A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you had to decide, which project would you choose: an interesting one, or one that pays well?
Téma indítója: ProZ.com Staff
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 13:38
angol - német
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Other Jun 21, 2014

To me, "interesting" equals "challenging". Challenging texts must be paid accordingly.

Also, "interesting" means to me that I want learn more about the topic. Which in return means lots of research and reading, which I won't do at lower pay.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Tag (2003 óta)
spanyol - angol
+ ...
Other Jun 21, 2014

It would depend on my circumstances at the particular juncture in time. If I needed the money, I'd do the one that pays well. Fortunately, my best-paying customer usually sends me very interesting jobs. On the other hand, if my bank account was in good shape and the subject was really dear to my heart and I wanted to learn more about it, I would take the interesting job without a question. Once when I was studying botany I offered my services to a professional journal in the field for a steeply ... See more
It would depend on my circumstances at the particular juncture in time. If I needed the money, I'd do the one that pays well. Fortunately, my best-paying customer usually sends me very interesting jobs. On the other hand, if my bank account was in good shape and the subject was really dear to my heart and I wanted to learn more about it, I would take the interesting job without a question. Once when I was studying botany I offered my services to a professional journal in the field for a steeply reduced rate. I also did a translation at a reduced rate for coffee growers competing for an award in sustainable farming.Collapse

Laurens Sipahelut
Laurens Sipahelut  Identity Verified
Indonézia
Local time: 03:38
holland - indonéz
+ ...
One that pays well Jun 22, 2014

What else could I answer as a commercial translator?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 05:38
Tag (2011 óta)
japán - angol
Cross my palm with silver Jun 22, 2014

...and you've got my interest.

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Pay me enough, and I'll find anything interesting

@Charlie
Good point.

However, I don't accept stuff outside my 'comfort zone'. As a technical translator I'm amazed at the number of customers/clients who assume I can handle almost everything. Find me an engineer who can do that and I'll by you a pint.

In the gold 'ol days when I outsourced lots of work, more frequently than not the translators who claimed to do almost anything and everything (read 'irresponsible translators') were the least capable. I had to conduct mop-up operations on countless occasions which affects everyone involved and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, at best.

It is absolutely foolish to accept everything just because it's interesting or well-remunerated. You have to draw a sensible line somewhere. Biting off more than you can chew causes more problems than you think. ;-((

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
angol - német
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
@Julian: I sooo agree Jun 22, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It is absolutely foolish to accept everything just because it's interesting or well-remunerated. You have to draw a sensible line somewhere. Biting off more than you can chew causes more problems than you think. ;-((

I am still not sure, how "interesting" is supposed to be defined. To me, "challenging" means highly sophisticated text in my B-to-B fields that will have a high impact on the readership and that comes with a lot of responsibility (e.g., finding the right words in a CEO's announcement, that thousands of employees will be laid off by the end of the year or that the company will be sold.)

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japán
Local time: 05:38
Tag (2011 óta)
japán - angol
Quite agree 2 Jun 22, 2014

Nicole Schnell wrote:

... highly sophisticated text in my B-to-B fields that will have a high impact on the readership and that comes with a lot of responsibility (e.g., finding the right words in a CEO's announcement, that thousands of employees will be laid off by the end of the year or that the company will be sold.)

Why not just use Donald Trump's famous one-liner?

On a more serious note, though, I have just started translating an annual report for a new customer. Believe it or not, the first part of the translation is the MD&A. (I'm also getting paid to critique the English in the previous year's MD&A. Nothing like a bit of value-added translation. )
This is going to be difficult when I get the CEO's message to the shareholders since the company registered a big increase in income but ended the year in the red. Should be interesting how they word that. Challenging, indeed!

BTW, this project is interesting as well as reasonably well-paid. But it's also proportionately challenging - you really have to be alert and on your toes. That's part of the territory when rates get higher - customers expect more from you.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Németország
Local time: 22:38
Tag (2009 óta)
angol - német
+ ...
Agree Jun 22, 2014

Tina Vonhof wrote:

I would be inclined to choose the more interesting project but it also depends on other factors: is this a direct client or outsourcer, old client or new client, what is the deadline, etc.

It's the same here, Tina. There is more to it than a simple "black and white" decision.

I always prefer interesting/challenging projects, which usually pay quite well, too, since they require more than "just" a "regular" translation. But if there's some bills other than the usual ones to be paid, I'd also accept a boring job to get these bills out of the way.

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you had to decide, which project would you choose: an interesting one, or one that pays well?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »