Should only the asker award KudoZ points??
Téma indítója: eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
német - angol
+ ...
Jul 10, 2001

This is a question that hit me the other day.

Background: if and when I decide to post a KudoZ answer, I do so to assist fellow colleagues. But of course, it is always nice to be appreciated.

Check keyword \"Schlittenversuchsanlage\" (DEU>ENG); I posted the correct term (sled-test facility - context: crash tests); another member had posted a very general answer, in fact, without giving a real answer at all (actually, even admitting that she did not know
... See more
This is a question that hit me the other day.

Background: if and when I decide to post a KudoZ answer, I do so to assist fellow colleagues. But of course, it is always nice to be appreciated.

Check keyword \"Schlittenversuchsanlage\" (DEU>ENG); I posted the correct term (sled-test facility - context: crash tests); another member had posted a very general answer, in fact, without giving a real answer at all (actually, even admitting that she did not know what the question was all about). But she got the points!

You might think I am upset over losing points. No.

The problem is the ProZ Glossary: I entered my term into the glossary for that question because I felt that users of the glossary should not be misled by wrong answers (I mean, if the asker wants to put that into her translation, well, good luck to her).

I believe therefore that the asker should not be the only one to decide on whose answer gets chosen - this is a clear example where an asker does not know how to deal with answers he or she receives.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

The asker of that question has contacted me in the meantime, confirming that it was a \"slip of the mouse\". All the more reason to have a safeguard in place (we definitely need more editing features - e.g., editing one\'s KudoZ answer,etc.)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-11 12:45 ]
Collapse

Blanca Rodriguez
Blanca Rodriguez
Local time: 13:59
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Jul 22, 2001

I absolutely agree with your suggestion about editing our Kudoz answers. I have sometimes found that I forgot writing something important or even misread the question right after I clicked the submit button.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should only the asker award KudoZ points??

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »