ناشر الموضوع: David Wright
David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
النمسا
Local time: 15:14
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

Can anyone help with the following problem.
I use Word 2007 but basically save all files as Word 95-2003 documents.
On occasion (i.e. not always), when I copy from one Word document (my rough translation, prepared using a dictation programme, but a normal Word 95-2003 file ) into the client's target file (usually Word 95-2003), having reset for the target language, usually English, the font is neither that of the source text nor the target text but something completely different (a
... See more
Can anyone help with the following problem.
I use Word 2007 but basically save all files as Word 95-2003 documents.
On occasion (i.e. not always), when I copy from one Word document (my rough translation, prepared using a dictation programme, but a normal Word 95-2003 file ) into the client's target file (usually Word 95-2003), having reset for the target language, usually English, the font is neither that of the source text nor the target text but something completely different (and not even the same each time). Moreover, any changes I have made in the source text since opening the file are sometimes in yet another font, often with a different size as well.

Another related aspect is that ALWAYS when I transfer the text from the English source file to the originally German target file, even though I have set the language for both files as English, the text in the target file is marked as being German.

This is all driving me a little mad, as it slows down my working speed considerably, and I'd be grateful for any help (I've put up with it for well over two years so far!)
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
فرنسا
عضو
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
مترجم الموقع
Styles issues? Jun 1, 2010

I'm no expert, and I don't know anything at all about Word 2007, but what you're describing sounds very much like a problem with styles.

If, for example, you paste in a chunk of text assigned with style 'X', but style 'X' already exists in the existing document, surely the attributes of the underlying document's style 'X' will replace those you have pasted? I'm only assuming this, since it seems logical to me!

Now of course, if the 2 style 'X' s are different (as may ha
... See more
I'm no expert, and I don't know anything at all about Word 2007, but what you're describing sounds very much like a problem with styles.

If, for example, you paste in a chunk of text assigned with style 'X', but style 'X' already exists in the existing document, surely the attributes of the underlying document's style 'X' will replace those you have pasted? I'm only assuming this, since it seems logical to me!

Now of course, if the 2 style 'X' s are different (as may happen if, for example, someone has taken a 'standard' style and modified it without renaming it), the attributes of the pasted text will change (apparently randomly) to match those of the equivalent style in the target document's style list.

I'd have thought one way round this might have been to simply create in your usual document a unique style that couldn't possibly exist somewhere else (like Davidsnormal!), and see if that doesn't avoid the problem. Alternatively, if you are copying-&-pasting, you could try 'paste special' > 'unformatted text', which will force the inserted text to follow the style of the document into which you are inserting it (if of course that's what you want!)

As for the language issue, I've had this sort of thing a lot even with Word 2003, and it has been discussed before in these fora; I think there are stray language codes that hang around in documents and cause problems!

What I usually do (though it might not suit your workflow) is upon receipt rename and save a copy of the source file, at which time I change the language globally into my target language (on the basis that no further spell-checking in the source language should be necessary!), and of course, I make sure that my new text is created using a blank document with the right language set in the template. This seems to avoid most problems (except with 'comments' and text boxes).

I hope these few ideas may a least give you some food for thought

[Edited at 2010-06-01 06:50 GMT]
Collapse

David Wright
النمسا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks Tony Jun 1, 2010

The style aspect seems to have solved the format problem, but the language suggestion doesn't work. I've been doing what you suggest for years and it never seems to work. Target text set to English, my source file set to English, copy a paragraph and the text in the target text is marked as German. Actually I can live with that - the solution to the format/font problem was much more important - so once again, thanks very much indeed

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
عضو (2005)
أنجليزي إلى تشيكي
+ ...
Detect language automatically Jun 1, 2010

Are you sure you do not have active the check/uncheck field "Detect language automatically" in Review - (Proofing) - Set Language?

Antonin

Tony M
Tony M
فرنسا
عضو
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
مترجم الموقع
Languages Jun 1, 2010

Good, glad that was some help, then, David!

Just one thought: I don't suppose you have inadvertently got 'detect langage automatically' checked, have you? (In Word 2003, Tools > Language > Set language — I've no idea about W 2007) — I feel sure this would screw things up if it was, for example, detecting the language on the basis of the first few words of the document.

I have often found that if I set the language globally in my target document, and then copy-&-past
... See more
Good, glad that was some help, then, David!

Just one thought: I don't suppose you have inadvertently got 'detect langage automatically' checked, have you? (In Word 2003, Tools > Language > Set language — I've no idea about W 2007) — I feel sure this would screw things up if it was, for example, detecting the language on the basis of the first few words of the document.

I have often found that if I set the language globally in my target document, and then copy-&-paste bits into another document also with the language set correctly, I seem to somehow 'carry over' the original language that my target doc was in before I set it. Possibly you might need to look at the attributes in the blank document template you are using for your dictation document (or indeed, perhaps the settings of the dictation program?) — or your default text entry language setting?

I always have a problem with this, as usually when I am originating a document for scratch, it is because I am writing a letter or something in FR, whereas when I am translating (i.e. into EN), more often than not I am over-typing in an existing document. But if I do something outside that pattern, I do soemtimes get my knickers in a right twist!
Collapse

David Wright
النمسا
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Thanks Tony and Antonin Jun 1, 2010

No, the automatic language detection is not on, but I have noticed a few other anomalies in the general area of language selection (eg I set my default language to English and still whenever I start a new file the language is German.)I suspect there are a few bugs in my program.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Format problems when copying from one file to another in Word 2007

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »