is the basic template file Word uses all the time. It can become corrupted.

Try trashing it. Don't worry about doing that, because Word will automatically create another one.

You may also find, in the same directory, a whole bunch of files called ""Autorecovery save". You can safely trash those too.

Then restart Word.

Hopefully this may help.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:46
English to Spanish
Turn off background repagination Jun 10, 2010

To turn off Background Repagination,
Change the document view to normal, outline, or master document view
Select Tools
Select Options
Select General

Alternative: install an additional memory card.

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
English to Portuguese
Turn off Web Layout Options Jun 10, 2010

In Tools ==>Options==> Web Layout and Printing Options ==> Display Tab, clear check boxes "Drawing".
This has always worked for me.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Normal dot Jun 10, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

But you will lose all your custom settings (keyboard shortcuts, icons, menus, styles, macros etc.)! Make sure you do a backup of the file and use this as a last resort...

What view are you using? Draft should be the fastest one and maybe it will be enough to just type in the translation (you can do the bigger format corrections later). If not, experiment with other views

By the way, you have not specified your version of Word - different versions might have different solutions...

Dan Butuza
Dan Butuza  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 20:46
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, repagination seems to work but... Jun 10, 2010

still, the doc is to slow to open, I use Word 2007 and it gives me a feeling of uncertainty every time I work with docs in Word (will it crash now, later, will crash eventually etc.).
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll try to stay away from situations like this in the future.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
The simple way Jun 10, 2010

Break your file down into smaller files of 50-odd pages each. That ought to speed Word up. Then put it all back together when you've finished.

BTW, even if you did use a CAT, it would be unlikely to make things work any faster - certainly WF doesn' work at all well in large files, in my experience.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Repagination and CATs Jun 10, 2010

But editing is slow exactly because repagination is working in the background! You should turn it off, as described here (2007 instructions are at the end):

http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001261_Turning_Off_Background_Repagination.html

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
BTW, even if you did use a CAT, it would be unlikely to make things work any faster - certainly WF doesn' work at all well in large files, in my experience.

WF (Classic) works inside Word, then of course it will not make things faster. With any CAT that has its own interface (TagEditor, MemoQ, DVX, SDL Studio, etc.) the translation itself will be faster for certain.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Grammar&Spellcheck Jun 10, 2010

Disabling one might help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word very slow when editing a very long doc (320 pages, 50000 w)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »