Phantom Emails
Téma indítója: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Olaszország
Local time: 20:34
francia - angol
Dec 12, 2008

I received a job offer this morning on my Blackberry via my gmail account. I accepted and when I got back to my office I opened thunderbird to download the email with its attachment. No email appeared. I opened gmail and there was no letter there either. The email had even disappeared from my blackberry! I rang the agency to check that I hadn't been dreaming and they confirmed that they has sent me a job.
Has anyone else experienced vanishing emails or any idea about what might have happen
... See more
I received a job offer this morning on my Blackberry via my gmail account. I accepted and when I got back to my office I opened thunderbird to download the email with its attachment. No email appeared. I opened gmail and there was no letter there either. The email had even disappeared from my blackberry! I rang the agency to check that I hadn't been dreaming and they confirmed that they has sent me a job.
Has anyone else experienced vanishing emails or any idea about what might have happened
Collapse

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norvégia
angol - norvég: bokmal
+ ...
I had one go the other way around... Dec 12, 2008

I finished a job, zipped it and sent it - with Outlook.
It didn't come trough for almost a week. The worst part about it was that I was so busy at that point, that I failed to check with the client if they got the mail. They also spend time proofreading, so it didn't even strike me that they hadn't recieved it.

I had no suspicion whatsoever, until I suddenly got the copy that I had sent to my other E-mail account, 6 days too late. (Ironi isn't it, I send myself a copy to ma
... See more
I finished a job, zipped it and sent it - with Outlook.
It didn't come trough for almost a week. The worst part about it was that I was so busy at that point, that I failed to check with the client if they got the mail. They also spend time proofreading, so it didn't even strike me that they hadn't recieved it.

I had no suspicion whatsoever, until I suddenly got the copy that I had sent to my other E-mail account, 6 days too late. (Ironi isn't it, I send myself a copy to make sure I know that everything is just fine - as I just upgraded my Outlook to the latest version. It fails me... And I STILL don't think of it.)

Needless to say - I got red hot, then cold, then I sweat and panic. I sent the mail again, from my other account. 6 days late. As if that would save the day! What could I do?
Why didn't they call me, mail me or try to get in touch??? - I had 2 full days of horrible thoughts about Outlook, Microsoft, my own uncredible neglect and more - and searched for what the cause could be. I never found out just what happened, and just had to let it go. The client asked for a different translator.
Am I pissed of? Oh yes.
But there was no valid excuse - and I just had to deal with it.

Still, I don't trust Outlook. I was told, not long ago, that if the formatting is not plain text - Outlook may resist sending it. But - a zipped file??? I still can't believe it.

That's my story, " the Phantom delivery failure mail..."
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
Tag (2005 óta)
angol - spanyol
+ ...
So I was right.... Dec 12, 2008

...for not having a Blackberry! Aha!

(Sorry. I just could not help it. Good luck with the research!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Phantom Emails

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »