I need to share TM's between a laptop and a PC. I have two licenses.
Thread poster: alfrag
alfrag
alfrag
Local time: 19:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 29, 2007

Hello, I have 1 Pc and 1 Laptop, I need to share Tm`s between them. I already have the 2 licenses. Any help is welcomed.
Alejandra Fraga

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-29 17:13]

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Sharing a TM May 29, 2007

Hi Alejandra,

If your PC and your laptop are already networked, it’s quite easy. I tried that and it worked fine. All you need is to follow the guidelines in the manual (see especially pages 20&21) .

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't understand... May 30, 2007

alfrag wrote:
Hello, I have 1 Pc and 1 Laptop, I need to share Tm`s between them.

Will you be working on both of these computers at the same time? Why would you want to do a thing like that? It would seem very confusing to me. How do you get the two computers to synchronise the document after/during the translation? Why not just do 1 hour's translation on the PC, then copy the TM to the laptop, then do 1 hour's translation on the laptop, then copy the TM back, etc?

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
USB stick? May 30, 2007

Is this an option, copy the tm on a usb and plug it in where necessary.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Here's how I do it May 30, 2007

To Samuel:

I do this all the time. The keyword here is 'synchronisation'. There are a lot of software applications that help you do that, over the network.

Why would anyone do that? Because I don't want to copy TM's (and documents) every time I change to another computer. Also, these computers synchronise automatically every day, a number of times per day, even per hour. That way, if something happens to one machine, I have my work still safe on the other one.
<
... See more
To Samuel:

I do this all the time. The keyword here is 'synchronisation'. There are a lot of software applications that help you do that, over the network.

Why would anyone do that? Because I don't want to copy TM's (and documents) every time I change to another computer. Also, these computers synchronise automatically every day, a number of times per day, even per hour. That way, if something happens to one machine, I have my work still safe on the other one.

So, if you want to share a TM, you need to set a location for the files that can be accessed from both computers, and set the path so that any changes will be automatically saved to that location. This location should be on the network, of course. My laptop searches for this location automatically every time I turn it on, to automatically synchronise its documents whenever I'm within reach of our network (wireless).

If you do not have a network that both your machines are connected to, a simple cable might do the trick. Otherwise an USB device (memory stick or harddisk) would probably be your best option.

Good luck!
Collapse

alfrag
alfrag
Local time: 19:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tm share May 30, 2007

Thank you all for your answers.

Margreet, your answer was exactly what i am needing.

Do you know any especial synchronization software?

Alejandra

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Power Folder May 30, 2007

Hi Alejandra,

right now I'm using a tool called Power Folder, but there's a lot more to choose from. Just Google for 'synchronise' or 'synchronisation' and you'll get quite a lot of hits, many of which will lead you to shareware.

It's best if you make a list of the features you need (what documents need to be synchronised, how many computers, how easily can you change the settings, etc, etc.) and then choose which tool suits you best.

Good luck!

... See more
Hi Alejandra,

right now I'm using a tool called Power Folder, but there's a lot more to choose from. Just Google for 'synchronise' or 'synchronisation' and you'll get quite a lot of hits, many of which will lead you to shareware.

It's best if you make a list of the features you need (what documents need to be synchronised, how many computers, how easily can you change the settings, etc, etc.) and then choose which tool suits you best.

Good luck!

Margreet
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need to share TM's between a laptop and a PC. I have two licenses.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »