wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
Greetings Sep 13, 2011

Denyce,

Great to see you. Belated Greetings to You for a Happy Moon Festival.

Belated, 'cause I just saw the moon when I went out jogging. It already started to wane a little bit.

I hope everything has been going well for you. Don't be such a stranger, we really miss you guys here.

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 00:43
Chinese to English
+ ...
I am more than inexcusable for having not said hello to you for such a long time^)^ Sep 14, 2011

Yes, great to see you again.

wherestip wrote:

I forgot Last Hermit. That's inexcusable. Great to see you, Reed.

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for the Greeting Sep 15, 2011

wherestip wrote:

David,

It's great to see you here. So glad you could make it.

I hope everything is going well for you. I've been watching coverage of the 10th anniversary of 9/11 on TV all day. What an atrocious crime against humanity! 10 years later, emotions are still raw. If you're stateside, you probably know what I mean.

I wish you and all the others a happy moon festival. Like I said before, I'm really happy to see all the old forum regulars showing up: Xiaoping, Shaun, Zhiqin, Julia, Shaunna, Angeline, Jianjun, Dr. Li, Lin, Joyce, stone, and last but not least, peiling.

I've left out those who show up, even if once in a while. But definitely well wishes to everyone.

Hi Steve,

I have gone through a lot during the last three years (positively course), and am very busy but doing well.

Yes, I know what you mean. That morning my big boy was the first to get up as usual for his cartoon show before 6:00am California time, and when he saw the first crash, he knew it was not part of his Ninja Turtle show. He went upstairs to wake me up so I was just in time to witness the second plane slamming into the second tower on CNN live. I had been to downtown Manhattan several times before the fall of the twin towers, so I had some sense of how tall and concentrated the buildings were. The New York skyline certainly looked different after that during the following visits, and unfortunately I never had a single digital photo of the twin towers, because they fell before I had my first digital camera. My eleven year old boy then is now in college, and so is his younger brother, but the events are still fresh in our memories.

It is nice to see familiar faces pop up again. I am not able to come and chat as often as I would like to, but will join the fun when I have time, at lease once in a while.

Hi Joyce,

I enjoyed your description of your "Monkeys," some of which fits mine. They grow up so fast, you've got to "enjoy" them when they are still around. Now I need to wait for half a year before the next chance to be with them. Your post warmed up this forum. Best wishes!

Hi Reed,

Glad to see you back. I googled the image of 横琴蚝 redred mentioned, and they look pretty impressive. A close match on the US west cost would be the oysters along the Hood Canal near Seattle:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/travel/escapes/01shellfish.html

But they are not as meaty. I had them deep-fried, which seems to be the only way Western cooking can make fish taste right. Maybe I should head your way during my next visit?

Xiaoping,

Although I never mentioned when it would be my turn to take you to dinner as a return to your wonderful dishes more than three years ago in San Francisco, I still remember the Canadian "ice-wine." Best regards!

[Edited at 2011-09-15 05:27 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
My pleasure Sep 15, 2011

Lin Yang wrote:

You, Yueyin, Zhou Dan, Donglai, and others all helped me in those early days.

Lin Yang,

I can't recall when and where I ever helped you, but if I was of any help to you, that’s my pleasure. Thank you!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
中美小学生教育 Sep 15, 2011

Zhiqin_Chen wrote:

我家宝贝现在三年级了。跟Helen差不多大,比Shaunna家老大小点?看Helen弹琴的样子,又开始想弹琴了。幼儿园大班考了四级,可能因为考级前老是重复弹几首曲子,破坏了兴趣,后面就不可弹了。我也没有坚持。
现在课业也上来了。我不断纠结在愉快教育和应试教育中,试图寻找平衡。

Zhiqin_Chen,

你的宝贝女儿很可爱。确实,我家 Helen 与你宝贝女儿一样,都上小学三年级。中国小学生负担太沉重,而美国小学生却又太轻松。Helen 在放学后去学钢琴、舞蹈、游泳、中文等,主要就是为了不浪费时间。在中国,小学生一进学校,就要为将来上重点中学、名牌大学而努力奋斗,也就等于上了一辆马不停蹄的战车。进了名牌大学之后,又开始准备留学。

我们这里也有让人纠结的问题。当中国小学生开始学习奥数时,美国小学生还在学加减乘除。中学生对数理化的兴趣也不高。这也许是美国许多大学生不愿学理工科的重要原因之一。不过话说回来,历届国际奥林匹克数理化竞赛的中国冠亚季军们,其中有不少如今正在给连大学都没上完的 Bill Gates、Steve Jobs 等老板打工。这里的奥妙,猜也猜不出几分。看来,中美的教育都必须改革。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
欢迎回来 Sep 15, 2011

David,

很高兴又在此见到你。之前你已有将近两年没露面了。当然,我知道你很忙。不过,自你“隐居”之后,我们再也看不到你的摄影佳作和风趣而富有哲理的帖子了。希望你今后常回来看看。

[Edited at 2011-09-16 13:48 GMT]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:43
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
猜一猜,他們是誰 Sep 26, 2011

... See more

Collapse

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
心有限 爱无疆 Sep 14, 2012

众友相聚时,品茶聊天、饮酒打趣,茶香伴着酒气,多得人生快意。欢乐之余,席间也有提议做一点更有益的事情,把大家的快乐心情传递到周围那些需要关心而缺少关心的人群。所谓上善若水,大爱无疆,以区区有限之心,送达无疆之爱,也属健康人生有益而可为之举吧~

然虽数次提及,也不乏唱和之众,但终因实施不力而无行动成果。大概此系爱心常有,但确�
... See more
众友相聚时,品茶聊天、饮酒打趣,茶香伴着酒气,多得人生快意。欢乐之余,席间也有提议做一点更有益的事情,把大家的快乐心情传递到周围那些需要关心而缺少关心的人群。所谓上善若水,大爱无疆,以区区有限之心,送达无疆之爱,也属健康人生有益而可为之举吧~

然虽数次提及,也不乏唱和之众,但终因实施不力而无行动成果。大概此系爱心常有,但确实有限,心情有余,而无成事之力。

世间虽大,有天地容之。广袤天地,却有人心堪比。观纳百川之海,常叹其有容之大量。反思自身,时感情智有限,德行卑微。对比我等芸芸众生,多为经纶事务各自四方奔忙之人。同学相聚,畅谈感怀,有沟通不同想法,更能分享愉快心情。在生活压力获得释放之后,近者能对于身边他人多几分理解和体谅,已属不易;如能惠及远者,尚可表达一分关怀心意,则确属难能可贵了。。。

我们常谈及生命无常,明知美好生活需要良好心态。为达此不算奢侈的愿望,只有懂得更多的宽容和理解,让心底开始接近真正的平和、无怨、无恨时,才会使我们有限的心意,最终化为无疆关爱之情!

中秋将至,闲留数言,聊寄明月千里,四海故人~

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

看看聚聚,虚拟中秋,
看看就好,不必留恋在一处的。

或许明年中秋可以再会。

Bin Tiede wrote:

pkchan wrote:

Donglai Lou wrote:

pkchan wrote:

版主 Joyce Curran 已給我電郵。

祝大家中秋节快乐。

這裏熱鬧起來了,這個中秋比過往的要高興得多。

大叔,唤得回来,留得住吗?
Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
祝大家中秋節快樂! Sep 14, 2012

數一數日曆,離中秋還有兩個多星期,不知今天年又會有多少新知舊友,在中秋期間,到這一聚。希望看到更多的留言。

Zhiqin_Chen
Zhiqin_Chen  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
中秋我们跑到外面过 Sep 16, 2012

带着女儿跑宁波溪口嘎达转转

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
宁波溪口嘎达 Sep 16, 2012

期待會放些照片在這裡。

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
第一张和第三张照片是谁? Sep 18, 2012

第二张是STONE JOHN。

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
都是以往的常客 Sep 18, 2012

jyuan_us wrote:

第二张是STONE JOHN。

有的還來,有的絕響。

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
你怎么找到这些照片的啊? Sep 20, 2012

都到你家拜访过? 或者你参加了他们的某活动?

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
是其他中一位自己在這裏 post 出口來的 Sep 20, 2012

jyuan_us wrote:

都到你家拜访过? 或者你参加了他们的某活动?

記憶中,他們大概是在上海參加某人的婚宴。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

来自Joyce的中秋祝福

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »