Litsehimmel
Litsehimmel
Netherlands
Local time: 13:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2009

Hi everybody.

I'm new to the community and would like to ask for help and/or suggestions with the installation of Across. I followed the suggestions in an earlier topic on installing the SQL Server 2005 seperately first and tweaking it, and have it up and running.

Due to our (chaotic ;o) household setup I need to be able to move from a laptop to a desktop from time to time and therefor have installed most of my translation work and tools on an external hard disk. Howev
... See more
Hi everybody.

I'm new to the community and would like to ask for help and/or suggestions with the installation of Across. I followed the suggestions in an earlier topic on installing the SQL Server 2005 seperately first and tweaking it, and have it up and running.

Due to our (chaotic ;o) household setup I need to be able to move from a laptop to a desktop from time to time and therefor have installed most of my translation work and tools on an external hard disk. However, I cannot find a way (if there even is one!) to install Across on any other but the main hard drive, even though I downloaded it to the external hard disk to begin with.

Hopefully somebody can help me with this, otherwise I will just have to look for another CAT-tool.

With friendly greetings,

a slightly frustrated newby ;o)
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Advice Jul 26, 2009

1) Applications are installed in some applications place AND in the systems. On your external hard drive you would in fact need to install two Across in two different places.

2) As a pro you really need to have some sort of computer that nobody else touches. Really nobody.

3) Apart from applications, keep away you FILES in some OTHER place that nobody else has access to. For instance a usb stick with password.

Litsehimmel
Litsehimmel
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Advice appreciated Jul 26, 2009

1) If you mean by installing Across in 'two different places' that I'd need a registry for one installation, I can't do that. I haven't partioned the (external) hard disk. I guess just using the external hard disk is out of the question then.

2) Our household consists of 4 (pre-)teens and two adults who all need to use a computer several times a day; homework, office work, translation work ... there's not enough money going around here to have that many computers I'm afraid. C'est l
... See more
1) If you mean by installing Across in 'two different places' that I'd need a registry for one installation, I can't do that. I haven't partioned the (external) hard disk. I guess just using the external hard disk is out of the question then.

2) Our household consists of 4 (pre-)teens and two adults who all need to use a computer several times a day; homework, office work, translation work ... there's not enough money going around here to have that many computers I'm afraid. C'est la vie, n'est ce pas?

3) The files are perfectly safe on the external hard disk. And nobody else touches that. Besides that I make a back-up of each finished project on a cd-rom so I have double safety.

I guess the overall conclusion would be to either install Across on the pc I use the most or switch to another CAT-tool. Anyway, thank you for your answer and advice. I appreciate it ;o)
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Teens Jul 27, 2009

Teens are alien monsters from space who are set on destroying humanity. If you have 4 or them, you're doomed. You should run away while there is still something left.

Without joking this time, I think you can install 2 Across on 2 different folders on your external hard drive, one for each operating system. You don't really need partitions.

Litsehimmel
Litsehimmel
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Running for the hills! ;o) Jul 27, 2009

Teens indeed have nothing in common with humanity; I wonder each day how they can be mine!

On the Across problem: the only thing left then is to circumvent the installation at the point where it only gives me the option of installing it on the C: drive. I haven't been able to figure out how to point it towards the external drive.

Anyway, I'll give it a go again tonight, am gone most of the day to cut down trees for wood for the masonry oven. Have a nice day!

Litsehimmel
Litsehimmel
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved and Across helpdesk answered as well Jul 27, 2009

Hi.

Back from murdering trees, although I'm going to LOVE watching the one that gave me a fat lip burn in the oven! ;o) This morning my problem was solved, and I have a reply from the Across helpdesk as well.

The helpdesk told me that, since Across uses different data bases, it is impossible to install it on an external hard disk. There is just no option in that direction. Of course saving the files on an external disk is possible, as is saving any data to an internal d
... See more
Hi.

Back from murdering trees, although I'm going to LOVE watching the one that gave me a fat lip burn in the oven! ;o) This morning my problem was solved, and I have a reply from the Across helpdesk as well.

The helpdesk told me that, since Across uses different data bases, it is impossible to install it on an external hard disk. There is just no option in that direction. Of course saving the files on an external disk is possible, as is saving any data to an internal drive other than C:.

However, this morning my mother was kind enough to offer me her old XP pc and now I have my own computer on which I will install Across. Besides safeguarding it with a password I will also put 20.000 volts on it for those pesky teens *grin* Kidding of course, although I'm tempted ...

Thanks for the advice and response, this was a nice introduction to the Proz community ;o)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Across on external hard disk

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »