A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >
Corona quarantine diary
Téma indítója: Mervyn Henderson

Chris T  Identity Verified
Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
Lol Apr 14

Nice one, my son. Getting better every time!!

Edit:

Nice one, me ol' china.

Keep forgetting I was almost a Cockney meself...

[Edited at 2021-04-14 08:50 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson

Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:46
Tag (2010 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
Confinement & Cockney Apr 14

In France we are into another “confinement” for the whole month of April. Same problems - improvement - letting up - infection increases- measures put in place.

Ref the Cockney stories - fantastic, almost makes me nostalgic for my time in London. For someone not born within the sound of Bow Bells (for the uninitiated, the traditional definition of a Cockney) you have got the language just right.

I wonder what the shaggy dog stories would sound like in N. Irish. Bu
... See more
In France we are into another “confinement” for the whole month of April. Same problems - improvement - letting up - infection increases- measures put in place.

Ref the Cockney stories - fantastic, almost makes me nostalgic for my time in London. For someone not born within the sound of Bow Bells (for the uninitiated, the traditional definition of a Cockney) you have got the language just right.

I wonder what the shaggy dog stories would sound like in N. Irish. But then the accent varies quite a lot across the country, doesn’t it?
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
Oksana Weiss

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Better in Cockney Apr 14

Thanks, Anne! Not quite as chirpy in NI, more harsh, guttural and unlovely.

I haven't seen it for quite some time now, but I cast my mind back to EastEnders and imagine Pauline Fowler talking to her hapless hubby Arfur, something like that, or Angie and Dirty Den, and then I just write it down, innit?

Talking of Pauline and Arfur, I feel sad I never saw what's described as the "iconic moment" when Pauline clocks him with a frying pan. It doesn't get much more EastEnder
... See more
Thanks, Anne! Not quite as chirpy in NI, more harsh, guttural and unlovely.

I haven't seen it for quite some time now, but I cast my mind back to EastEnders and imagine Pauline Fowler talking to her hapless hubby Arfur, something like that, or Angie and Dirty Den, and then I just write it down, innit?

Talking of Pauline and Arfur, I feel sad I never saw what's described as the "iconic moment" when Pauline clocks him with a frying pan. It doesn't get much more EastEnderish workin' clarss than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoYtw36d1tE
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Chris T

P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Hollandia
Tag (2010 óta)
angol - olasz
+ ...
Aww bless my heart! Apr 14

Chris S wrote:

Nice one, me ol' china.

Keep forgetting I was almost a Cockney meself...

[Edited at 2021-04-14 08:50 GMT]

I thought ol' china was the short version of ol' china teapot = idiot, but that couldn't be right, could it?

It's ol' china plate = mate, duh!

Mervyn Henderson
Chris T
Zibow Retailleau

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
China Apr 14

Thanks, PLF, I hadn't realised the origins of "me old china" etc. Things have come to a pretty pass when these Eyeties are teaching us English, eh?

P.L.F. Persio
Chris T
Zibow Retailleau

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Footie Apr 15

Bilbao is now notching up 1,000 infections a day, the worst in the State, closely followed by Gasteiz (Vitoria) just down the road, say the headlines in the paper, adding that this comes just 10 days after all the mass footie send-offs and, a few days later, the mass homecoming celebrations in both Bilbao and San Sebastián. Could it just be a coincidence? Er, probably not.

And Bilbao fans will be working themselves up into a frenzy again ahead of Saturday's final in Sevilla - again
... See more
Bilbao is now notching up 1,000 infections a day, the worst in the State, closely followed by Gasteiz (Vitoria) just down the road, say the headlines in the paper, adding that this comes just 10 days after all the mass footie send-offs and, a few days later, the mass homecoming celebrations in both Bilbao and San Sebastián. Could it just be a coincidence? Er, probably not.

And Bilbao fans will be working themselves up into a frenzy again ahead of Saturday's final in Sevilla - again, but against Barcelona this time - but the police will be on hand here to disperse crowds. Considering the rioting that went on when this happened last time, it doesn't look good. One wonders why the police even have to waste their time with this kind of thing, because people don't self-discipline. I assume the police will also be on hand in Barcelona when they don't really need to be, if only people weren't so dense about it all.

[Edited at 2021-04-15 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Gerard Barry
Németország
német - angol
Infections Apr 15

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

And Bilbao fans will be working themselves up into a frenzy again ahead of Saturday's final in Sevilla - again, but against Barcelona this time - but the police will be on hand here to disperse crowds. Considering the rioting that went on when this happened last time, it doesn't look good. One wonders why the police even have to waste their time with this kind of thing, because people don't self-discipline. I assume the police will also be on hand in Barcelona when they don't really need to be, if only people weren't so dense about it all.

[Edited at 2021-04-15 13:04 GMT]

The increase in "cases" in so many countries is more than likely down to increased testing. People need to stop obsessing about the number of people who test positive and instead concentrate on the numbers who are very sick (i.e. in hospital) or dying from corona. These figures tell quite a different story.

Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Tag (2010 óta)
német - angol
+ ...
Cockney rhyming slang Apr 15

Cockney slang rhymes, so you have me ol' china (plate) = mate
titfer (tat) [tit for tat] = hat
apples and pears = stairs
trouble and strife = wife
And so on...The rhyming bit is often left out - me ol’ china, titfer. My knowledge of Cockney rhyming slang is not exhaustive, I’m afraid! When you hear it you have to think hard to make the connections.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F. Persio

Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
@GB Apr 15

Gerard Barry wrote:

The increase in "cases" in so many countries is more than likely down to increased testing. People need to stop obsessing about the number of people who test positive and instead concentrate on the numbers who are very sick (i.e. in hospital) or dying from corona. These figures tell quite a different story.

Is the story they tell one about the successful use of masks and distancing and other temporary minor inconveniences to cut cases and so save thousands of people’s lives?

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franciaország
Tag (2018 óta)
francia - angol
. Apr 15

Anne Maclennan wrote:

And so on...The rhyming bit is often left out - me ol’ china, titfer. My knowledge of Cockney rhyming slang is not exhaustive, I’m afraid! When you hear it you have to think hard to make the connections.

and the pigs and vicars!

Egyesült Királyság
svéd - angol
+ ...
Anne, we almost had a resident expert Apr 15

Anne Maclennan wrote:

Just to bring you up to speed:

https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/346976-completely_frivolous_thread-page24.html

Unless you have the threads upside down like I do, in which case it’s page 32...

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F. Persio

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
@Chris @Kay Apr 15

" ... where she cooked my father’s meat and two veg, maybe in more ways than one ..." - priceless, Chris! I'd forgotten about that one during your racy saga.

Kay - OK, you've got me, you've got me. Pigs and vicars?

P.L.F. Persio

Spanyolország
spanyol - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Westenders is on hold Apr 16

Liz and Phil will be back some time next week with Macron II. I know it didn't actually look like there was a second part, but it only occurred to me arfterwards, I mean afterwards, that there would be. If there wasn't much sanity in Macron I, don't go looking for it in Macron II.

I know I'm a cynical prat, though not so cynical I'm going to bring it out any time near tomorrow's funeral. But ... just you watch Monsieur Macron if they interview him, people, especially if it's full bo
... See more
Liz and Phil will be back some time next week with Macron II. I know it didn't actually look like there was a second part, but it only occurred to me arfterwards, I mean afterwards, that there would be. If there wasn't much sanity in Macron I, don't go looking for it in Macron II.

I know I'm a cynical prat, though not so cynical I'm going to bring it out any time near tomorrow's funeral. But ... just you watch Monsieur Macron if they interview him, people, especially if it's full body footage. Watch his fists clench as he speaks, remembering the final dénouement at the Queen Mum. Keywords: "Headcase Harrington", "Corgis", and "Charles Aznavour". I can say no more.

Well, maybe just a little more. Those keywords are intriguing, right? For me, too. Because I made up those keywords just a few seconds ago, with the exception of "Corgis", so, although I had a fair idea of most subsequent developments, some of it's going to be a surprise even to me next time. It's a new literary technique, known as "pre-committed no-return self-surprise", destined to be ignored by one and all.
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Chris T
P.L.F. Persio

Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 22:46
angol - kínai
+ ...
Eat Drink Man Woman Apr 18

This is the title of a film by a Taiwanese director, Ang Lee, but it is also a quote from the Book of Rites. It means that food, drink and sex are naturally desired by humans.

Indeed. But not only desired. I will say these three are meant to be shared as well, although the last one is more exclusive, except for swingers. As most of us are on lockdown we cannot easily wine and dine together. Spurred on by some of the friends here, I wo
... See more
This is the title of a film by a Taiwanese director, Ang Lee, but it is also a quote from the Book of Rites. It means that food, drink and sex are naturally desired by humans.

Indeed. But not only desired. I will say these three are meant to be shared as well, although the last one is more exclusive, except for swingers. As most of us are on lockdown we cannot easily wine and dine together. Spurred on by some of the friends here, I would like to share a few cooking-related stories. To those who are patient enough to read my babble, I hope these stories can stir your appetite.

Pressure cooker

Are you a purist when it comes to cooking? I am not. I always tweak my recipes. The Frenchman I have at home is one, though. Beef has to be cooked in butter, he says, or it will be ‘disgusting’. Funnily enough, said person has had beef stir-fried with peanut oil in Asia many a time and appreciated it every time.

My father is another purist. The old man is very fussy about rice. Rice has to be cooked in a pressure cooker, he says, or you cannot call it rice! Naturally, we had a pressure cooker when I was a kid. Besides rice, Father also cooked sweet mung bean soup in it. According to traditional Chinese medicine, the soup can ‘clear the dampness and reduce the heat’ in your body. True, several bowls of that soup entail several rounds of evacuation. After that, one should worry about dehydration instead of ‘dampness’.

The pressure cooker we had was of very poor quality. It exploded from time to time. When this happened the pressure valve would be ejected onto the low ceiling of our kitchen, followed by the contents in the cooker. That was why the ceiling of our kitchen was constantly speckled with blown rice and mung beans.

Whenever Father prepared dinner he would invariably cook rice first. Into the cooker went water and rice, and the cooker was put on the stove. High flame at the beginning. When the cooker started to happily whistle, Father would lower the heat. The whistling would continue, and the pressure valve would dance around on its own with steam shooting out of it. He would let it cook in this way for about ten minutes. After that, he would turn off the stove and leave it there until all other dishes were ready. Before dinner began, in order to release the pressure of the cooker, Father would carefully use a toothpick to turn the pressure valve. When there was no steam coming out of the valve he would open the cooker and use a shamoji, or a rice paddle, to fluff the rice. This step, fluffing the rice, is essential, no matter how you cook your rice. If you are not a hardcore rice eater and therefore do not own a shamoji, you can do it with a spoon or fork. When I was very young Father would perform the whole ritual, but as I grew older I was given the responsibility of fluffing and serving the rice. I remember when I fluffed the rice, soothing warm steam would curl upwards, along with the humble fragrance of freshly cooked rice. You do not have to take my word for it. Hanada in Branded to Kill likes it too.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Chris T

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Németország
Tag (2007 óta)
holland - német
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

Fifty shades of grey ... Apr 18

... or all the thousands of names Inuit may have for snow, not to forget hundreds of tints of the colour green the Irish (including NI) know, and all the Jones* living in Wales have, are nothing against the thousands of years old traditions the Chinese have in cooking rice. Even we Germans with our hundred of thousands different beers and breads look poor in view of that fact. Thank you, Zibow, for that nice rice piece of insight into Chinese culture.

* exchanged for "Toms"

[
... See more
... or all the thousands of names Inuit may have for snow, not to forget hundreds of tints of the colour green the Irish (including NI) know, and all the Jones* living in Wales have, are nothing against the thousands of years old traditions the Chinese have in cooking rice. Even we Germans with our hundred of thousands different beers and breads look poor in view of that fact. Thank you, Zibow, for that nice rice piece of insight into Chinese culture.

* exchanged for "Toms"

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-19 06:04 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Chris T

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »