Upgrade MS Office 2003 to 2010 or Run them Side by Side?
Téma indítója: Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 01:23
angol - spanyol
Mar 31, 2013

Hi all,

After having some annoying problems trying to access all translatable text in a MS Publisher 2010 file (with embedded Excel objects in it) from a client, I have finally decided to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2010. I bought the 2010 version long time ago, but never installed it.

My current setup:
- Windows XP Pro
- Microsoft Office 2003 Pro
- SDL Studio 2011

Which option would be better?
a) A complete upgrade rem
... See more
Hi all,

After having some annoying problems trying to access all translatable text in a MS Publisher 2010 file (with embedded Excel objects in it) from a client, I have finally decided to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2010. I bought the 2010 version long time ago, but never installed it.

My current setup:
- Windows XP Pro
- Microsoft Office 2003 Pro
- SDL Studio 2011

Which option would be better?
a) A complete upgrade removing Office 2003 applications
-- OR --
b) A side by side (2003 + 2010) installation

Did you have any problems during the upgrade process, errors, etc.?

I look forward to your responses!

Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-03-31 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Michael T
Michael T  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 09:23
spanyol - angol
+ ...
I would run both versions if compatible Apr 1, 2013

Personally I would run both versions of Office side by side. I know that the Trados 2011 instant preview feature, for example, doesn't always work if the file was created with a previous version of Office. They will tell you that you need that version of office installed on your system.

I don't know whether or not there are any compatibility issues running two versions of office though... I only have 2010 installed.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
Local time: 09:23
orosz - angol
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Running MS Office 2007 with Word 2000 Apr 1, 2013

I have been doing this successfully for some years. The only problem I had (not initially, it only arose about a year ago) was that the selected program always had to be configured before it would start. I solved this with the aid of a tip found he... See more
I have been doing this successfully for some years. The only problem I had (not initially, it only arose about a year ago) was that the selected program always had to be configured before it would start. I solved this with the aid of a tip found here:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/155484-office-word-2007-configuration-problem-solved.html

I presume you would have to change "12.0" to "13.0" in the second line.
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 01:23
angol - spanyol
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Use other than Studio preview Apr 10, 2013

Michael,

Thank you for your useful comments. My question then would be, since I do not use Studio's preview feature (at least not so far), whether I could do with just the 2010 version of MS Office, instead of having a side-by-side installation of both versions, 2003 and 2010. I just do not know whether I would need to keep 2003 for anything else.

----------------

Jack,

Thank you for your helpful response and link. The fix found there might c
... See more
Michael,

Thank you for your useful comments. My question then would be, since I do not use Studio's preview feature (at least not so far), whether I could do with just the 2010 version of MS Office, instead of having a side-by-side installation of both versions, 2003 and 2010. I just do not know whether I would need to keep 2003 for anything else.

----------------

Jack,

Thank you for your helpful response and link. The fix found there might come in very handy if in the end I decide to go for the side-by-side installation. The problem you describe was precisely one of my concerns.

---------------

Thank you, both!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade MS Office 2003 to 2010 or Run them Side by Side?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »