Latvian characters in Word 97
Téma indítója: Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
angol - svéd
Jan 8, 2007

First of all excuse me for not writing in Latvian.

Is there a simple (and maybe free or anyway cheap) way to write Lativan characters in Word 97?

My 78 year old mother is Latvian, and I am trying to configure a Swedish Word 97 (in a Swedish Windows 98) for her.

First I tried to configure the Auto correct feature (for example äe for ā), but of course it did not work in the middle of words as you have to type a space after the combination to activate the Au
... See more

Is there a simple (and maybe free or anyway cheap) way to write Lativan characters in Word 97?

My 78 year old mother is Latvian, and I am trying to configure a Swedish Word 97 (in a Swedish Windows 98) for her.

First I tried to configure the Auto correct feature (for example äe for ā), but of course it did not work in the middle of words as you have to type a space after the combination to activate the Auto correct feature.

I then tried creating macros for each character, but it turned out to be to many things for my mother to remember (one combination for each diacritic).

Any tip (also on commercial software) is appreciated! My mother is going back to Latvia on Thursday, and I am trying to get the whole thing working for her by then.

Much obliged,
Cecilia
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Lettország
Local time: 22:00
Tag (2003 óta)
angol - lett
+ ...
You need one of two programs Jan 8, 2007

one is Winlat (obsolete, but OK for writing in Latvian and cheaper):
http://www.ma-1.lv/group.asp?groupid=29&brandid=837&groupname=Programmatūra&brandname=Winlat

the other one is Tilde (up to date, includes dictionary, but more expensive and the English version of the page is
... See more
one is Winlat (obsolete, but OK for writing in Latvian and cheaper):
http://www.ma-1.lv/group.asp?groupid=29&brandid=837&groupname=Programmatūra&brandname=Winlat

the other one is Tilde (up to date, includes dictionary, but more expensive and the English version of the page is down at the moment):
http://www.tilde.lv/portal/go/tilde/3333/en-US/DesktopDefault.aspx

Actually theoretically it should be possible to write in Latvian also using only MS Office (I guess it should be set up somewhere in Control Panel- Regional Settings), but I have never tried it, nor do I know anyone who has.

Uldis

Cecilia Falk wrote:

Much obliged,
Cecilia

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-01-08 17:31]
Collapse

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
angol - lett
+ ...
Tilde Jan 8, 2007

Tilde is the standard solution here. It's not even that expensive. You get some additional tools with it, like a GER>LAT, LAT>GER, ENG>LAT, LAT>ENG, LAT>RUS, RUS>LAT dictionaries with it, a LAT synonym dicitionary and support for all things Latvian on your computer.

But I think (not sure) any version of MS Windows XP enables you to type in Latvian. PLZ see

Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> click on the "Languages" tab --> Details... -->

A
... See more
Tilde is the standard solution here. It's not even that expensive. You get some additional tools with it, like a GER>LAT, LAT>GER, ENG>LAT, LAT>ENG, LAT>RUS, RUS>LAT dictionaries with it, a LAT synonym dicitionary and support for all things Latvian on your computer.

But I think (not sure) any version of MS Windows XP enables you to type in Latvian. PLZ see

Control Panel --> Regional and Language Options --> click on the "Languages" tab --> Details... -->

Add Latvian to the installed services.

Select Latvian in the window "Add input languages".

You also see a drop down menu "Keyboard layout/IME"

There are several layouts for Latvian. I use the one with tilde (~), because you make less spelling errors if you type fast. Hitting the tilde ir always easier than trying to hit the quotation mark ('), you basically can't hit anything besides the tab key or ESC.

Hope I could help you.
Collapse

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
angol - svéd
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thank you! Jan 9, 2007

I checked out all the software and methods mentioned, but in the end I found a free way of doing it.

This is what I did:
Opened the Symbols dialog under Insert in Word.
Added a shortcut key for all the Latvian letters found in Latin Extended-A (AltGr+Shift+A for Ā, AltGr + A for ā, etc).

My mother tried it out last night, and it worked fine.

Thanks again!
Cecilia

Ehhez a fórumhoz nincs külön moderátor kijelölve.
Ha a webhely szabályainak megsértését kívánja jelenteni, vagy segítségre van szüksége, lépjen kapcsolatba a webhely munkatársaival ».

Latvian characters in Word 97

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »