Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 10:32
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 14, 2009

Hello,

is it possible to transfer the whole data banks and configuration from the standart location (C: hard disk) to a diferent location, e.g., a second hard disk? It this operation complex?

Thanks!
Regards,
Marcos

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Excellent question Oct 14, 2009

I sure hope someone can answer this. I like Across and use it for larger jobs, but I haven't figured out how to back up my work to an external drive while I'm in the middle of a translation -- and that's when it's most important to do so!

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 10:32
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Backup Oct 14, 2009

James,

for backup purposes there is a specific tool you can find in the folder "cross goodies". I never tested it, so I don't know if it works well.

My objective, though, is a different one: I like to concentrate all my important data in a different hard drive, which means across would have to have direct access to these data. Something similar I do with my e-mail stuff from Thunderbird. I works beautifully. I once had to fresh install my Windows and did not have to wor
... See more
James,

for backup purposes there is a specific tool you can find in the folder "cross goodies". I never tested it, so I don't know if it works well.

My objective, though, is a different one: I like to concentrate all my important data in a different hard drive, which means across would have to have direct access to these data. Something similar I do with my e-mail stuff from Thunderbird. I works beautifully. I once had to fresh install my Windows and did not have to worry a thing about my e-mails and e-mail configuration.

Cheers,
Marcos
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 03:32
English to German
Backups Oct 14, 2009

James,

to back up current work, such as a project, just switch to the project view, highlight the project and right-click. Select export to file, and in the dialog you can then specifiy a location on where to back up your current project. I use this daily, because I dont always want to do a full back-up.

Marcos,

to move the complete databases for example to an external hard drive, you should contatc across support. They have a script that can be used. I byp
... See more
James,

to back up current work, such as a project, just switch to the project view, highlight the project and right-click. Select export to file, and in the dialog you can then specifiy a location on where to back up your current project. I use this daily, because I dont always want to do a full back-up.

Marcos,

to move the complete databases for example to an external hard drive, you should contatc across support. They have a script that can be used. I bypassed this issue because I installed the databases externally upon installation.

Uwe
Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Uwe & Marcos, Oct 14, 2009

Uwe, I apologize if I hijacked your thread. I misunderstood your question.

But thanks to both of you for the cogent answers. I'll feel much safer using Across now.

Fedot L
Fedot L
Local time: 11:32
Russian to French
+ ...
Look at Acronis Oct 15, 2009

Look at:
Acronis® Migrate Easy 7.0
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
<
... See more
Look at:
Acronis® Migrate Easy 7.0
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronis_True_Image

One day, “True Image 11” let me, without a visit to a computer repair service, restore (from CD-drive, via BIOS) my hard disks after very hard errors occurred, logical disks partition lost etc., saving all my data.

For current work backup, I use a flash memory card, clicking first on save onto the flash card, then onto the “main” hard disk. This can make it possible, even in case of power module problem etc, to continue a time-critical job from your flash card on another computer.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transfer important data to different hard disk

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »